Another Toyota pedal stuck, stopped with CHP car...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by tbhracing, Mar 8, 2010.

1. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

Just incase you miss the bold, the driver was unable to turn the vehicle off OR shift into Neutral. I mentioned this earlier on GT, but some people didnt seem to get it.

www.sdnn.com/sandiego/2010-03-08/lo...ay-toyota-prius-stopped-on-i-8-by-chp-another

[​IMG]

A Toyota Prius, which was apparently speeding out of control due to a stuck accelerator, had to be slowed and stopped by a California Highway Patrol vehicle Monday, according to a CHP officer spokersperson.

The car, which was traveling eastbound on Interstate 8, was reportedly stopped by the patrol car, which drove in front of the runaway hybrid and engaged its brakes. The CHP was in communication with the male driver, who is traveling at about 90 miles per hour eastbound on I-8.

Radio traffic indicated the driver was unable to turn off the engine or shift the car into neutral.

The CHP considered using a spike strip to help slow the car, but was concerned it would cause the driver to lose control and crash. The car was finally stopped successfully near Descanso without injury. U.S. transport regulators have linked 52 deaths to crashes allegedly caused by sudden, unintended acceleration in Toyota cars.

Toyota Motor Sales USA Inc. said Thursday it was following up information from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that Toyota drivers have experienced unintended acceleration even after receiving the repair involved in the accelerator pedal recall.

The NHTSA has received more than 60 complaints from Toyota drivers who say their cars have sped up by themselves after being fixed to correct the problem. Toyota said most of these reports have yet to be verified but it is committed to investigating them.

An executive vice president, Takeshi Uchiyamada, said the Toyota brand was in “a serious crisis,” acknowledging the company must improve monitoring of consumer complaints and respond more quickly during crises.
    Toyota has been widely criticized, especially in the U.S., where most of the recalls have happened, as slow and unresponsive, and doubts are growing it may not be transparent or forthright about defects.

“The path to regaining trust remains tremendously difficult,” Uchiyamada said. “But I would like to work with all of you.” Toyota’s recalls have received widespread media attention in Japan, but loyalty to the company remains relatively strong.

The only models being recalled in Japan are hybrids, including the popular Prius, the nation’s top-selling car for 10 straight months, which is being repaired for an anti-lock braking glitch.

But Toyoda has repeatedly said the company’s rapid growth abroad may have gotten in the way of maintaining the highest standards of quality control. Tearful and his voice catching with emotion, Toyoda thanked workers for their support and promised that Toyota would rise again if the ranks stood together.

“I thought I was protecting everyone, but I realized I had merely been protected by everyone,” he said. Mitsuru Kawai, 62, a plant worker for more than 40 years, said Toyota will pull through the crisis, although he has never seen anything quite like it before.

“We went through the oil shock, the burst of the ‘bubble’ economy, and we’ve had recalls. But we’ve gone through all those hardships,” he said. “Overcoming all that has helped make Japan stronger, and I am going to keep working.”

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  2. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

This can't be true. Its a Toyota and only Ford/Chevy/Dodge make cars with problems like this. So we know its physically not possible.

3. JMarch

JMarch ♩. ♪ ♫ ♪ ♬♩

i read this and thought "how does a concealed handgun permit stop a car???" lol

4. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

I do have one question- Looking at the included picture- couldnt you use your foot and pull the pedal back toward you?

5. Gonetodarkside

Gonetodarkside owl protector

I would think about 2 minutes and a sawzaw would handle that problem ahead of time.

6. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

I can only remember the people here on GT calling the officer who lost his life (along with his family) in Lexus with the names.

7. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

I don't understand why the cars brakes won't slow it down even with a stuck accelerator, and I still don't understand why the cars are unable to be shifted into neutral or park, and cannot be shut off either. That would be a complete failure of the cars computer, and I find that highly unlikely.

8. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

I haven't seen Lance Oregon posting here lately. :dunno:

9. CaliColin

CaliColin

Maybe. Probably. But many people will panic first and choose to call the cops instead. Yes, even the cops call the cops.

10. S.O.Interceptor

S.O.Interceptor Khem-Adam

Yes. This is hardly a new phenomenon. Floor mats have stuck many thousands of gas pedals. I've had it happen several times in several different vehicles. All you have to do is put your toe under and lift. I figured that out when I was 15. It's not like that floor mat is made of steel. But most people panic and can't handle even the slightest stress and simply repeatedly stomp the pedal down harder and harder for some reason.

And I'd be shocked as hell if there as any actual mechanical problem that prevented the vehicle from shifting into neutral or turning off the ignition. Again the driver probably got tunnel vision and couldn't stop panicking enough to stop the car.

11. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

March Car&Driver:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/09q4/how_to_deal_with_unintended_acceleration-tech_dept

Hit the Brakes

Certainly the most natural reaction to a stuck-throttle emergency is to stomp on the brake pedal, possibly with both feet. And despite dramatic horsepower increases since C/D’s 1987 unintended-acceleration test of an Audi 5000, brakes by and large can still overpower and rein in an engine roaring under full throttle. With the Camry’s throttle pinned while going 70 mph, the brakes easily overcame all 268 horsepower straining against them and stopped the car in 190 feet—that’s a foot shorter than the performance of a Ford Taurus without any gas-pedal problems and just 16 feet longer than with the Camry’s throttle closed. From 100 mph, the stopping-distance differential was 88 feet—noticeable to be sure, but the car still slowed enthusiastically enough to impart a feeling of confidence. We also tried one go-for-broke run at 120 mph, and, even then, the car quickly decelerated to about 10 mph before the brakes got excessively hot and the car refused to decelerate any further. So even in the most extreme case, it should be possible to get a car’s speed down to a point where a resulting accident should be a low-speed and relatively minor event.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  12. ElevatedThreat

ElevatedThreat NRA Member

Is the transmission also controlled by the fly-by-wire system that controls throttle setting?

If not, then why would a stuck gas pedal or even malfunctioning throttle software prevent shifting the car into neutral?

These would seem to be unrelated systems.

Cars are not possessed by demons or evil spirits. They are mechanical devices. I can see why the ignition could not be turned off, since the car was not in Park. That makes perfect sense.

But if we are being asked to believe that the car could not be shifted into neutral, then someone is going to have to offer a plausible explanation, in mechanical terms, for why that should be so.

So far no one has done so, and given what I know about how cars work, I do not believe it.

-ET

13. fyrecrotch

fyrecrotch

Remove the floor mat. Problem solved. Now, where's my millions of $$??

14. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

I'm an engineer, & I got the same problems you do:

This is largely a human factors problem....

15. tylernt

tylernt Special Member

[​IMG]

16. Jon91N/A

Jon91N/A

It's not that they can't, it's that the people driving them are FREAKING MORONS whose knowledge of automobiles is remedial at best.

17. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

ET,

im not sure but i would guess it is some sort of fly by wire / electronic link,

wouldnt suprise me in the least ..

there is something to be said about a solid connection ..

i have enough problems in my truck with a throttle position sensor .. let alone taking out all real hard connections

18. PH-Wolf

PH-Wolf

I had the throttle stick on a 2005 Toyota forklift. :rofl::rofl:
    Even their forkllifts do it.

19. Bruce H

Bruce H

Plain and simple, somebody's lying.

20. tylernt

tylernt Special Member

Actually you should be able to turn the car off. You may not be able to withdraw the key from the slot unless you're in P, but definitely rotate it to off.