close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Another sub 40

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Terminator, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Terminator

Terminator

Big Congrats to Grady W. for breaking the sub 40 barrier again this year at Lexington. :thumbsup: :cheers: :cheers: :pepper: :pepper: :wave: :wave: :thumbsup:

2. GLW

GLW

Thanks Term,

Glad to have you back!

3. Archangel Mike

Archangel Mike

Next.....to do it in a STOCK gun division!

:angel:

4. Houngan

Houngan

Grady, what model are you using for MajorSub?

H.

5. ede

ede Bama's Friend

pretty sure Grady uses a G30 in M Sub like just about everyone else.

6. GLW

GLW

I use a G-30 in Major Sub. The only mods are a 3.5 lb connector, some skateboard tape on the grip panels and new sights.

The rear is a Dawson adjustable and the front is an Ameriglo narrow plain post.

The gun is a tack driver out of the box. Hope this helps. Grady

7. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Grady; remember that it all depends on who is swinging the hammer. :thumbsup:

8. weakeyes

weakeyes

Congrads, Grady, I am afraid I am going to have to start swimming with the sharks, and have no doubt I will be quickly devoured. I am trying to make a choice for Msub, why the 30 over the 36 ? It seems the 30 is used most,just wondered why.
    Thanks Bill B

9. ede

ede Bama's Friend

bill my guess is glock sells more 30s than 36s plus it can use 21 mags. i just switched from a 39 to 29 for MSub and from one match impressed with the results. i wish GSSF would open MSub up for the 38 since it holds less than 10 rounds. back when the 38 first came out GSSF had it as legal for MSUb and i bought one and two weeks later it wasn't legal and mine has sat in the safe unused.

10. weakeyes

weakeyes

Thanks for the info ede. could you elobrate a bit on the difference in the 39 and 29 I have never fired either.

thanks Bill B

11. GLW

GLW

Bill,

For me, the decision between the G30 and G36 was made based on how the frame fit my hand. Before competing in major sub, I borrowed both a 30 and 36 from a friend. I found that the 30 distributed the recoil over a greater cross-section of the palm of my hand, which gave the impression of less felt recoil and greater control. This will undoubtly be a personal choice based on your hand size, etc.

The way a frame fits my hand is one of the most important considerations for me in any handgun I shoot. Back in my IPSC days, I once bought a brand new SV Infinity and took a dremel to the frame before my credit card had cooled off. That's how particular I am about gun fit (I have since completed a 12 step program to help control these urges). Fortunately, the Glock fits me pretty well as is.

I would recommend that you try both models before making a decision. Check that you can reach the trigger of the 30 without applying pressure to the side of the frame during the trigger press. Hope this helps and let us know what you decide.

12. ede

ede Bama's Friend

bill the 39 is the GAP and the same size as the 26 and 27, 9 and .40. the 29 is a 10mm and the same size as the 30. mine is pretty soft to shoot and my 30 isn't reliable so i use the 29. like grady said it comes down to personal preferance.

13. weakeyes

weakeyes

Many thanks to Grady and EDE, you gave me some good info. I just need to shoot the different guns and make a choice.You have given me a starting place.Hope to meet you guys in person.
    Thanks again Guys
    Bill B

14. gary newport

gary newport

Out of curiosity, why did you give up on the G39?

15. BCarver

BCarver Millennium Member CLM

Grady,
    Once, again, congratulations on another "sub 40". We are all VERY proud of your performance. With your guidance and coaching, I'm betting that Conlon may someday soon be the youngest to shoot a sub 40. Here's to both your performances.:banana: :banana: :banana: :jumpingjacks: :jumpingjacks: :banana: :banana: :banana:

16. BCarver

BCarver Millennium Member CLM

WeakEyes,
    I agree with Grady, choose a model that fits your hand properly. I chose the G30 because it fits my hand and is extremely accurate. Since I've always been a fan of .45 autos, the G30 was my choice. I owned a G36 when they first hit the market and it wouldn't group to meet my expectations so I sold it immediately.

My stock G30 has skate tape on the grips, has a GSSF Legal Rhea Gun Stock Trigger kit (all Glock parts just polished) and I use Ameriglo front and rear sights. I use a fixed standard black sight for the rear with a .150" notch and a .090" wide front sight. The low profile rear sight with the wide notch allows me to see through the the sight and at the target clearly. The wider notch allows my old eyes more light and I can see the front sight clearer. To see some of the sights that I'm describing, you may want to go to www.ameriglo.com

Bill, if I can answer anymore questions, just let me know.

Regards,
    Bobby

17. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i wasn't very sucessful with it. love the GAP round but i just didn't do well with the 39 in MSub, on the other hand i had great results with the 27 in Sub and they're the same size frame. i had the 29 in my safe and had never used it so i worked up a few rounds that were soft to shoot and reliable and gave it a try at lexington. results were as good if not better than with the 39 so i'm taking the 10mm to pensacola. i've laoded up enough 10mm ammo to last all of next year shooting it in MSub. my 30 has a feeding problem, with factory ammo, or i'd be using it.

18. Houngan

Houngan

Thanks for the info, Grady. I wanted something that I could use in AmSub until I win the next two guns, and then use in MajorSub. I'm too cheap to buy a bunch of guns for games. :) Sounds like the 30 is the choice for me.

Also, if anyone is looking for 30 mags, Bluegrass Indoor in Louisville has a bunch for sale, 18$ each.

H.

19. GLW

GLW

H,

Sorry that I didn't notice the fact that you were from Louisville. If you would like to try a g-30 before buying one, I'd be happy to let you try mine. I also have a NIB g-36 that I've been waiting for an excuse to get dirty. Just pm me and we can set up a time to meet. Hope to see you soon. Thanks for the tip on the mags.

20. Houngan

Houngan

I'm about to stop working weekends, so I'm going to be a regular fixture at the local IPSC shoots at Silver Creek. BTW, I'm Matt Griffin, we've met before, but my work schedule kept me from attending many matches. I won the AmComp at Wilmore, so I'll be using the certificate for the G30.

H/MG