close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Another sight question

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by trlcavscout, Sep 1, 2011.

1. trlcavscout

trlcavscout

So I bought a gen 4 G26 for everyday/GSSF use and want to put more of a target sight on it that wont break the bank. But I have no idea on sizes etc? Can some one point me in the direction of some sights please?

Also I noticed their is not as much available in adjustable rear sights, should I stick with non-adjustable solid black rear, or go adjustable?

This is gonna be my everyday driver until my dealer gets some G17's in, maybe in 2015 :dunno:

2. table

table

not to hijack but was gonna post a thread about sights also. just received the Ameriglo fiber optic sight #GF-165-130R. i would like to get a solid black rear but am questioning the size. i have a Gen4 17 and measured the existing rear sight gap to be .140" is that right? Ameriglo has them available in .150" and .180" gaps. just wanted to know if my rear gap measurement of the stock sight is correct. if it is, should i go .150" or jump to .180" gap? thanks.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  3. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i file my rear sight to around .175", I like wide so I can see. It's a bit of personal preferance and what works for you. i don't like adjustable sights on Glocks, I use Heinie rear and AmeriGlo front.

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

I'd go with the 150.

5. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I use Warren Sevigny Competitions. But here's the great thing about Dawson sights... they have a HUGE selection of front sights (different height/widths) to match pretty much any application. For example, with my preferred reload, with my G17 my POI was high. So I ordered a higher black serrated front sight of the proper height from them. From the side (profile) it looks a little different than the original, but via the sight picture... looks exactly the same.

They have all black sights, fiber optics, whatever you want. For the rears, Heinie's are really popular and I'd guess similar to my Warrens. If you decide you don't have the right "air" around your front sight, just get a new slimmer/wider front sight. They're cheaper and easier to install anyway.

So get a set of something, shoot the gun and determine if your POI is correct, and whether or not you like the sight picture. You can then order one new front sight that should correct both issues, if necessary.

6. mike g35

mike g35

I use the Dawson adjustables and I have never had any issues with them. I have switched from a .100w front to a .125w becase the wider front sight helps me. There are alot of combinations of rear and front sight available from dawson in a bunch of different heights and widths.

7. Alexd29

Alexd29 Go Bucks!

I use warren/sevignys on my 17 and 34.

I had heinie slant pros on my 26. I ended up going back to the stock plastic sights.

All i did was switch the rear aroung so it was all black. I like this alot better, and my times went down by about 15 seconds in Sub Compact. Everyone is different though. It took me a while to get used to the warren/sevignys because there is a lot more room to bracket the front sight.

I do think they are better for faster target acquisition, especially on events like the plates.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  8. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

I have warren/sevignys on my G17, and I just purchased Ameriglo Hackathorn GL-433 for my G27. I like the orange circle with the green dot for the front and plain back combo for the rear.
    Greg

9. GlockinRandall

GlockinRandall Member

For what your gonna use it for, i wouldn't mess with an adj. sight. Sights are pretty much a personal preference so you'll end up using what you are comfortable with. I have tried LOTS of different sights and combinations, and spent alot of money, and ended up using the cheapest ones that I tried, the Ameriglo GT-500 set that DannyR mentioned. I think you still get a GSSF discount on them too. They have a .150 rear notch and a .090 wide front sight and are all black. If you don't like all black sights, I think they have other sight combinations that you can mix and match. You can also get different height rear sights to help get the point of impact that you want for the round you use.

10. GlockinRandall

GlockinRandall Member

Just looked at Ameriglo's website, they have a boatload of different height front sights now too. Thats pretty cool.

11. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Agreed... having the different height front sights is preferable to changing out rear sights. Tend to be cheaper, and don't need a sight pusher, just an appropriate hex nut wrench.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  12. trlcavscout

trlcavscout

I havent bought factory ammo in over a year, last night I thought I would grab a 100rd value pack of 9mm at wally mart, after seeing the price I will wait a week or so to get my PD bullets in! WOW $12/50 Federal 9mm? It was like $25/100 WWB? Tula steel case for $9.88/50 WTH :faint: So I will have to order a set, check the POI then probably order other fronts.

13. GlockinRandall

GlockinRandall Member

Yeah Ron59, you're right! Especially when im changing out rear sights with a hammer, oak dowel rod, and a vice mounted to a piece of plywood! lol.

14. GlockinRandall

GlockinRandall Member

Hey trlcavscout, just a suggestion, if you were gonna get a set of Ameriglo sights, you might wanna get the GT-501 set because it comes with a taller rear sight than the GT-500 and it would give you some room to play with poa-poi with all the different front sights.