Another well trained dog

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Caver 60, Oct 8, 2018.

1. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Sad.
    Bruno?

janice6 likes this.

2. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

There are reasons Police dogs are so expensive. Also why many people should not be K9 Officers.

You have trained this dog to attack humans. (I was told, do NOT know if true) they are NOt trained to avoid biting people in "Police type" uniforms. But to follow handlers lead.

Some people might not bond as well with the dog. Some dogs may not be as reliable as hoped.

Toss in arrest (my assumption it was stressful) and a tragedy happened.

I have met K-9s that are lovable babies when off. But a word from handler and I would be scared to be near it.

Caver 60 and janice6 like this.
  3. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Some dogs are just one person dogs. Works out great for a homeowner, but I guess not so much for a K9 handler who has to "adopt" his/her partner.

Some people should not be dog owners/K9 handlers.

Either or.

Caver 60 likes this.
  4. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

Was it doggie brainwashed by the Black Man Army?

5. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

AF dogs were the best trained dogs.

afdog.jpg

;)

6. holidaypf

holidaypf

Man, that's a rough one. I don't recall hearing about a working dog turning like that. (But my experience is mostly with working-while-tail-wagging bird dogs, or couch potatoes.)
    I would definitely like to learn how to train one like this:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="
    View: https://www.youtube.com/embed/Qq5sl-KFd-s
    " frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

When I was a Cub Scout we made a trip to Loring Air Force Base in northern Maine. One thing we got to see was a demonstration of the patrol dogs. I've been very cautious around German Shepards ever since. Smart dogs, and I've met some nice ones, but they got BIG old chompers on them.

orangejeep06 and Caver 60 like this.
  8. Rotn1

Rotn1

Too bad all around.

Bite work training is not for amateurs....... Just my humble opinion.

Surprisingly to most owners, only a relatively small percentage of dogs have the natural drive to bite, for instance most pets will not attack and defend against an intruder.
    Yes you can train them to do so...... But then the issue is training and control. Having a dog that will bite outside of police / millitary / security work is usually unnecessary and a liability. ( says the guy that's owned Rotties all his life)

ETA
    Don't get me wrong...... This type of training is great for those that really know what they are doing........

orangejeep06, 1L26 and Caver 60 like this.
  9. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

That's a shame to have to do, but understandable.

Caver 60 likes this.
  10. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Funny story time about AF working dogs. I was stationed permanent party at a base that trained doctors and nurses how to be AF officers. Every three weeks a new class would come in for two weeks to learn how to salute, AF protocols, etc. A extraordinary number of them liked to party after hours; so, of course we had a lot of parties.

One night we had one at the BOQ's that eventually spilled outside on the lawn; music, dancing, drinking, talking, etc. I was sitting with someone on the front steps and noticed an AF policeman walking toward the group from across an open field with a security dog on a leash. I assumed he was coming to tell us to tone it down A LOT.

As he got about 50 feet away, one of the nurses said, " Oh, Look, a doggie " and most of the nurses went over to talk to an 18 YO armed kid with a GSD. They were asking him questions, petting the dog, etc. My next door neighbor at the time was a new hospital administrator who stayed for a three month course, so I had known Ed for a while. He was a pretty fun loving ( loud ) guy, but sometimes drank a bit too much. This was one of those times.

He walked over to where the guard was, listened for a while and started ragging on the kid about how the dog didn't look that ferocious ( he was sitting there getting petted and wagging his tail ). He went on for too long evidently because I noticed the guy take a couple of turns on the leash around his hand, I told the girl i was with, " Watch this ".

He gave the dog a word command and he came flying up at Ed snarling, barking and raising hell. His leash ran out about two feet from Ed's face. He back pedaled so fast, he fell over backwards spilling his drink trying to get away. All the other people backed way up with the dog still trying to get Ed. Finally the guard gave another command and the dog just sat down and didn't give Ed a second thought. The guard said basically have a good evening, but hold the noise down. turned around and walked back from where he came from.

Ed heard a lot about that night for a long time.

:supergrin:

11. holidaypf

holidaypf

While I'd like to know how they do it, I agree entirely this is not for civilians!

Dynactus and Rotn1 like this.
  12. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 "Cynical Little me"

A few pieces of advice to anyone regarding dogs. Never, ever go up to a strange one you do not know without the owner being there. Never ever reach out to any strange dog, "and that includes foo-foo/Paris Hilton ones.

Never show fear to a dog. Now I suppose this one is hard to do unless you work with them and/or train them but fear gets them nervous and they will react by instinct. Many also have an instinct to try and provoke fear, called the predator instinct. I trained mt GSD to just avoid people and to go instantly to "down on belly". He'll growl and clown at other dogs but as soon as you turn then loose they are best of Pals playing grab butt.

