Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes us old guys get to laugh. Yep the .40 had fallen from grace and the cheap police trade ins were everywhere.. Even the ones with fish gills.

We were ridiculed for our preference of a fabulous caliber that was easy to load for. A .40 loaded to minor is a joy to shoot. In my small sample of about a dozen shooters, with about half being female, everyone liked the minor .40. Everyone liked the minor .40 better than nato equivalent 9mm rounds.

Smacking plates and slow push recoil are a wonderful combination.

Fast forward to the recent Covid insanity. How's your favorite ammo supply?

Shout out to SG Ammo. Good people, great products and real prices! Just had 500 rounds of premium .40 ammo delivered cheaper than the 9mm equivalent.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/40-c...ed-hollow-point-winchester-ranger-service-amm

So my furlough summer project is to load 10K rounds of SNS 180 FP's and as many Zero 180's as my shoulder will allow.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I just bought my 2nd 9mm (Glock 19) to open up my carry options. I’m almost having buyers remorse, missing the .40. I’ve been reading how the 9mm Defense rounds are upping the bullet weights to near 150 gr to achieve better results, and I’m beginning to wonder why I switched in the first place. Why did we as gun owners follow Jim Comey’s advice and pick the round his Dept chose? (That’s a joke :drool:)
I love my G35 gen4 that I keep as my night stand pistol. It’s served me well in some classes and on the range in general. Long live the .40!

·
Registered
36,224 Posts
I have to agree, 40 minor is a joy to shoot. As far as ammo, I do get weary of those in angst over their ammo supply. You either keep a year or two reserve supply, or better still, start reloading. 2012-13 should have been a wake up call for serious shooters, this 2020 poop show should really be miving you guts & gals tommore self reliance. Yes primers are in short supply, but cheaper/easier to stockpile 10k primers vs 10k rds of ammo.

·
M62/76
12,540 Posts
I’ve ccw’d a 9mm since 2012 and carried a .40 a lot prior to that and while the 9mm has come a long way ballistically, the .40 is still a fantastic cartridge.

·
1,426 Posts
OK... I admit I'm uninformed... what is "minor" .40? On a happy note, I finally found and acquired a shiny new gen 4 G23. :exercise: Long live the .40S&W!

Reactions: treg and Quijibo

·
Federal Member
29,536 Posts
4 out of the 5 Glocks I own are .40

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
461 Posts
I to have no idea what a 40 minor cartridge is either. But I’m still carrying my Kahr P 40 I purchased new in 2000, I rotate a Glock 27 with the Kahr but the Kahr is a lot easier to carry.

Reactions: rayzer007

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
OK... I admit I'm uninformed... what is "minor" .40? On a happy note, I finally found and acquired a shiny new gen 4 G23. :exercise: Long live the .40S&W!
Bullet weight in grains times velocity in feet per second equal to 125000 is minor. In competition, e.g. IDPA, USPSA, you must be at least at or greater than minor for certain divisions. A 180 gr 40 at 695 fps just makes minor.

·
Banned
547 Posts
"Because unless you hit something vital, it doesn't matter what you hit them with. You could hit them with a .45 in the shoulder, they're gonna survive. You hit them with a 9mm in the shoulder, they're gonna survive. You hit them with a .22 in the brain they could die. So, stopping a threat really does not come down to caliber, it is shot placement."
https://www.policemag.com/374542/a-trauma-surgeon-talks-about-wound-ballistics-and-stopping-power

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/bella-twin-the-22-used-to-take-the-1953-world-record-grizzly-and-more/#axzz6Mzx3Ekmh

·
1,426 Posts
Bullet weight in grains times velocity in feet per second equal to 125000 is minor. In competition, e.g. IDPA, USPSA, you must be at least at or greater than minor for certain divisions. A 180 gr 40 at 695 fps just makes minor.
Thanks for the information. I learned something new today. :)

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I am a fan of the S&W 40. Don't reload but that "minor" load sounds like a great paper puncher. Do you know of an comercial loader that sells that load? Thanks.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Win 180 JHP Good stuff its what I carry.
Fifty years from now it will be laser's and light sabers anyway, so enjoy your Glock(s) in any caliber while you can.

·
Texas Born & Bred
3,577 Posts
I've gone from "what is the point of this caliber" to having just about all of my carry guns in .40. My initial dislike was more from the platform than the caliber. In my Sigs and two of my Berettas, I found the caliber very enjoyable to shoot and, in my opinion, a better more effective round for self-protection than 9mm. I would prefer to carry my .45's, but don't feel that I'm giving up much by carrying .40, in fact gaining capacity.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have to agree, 40 minor is a joy to shoot. As far as ammo, I do get weary of those in angst over their ammo supply. You either keep a year or two reserve supply, or better still, start reloading. 2012-13 should have been a wake up call for serious shooters, this 2020 poop show should really be miving you guts & gals tommore self reliance. Yes primers are in short supply, but cheaper/easier to stockpile 10k primers vs 10k rds of ammo.
I don't think it's legal for me to stockpile a year or two's worth of reserve under state laws. I can burn through 1,000rds in a weekend.

·
Registered
36,224 Posts
I don't think it's legal for me to stockpile a year or two's worth of reserve under state laws. I can burn through 1,000rds in a weekend.
States may vary but I do NOT believe there is any restriction on storing ammo. There are fire codes for storing primers & powders, but not ammo. Why some guns shops will have 1000s of rounds on shelves & no powder or primers. So pretty sure it is legal in Wash but even if not, who cares, they aren't coming to search your house.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
My 40 S&W small game/pest load which is a Missouri Bullet 170 grain lead SWC over 4.0 grains of W231 in range pickup brass, for about 800 fps. Recoil is nil and on game it just about duplicates the 45ACP 200 grain target SWC. Groundhogs hit longways, from either end, are DRT.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The pr
States may vary but I do NOT believe there is any restriction on storing ammo. There are fire codes for storing primers & powders, but not ammo. Why some guns shops will have 1000s of rounds on shelves & no powder or primers. So pretty sure it is legal in Wash but even if not, who cares, they aren't coming to search your house.
The problem is RCW 70.74.330 and my insurance :D

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
I think the first time I heard about the 40 S&W falling from grace was in 2012.
I'm pretty sure people were saying it before that, but I just wasn't paying attention.

It must be a really long fall!

I still like the 40 and have one as a backup to my 10mm.

Reactions: TxDave

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
I don't know of any restrictions to how much ammo can be stockpiled, but if there is such a limit, I might need to relable some heavy boxes.
110864181-us-army-ammo-box-with-ammunition-belt-isolated-on-white-background.jpg

1 - 20 of 70 Posts