Glock Talk banner

Another Question for the Mechanics A/C Related

261 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Simi_gun_guy
/

My 1993 GMC Sonoma fun truck developed an A/C leak and lost its refrigerant. This truck sits for months at a time so I figured small leak no big deal and refilled it. Within a couple days it lost its refrigerant again.

I purchased this leak detector and found some small but several leaks at the Schrader valves and o-ring connections.

I purchased a Schrader valve and o-ring seal kit and replaced everything I could easily reach.

I also purchased this a/c leak sealer that is supposed to be some sort of miracle fix. I got this for all the o-rings I am not replacing.

I put the system under vacuum and to my surprise it is holding at -29 on the dial and has been for a few hours after turning the pump off.

So my question is should I go ahead and ad the leak sealer or since it appears I have fixed the leaks just recharge it and see what happens?

/
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
675 Posts
If it holds don't add the leak sealer. Most recharging refrigerant has a leak sealer onboard. If a slow leak occurs, consider the additional sealant. For at least the near term, run the system every day or so to condition your new seals. My $.02, of course YMMV!

· Registered
1,468 Posts
If you use the system periodically it’ll help circulate the oil on the system, also helping to keep your refrigerant instilled.
Also, I’d keep the vacuum for a longer time to see how well it’s really holding. A shop would probably fill & tell you to come ‘n get it.

my 2¢

Ed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts