Another thrift shop find. Stickley chair.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Detectorist, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Detectorist

Detectorist

$6.00 Maybe 1970ish. I've never seen this style before. Can't find it on the Internet, either.

Stickley_chair.jpg Stickley_Logo.jpg

n2g, orangejeep06, sombunya and 5 others like this.
  2. DaveD

DaveD Ex-Mod Moderator Millennium Member

Great find! They are still very much in business and have a historian in house. Give them a call in Syracuse.

3. Current Resident

Current Resident

The reason you can't find it on the net or never seen it before is cuz it's in yer house

Looks cool, nice find! :cheers:

Detectorist likes this.
  4. Chui

Chui

AWESOME FIND!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Detectorist

Detectorist

I might do that. All of the Stickley chairs I've seen have square like legs. This one is different.

6. DaveD

Stickley is great stuff. We have a houseful of it. I ran the company that sold them all of the sandpaper they used in manufacturing. The processes are amazing and almost nothing is put into inventory with a finish on it. That is how they control quality. When you order something they pull it and get it into finishing.

It goes from finishing into a truck to deliver. It still takes 8-12 weeks once you order.

They use so much sandpaper that 3M has a 3M employee in the plant 16 hours a week.

They also make a special serialized piece every year. We have a few of those.

Between Stickley and Mackenzie-Childs my wife has very expensive decorating taste.

cougar_ml and Detectorist like this.
  7. Detectorist

Detectorist

It needs re-gluing as it's a little lose. I used to do that work but don't anymore. I might just put it on CL for $150-$200.

DaveD likes this.
  8. DaveD

I've sent your photos to our local store manager to see if they can date it. Stay tunned.

JLA and Green Dragoon like this.
  9. Detectorist

Detectorist

Thank you!! I'm thinking 1970ish.

10. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

Yeah, most of the "classic" Stickley furniture has "square" legs since it is/was "mission" and "craft" style furniture. When tastes changed, they started doing furniture in other styles. That's how they've stayed relevant as a furniture maker.

Side note: I love classic, mission/craft Stickley and I continue to custom order pieces for my home. The "custom" comes in the fact that you can buy the same piece with different woods and stains to match something else you already have.

Apologies for being long winded.....I'm just a huge fanboy of Stickley.

11. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

Lots of people probably walked past that chair not realizing it was Stickley.

It is finds like that that keep you coming back. Congrats.

12. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

I told you I was a fan :) C089F959-CFE5-4767-B268-65A34ADFA9ED.jpeg

Detectorist and Batesmotel like this.
  13. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Gustav’s brothers also made furniture on their own for a time. I could be one of their designs.

E6B6B708-5E85-47AC-A9BF-4A68A19E6E3E.jpeg

I love the Mission style. Someday I want an original but for now copies have to do.

n2g, Detectorist and Green Dragoon like this.
  14. DaveD

Here you go:

Hi Dave,

Your inquiry has been forwarded to my attention. Please see the following for information about the Cherry Valley collection and the No. 68 Side Chair.

Around 1920 as the earlier Mission Oak designs waned in the furniture market, Leopold Stickley began designing new furniture bearing specific elements seen in Early Colonial American styles. The popularity of these designs was bolstered by post WWI enthusiasm for all things American rather than of European origins. When the Metropolitan Museum of Art opened its Early American Wing in 1926, the style was confirmed as officially "popular." The emergence of collections at Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia in 1937 and Delaware's Winterthur Museum simply added to the appeal. As popular home design turned from Arts & Crafts Mission to American Colonial, Stickley responded with furniture to fill the rooms. As early as 1925 the collection was called L & J G Stickley Early American, and by 1940 it was renamed the Stickley Cherry Valley Collection and was in production until the mid-1980s.

1940 Advertisement

Solid cherry was the predominant wood used in the line, but it was not unusual to see maple used for table and chair legs, bedposts, and drawer sides. Hickory and ash were commonly used for chair spindles and bending's. Pine was used in various ways as chair seats or door panels. For a short time in the 1950's elm, which was being cut down in Syracuse due to Dutch Elm disease, found its way into some Stickley items.