But he's still an animal and he has a growl like a crocodile, thats why I bought him. He's really bad around the house, you just cant have him out unless its a delivery man he knows. He's never bitten but I never take the chance. They love him at the kennel, and visa versa, but they know dogs and how to handle them.

Who knows what set this one off? Maybe we'll never know.

13. fg17

fg17

The Air Force has an absolutely amazing K9 program at Lackland and Medina. But it is not just for the AF. They provide dogs and training for all branches of the service, also with civilian government agencies.

https://www.army.mil/article/56965/military_working_dogs_guardians_of_the_night

“In 1965, the Air Force prepped 40 handler-and-dog teams at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, for missions in Vietnam. The success of these teams, combined with those working in U.S. law enforcement agencies throughout the United States, would prompt the formation of the Air Force Security Police Dog Training School in 1967 at Lackland AFB. Throughout the next four decades, the program would grow into its current configuration as the Air Force Security Forces Center, Army Veterinary Corps and the 341st Training Squadron, the proponent for all things associated with military working dogs, to include a breeding program.

The squadron also implemented an adoption program in 2000 after Congress introduced the Robby Law. Until its passage, working dogs that could no longer provide service due to injury or age were euthanized, regardless of their temperament or loyal service. The Robby Law changed this procedure to allow service dogs to be adopted by private citizens, provided the dogs pass particular behavior assessments. However, the law prohibits adopted former service dogs from being used in a service capacity again.

With a second kennel facility located on Medina Annex about a mile away, Lackland AFB has approximately 900 dogs at any given time. The squadron's school trains about 270 multipurpose dogs a year, according to school officials. Not only does the school train new dogs, but it trains handlers and supervisors as well.

The school, which trains all the Department of Defense's K-9 personnel, offers the Specialized Dog Course (for dogs dealing with explosives or narcotics), Dog Handler's Course, Kennel Master Course and Combat Dog Tracker Course. The ultimate goal, explained Air Force Maj. William Roberts, the commander of the 341st Training Squadron, USAF, is to produce a dog that patrols and detects, either narcotics or explosives.”

14. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Told before.

Yrs back I considered the Air Force. I was in TX, called Lackland to meet at gate to check it out. At that time Lackland basicly waved anyone in. I was instructed where to park, return to main gate...

As I walked up blue ranger pickup parked by gate shack. K9. He got dog out who saw me and took off. Handler trying to call back. I was too far from my locked car, no decent place to go so I stopped, put hands out, waited. Dog stops @ dozen feet away ( felt like 3') barking, snapping...

Handler finally catches up, pulls dog back, then asks me "why didn't you run?" IMO stupid question to anyone who has dogs. You run, they drag you down.
    Then he says "what would you do if he bit you"? I then showed him my open knife hid because my hand was turned, blade along arm. "I would have tried to kill the dog"
    That really got him upset. But I didn't respect him, his dog didn't respect him. So no loss.

After posting I see FG17 post. Kinda funny.
    Btw in my case it was the handler who was untrained.

Caver 60 and Rotn1 like this.
  15. Dynactus

Dynactus The wind serenades a purified man.

GSDs are at times a lot smarter than their owners. Owning one requires more of a commitment than most people are willing and able to make. It's almost like having another full time job.

Caver 60 and pgg00 like this.
  16. fg17

fg17

Must have been a long time ago. The dog handling course at Lackland Air Force base is an intense 3 month course and is quite prestigious. The dogs cost between 7-10k and many dogs and handlers do not make the cut.

Caver 60, 1L26 and jimcorbin like this.
  17. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

The Malinois in that video was horrible. He did not fully engage the bad guy, he did not have a full bite or a good full grip on the sleeve and he was not in the fight. Lackluster obedience at best. The fact that the handler, who sucked too, was using a prong collar, fitted with an E collar device shows that he doesn't know how to train. That dog should want to rip a bad guy to pieces and he just wasn't showing any of it. If you have a schutzhund or IPO club near you, go and see how the dogs are supposed to perform. @AK_Stick @pgg00 @1L26

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Caver 60 and pgg00 like this.
  18. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

I train mine every day, tracking in the morning takes a little over an hour, obedience in the afternoon takes about 15 minutes. Protection 3 times a week at about 10 minutes each session. I have 11 more months before she is old enough to trial. I still work my older dog too, and now have him in scent detection training. It's not for lazy people.

Glockbug, Caver 60 and Dynactus like this.
  19. 1L26

1L26

You may all go to Hell and I will go to TEXAS!
    I've been working K9s since the very early 80s. Some if not most of these dogs are fun and great to be around but, when it's time to work they are not to be trifled with.

View attachment 460104
    42 Points of Impact!

Caver 60, Dynactus, jimcorbin and 3 others like this.