Another question for the GT mechanics, any 2-stroke guys?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Adjuster, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Ollies930

Ollies930

The size on those big marine diesels is amazing. You can literally climb into the cylinder to inspect the liners and when necessary the pistons can be disconnected/disabled on individual cylinders while en route due to a two piece connecting rod design.

Caver 60, treg, pgg00 and 1 other person like this.
  2. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Al lot of small 4-strokes use a "splash" system. A paddle, if you will, attached to the crankshaft end of the pistol rod. But you don't have to get very big to get a pressurized system, I've seen pressurized systems in engines as small a 5-6 HP (I think it was a John Deere push mower).

3. Con43

Con43

FACTS ABOUT TWO-STROKE VESSEL ENGINES
    • Two-stroke engines are not "banned" for use on all waterways in California, nor is there any plan to do so.
    • Carbureted and electronic-injection two-stroke engines are considered high-emission engines. Generally, these engines were manufactured prior to 1999.
    • A carbureted two-stroke engine can emit up to 25-30 percent of its fuel unburned into the water or atmosphere, which is why high-emission engines are prohibited on some lakes.
    • There are no salt-water or river restrictions in California on high-emission two-stroke engines, excluding personal watercraft (vessels such as Jet Skis) bans in some areas. For example, San Francisco has prohibited personal watercraft within 1200 feet of its shoreline. See "Local Restrictions" on our web page below for a list of lakes.
    • Direct injection two-stroke engines, made since 1999, are considered clean emission engines and can be used on every water body in California, with some exceptions not related to emission limits.
    • A direct injection two-stroke engine will normally have a label sticker (with 1 to 3 stars) on its engine cover indicating that it meets California Air Resources Board emission regulations for 2001, 2004, and 2008 for vessel engine manufacturers.

RenoF250 likes this.
  4. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

When I posted I forgot about the exhaust, the outlet was the size of a pencil, lol. That was one of the first things to go. :D

5. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

It was named the pea shooter. Yamaha sells/sold an upgraded insert to replace the pea shooter and I put one on one of my WRs and it was nice sounding and it opened it up quite nicely. Honestly, I couldn't tell any performance difference between it and the FMF Q4 exhaust I put on the other one.

Rinspeed likes this.
  6. Hoochrunners

Hoochrunners

My Evinrude oil ratio is 100:1.

7. pgg00

pgg00

Just wait until some redneck tries to do a swap with that :D

FullClip and treg like this.
  8. Malicent

Malicent

I owned one of two stroke Saabs. I never worried about engine braking, in fact two strokes barely display that trait. No engines replaced on my car. Great winter car. So aerodynamical that no wind came in with front windows rolled down. 4 speed-stick on the tree was a little less than ergonomic. But it was a fun car!

PS I loved the power surge of a two-stroke motorcycle with expansion chamber(s) coming on pipe. I had an OSSA and Husky two stroke that were great fun. Plus as a 13 year old, I remember being "smoked" on my Honda 90 by the kids with rotary valve Yamaha 80s. Two strokes are motor sports gold!

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    mike from st pe likes this.
  9. jconn465

jconn465

Smokers are extremely fast and scary and take skill to ride. Is why they are not still popular. Oh and there is the whole emissions thing. And best answer they were FUN.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. RSCamaro

RSCamaro

The methods on fuel delivery are different, an older motorcycle engine uses reed valves for fuel delivery. The detroit diesel has (I think, its been 30 years since I worked on one) windows in the cylinder wall for air entry, injectors for fuel, and mechanically driven exhaust valves, and crazy amount of Compression to make the fuel detonate. It works more like a conventional engine than a small 2 stroke does.

...Ron

briarpatch likes this.
  11. screwman

screwman

12. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

Two stroke supercharged diesels were used in railroad prime movers for decades. Those are definitely not splash lubed like small engines.

mike from st pe likes this.
  13. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

Agreed. I think it's the same magic that makes Starburst candy so juicy.

pgg00 likes this.
  14. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

Are the laws inforced banning the older engines on the waterways you are indicating, and what are the fines? I think California is the only state that I know of restricting the use of older engines. I think the majority of the engines I see in Illinois and Missouri are still the older fishing motors. There would be a revolution if either state tried to pass laws prohibiting them. New stuff will be DI or four stroke. I have been a fishing boater for 60 years. Early engines used (1) quart of oil mixed with (5) gallons of gas. Guys would just use 30W motor oil. I believe the latest two stroke outboards, before DI were mfg’d to run 100/1 oil ratio. People were not using quality oil, and there were engine failures. I run 50/1 with OMC oil.

FullClip likes this.
  15. Micad

Micad

Apparently, you haven't heard of the juicedratic equation. A super secret equation that they keep inside a safe... inside a vault... inside a volcano.

16. railfancwb

railfancwb

Major drawback for two-strokes is they run dirty as far as EPA standards are concerned.

My single cylinder two stroke Vespa has integrated lower end and transmission in a shared crankcase including an oil bath clutch, so all but the top end is splash lubricated.

Increasing power via exhaust tuning may be easier for a two stroke

17. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

:)

18. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

I still have two LAWNBOY two cycle mowers. My Dad bought one new, I bought the other new. Both about 40 years old, 4-1/2 hp. Strong as hell. I run TC rated two cycle oil with Seafoam and quality gas. You can’t pull them down in heavy grass. One has the cast deck and is light. Neighbor sells new mowers and wants to trade me a new mower with all the whistles and bells for my LB’s, but I won’t do it.

Inyo Tim likes this.
  19. screwman

screwman

Wow! My neighbor had one of those when I was a kid. That's the last time I saw one.

LEO/Dad likes this.
  20. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Cool thing about most 2 strokes is they can run backwards.

railfancwb, pgg00, treg and 1 other person like this.