One thing that remained constant despite the variations in wood species was the commitment to craftsmanship. Dovetail cross-rails, three drawer guides, tongue and groove glue joints, splined mirror joints, pinned mortise and tenon joinery on chair and table legs as well as on doors were only a few of the features developed as this collection continued its popularity through the decades.

A year before his death in 1957, Leopold Stickley was proclaimed "Revered Dean of Cabinetmakers" by editors of magazines including FORTUNE and NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC and retailers such as Marshall Fields in Chicago and E. J. Audi in New York who was the largest Stickley dealer during those later years. Alfred Audi and his wife Aminy purchased the company in 1974, and their family has maintained the same commitment to craftsmanship begun by Leopold and John George Stickley many years ago. Our website has the whole story.www.stickleymuseum.com

Here is a link to an online copy of the L & J G Book A Developing Furniture Style from the Hathi Trust Digital Library. It provides historical context for many of the Cherry Valley designs from the perspective of the company in 1950.

STICKLEY

FAYETTEVILLE

SYRACUSE

This brand is the most common shopmark. It was used from the early 1930's through the mid 1970's. There are at least 4 separate brand designs just slightly different from each other. Through the slight variations we can narrow the date of manufacture. Dating the pieces with a month, day and year was sporadic in practice but generally seen more in the late 1950's onward.

The No. 68 Side Chair only appears in the 1937 and 1941 L. & J. G. Stickley Cherry Valley catlaogs indicating that its production was short lived. It is made of maple and would have had an upholstered or woven rush seat.

You can watch a Facebook Live Video for more information about this Cherry Valley Collection.

Live Facebook presentations Stickley Museum Live Cherry Valley Collection

The Stickley Museum policy prohibits comments on value or appraisals. We recommend appraisals from the Antique Dealers Association http://www.adadealers.com/

At this point in the history of this collection, the correct value is the price that suits both the seller and the buyer. It is critical to understand the current selling prices are not related to the current selling prices of new Stickley furniture.

Regarding value, it is essential to understand that this collection has not yet attained antique status. I believe that this furniture will be among the prized antiques of the future, but we must wait another few decades. We must also be cautious not to confuse the value of the earlier Mission furniture with this collection. The two lines were separate and distinct.

Factors under consideration when establishing value for objects from this vintage include:

Style: Though all Stickley is classic, it may not be as stylish as when originally purchased.

Condition: Well-kept furniture is always more valuable than unkempt.

Color: As with style, color tones change with public taste.

Collectability: How many people are collecting these pieces right now?

Availability: How hard is it to find these pieces?

Price History: How much have pieces like these sold for in estate sales or auctions?

It is helpful to know the original finish on Cherry Valley pieces from this vintage is orange shellac and is very sensitive to cold or hot water, alcohol, heat, sunlight, and plastic or vinyl’s so keep these things off the finish. If the finish is sticky or waxy or just lost its luster, it can be restored. However, our official recommendation is to seek the services of a professional restorer.

A casual observation of internet auction web sites can help understand the current market value. Be sure to look at “completed items” as in the link below to see real sale prices rather than asking prices. You can change the search parameters but here are some typical searches on eBay that will be helpful. However, be diligent and realize that even selling prices are not always the most accurate indicators of market value. Another useful online site that has many Stickley pieces is www.charish.com

STICKLEY CHERRY VALLEY

STICKLEY CHAIR

I hope this helps. Feel free to reply back if you have any additional questions.

All my best,

Amanda L. Clifford

Director, The Stickley Museum

JLA likes this.
  15. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

Local furniture in Columbus used to hold an annual Stickley demo sale. Stickley would bring by the furniture they had used the previous year at trade shows and sell it all off. I had a number of pieces of Stickley furniture. The Ex took it all in the divorce. It is about all she wanted (besides half the value of the house and half my retirement).

These are couple of the pieces we had.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. CAcop

CAcop

We have a Stickley table that my parents liberated from a relative via a marriage 50+ years ago. They were using it as a plant stand and was all stained up. My dad took it to his dad's place and belt sanded all but one coffee ring stain.

17. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

Ouch.

Detectorist likes this.