close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Another poor parenting discussion....with examples

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by .264 magnum, Aug 19, 2012.

1. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

1. Several weeks ago we were at The Hotel del Coronado. While eating at the indoor and outdoor restaurant a family of four sat next to us. Within seconds the two little boys - call them 7 and 10yo - were running around and yelling. They sat down for a bit ordered their food and then the older boy called the younger boy a "fool" and the little boy began shrieking as if someone had laid a hot branding iron across his chest. The parents simply tuned it all out. My wife, kids and I decided to grab our food and commander another table down the way. The offending dad looked at me and said, "what can't stand for two little boys to have a little fun?". I was a nanteenth of second from unleashing a spluttering of f-bombs and such but a an older lady a table over jumped in an told the dad and mom they were embarrassments and they'd be lucky if both kids didn't end up in jail! etc. Just then the mgr. showed up and kicked the loud family out with zero hesitation. We got a 1/2 priced meal out of it.

2. Last night at a trendy restaurant in The Bishop Arts District in south Dallas we were enjoying a meal with a table of eight. One of the kids across the table said she saw a "weird light" that sort-of hurt her eyes. I'm thinking WTF there's no welding going on. A couple seconds later I felt/saw laser light flash across my eyes and almost immediately saw the twerp with the laser. I got up walked over to the table and told the kid to put the laser on the table - he was maybe 16. He said I don't know what you are talking about at the same time his mom (?) said who are you please get away from our table at the same time the dad (?) said what are you talking about? I told the kid to put the laser on the table or I was going to call the cops as I pulled out my cell. He put the laser on the table - mom said, "oh that - that's just a toy". I said that's not a toy that's a tool that can hurt people. I was simply going to break the laser and throw it in the trash while the kid watched. Again a manager to the rescue - the manager shows up asking me to sit down and that he will bring me a fresh drink. I sat down to eat/wait for my free cocktail etc. At first my wife was upset with me but when she found out that the twerp kid had lazed our table she was pissed too.
    About 20 minutes later a DPD officer showed up and after asking me to hang around for a few minutes took the kid with family in tow outside. Several minutes later he told me it was a busy night and this was a low level issue but would I fill out a statement Monday/Tuesday - I said yes. I don't know what happened to the kid after that. Our waiter said they were pretty sure that kid had lazed customers a few times in the past. They were going to try to prove that up with credit card time stamps vs. time and dates of complaints.

How in the heck did the parents not know something was going on? I'm convinced the mom was 90% clueless and the dad 100%.

2. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

3. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Fish almost always on Coronado

Bone in ribeye last night

4. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

1) Was an annoyance that could happen anywhere. You moved, and got half price. Win-Win

2) Hurt my kid? I break your face. You held it together. Good for you.

5. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

That's about right.

1. Was an annoyance that really didn't last very long. But those kids were way out of line due to parental failure.

2. I was very close to, most likely, breaking the law myself. I think if the kid had been an adult I would have pounded him right there. But he was clearly nowhere close to of age.
    The dad of the girl who got lazed was in the bathroom. If he'd been there it would have gone south for sure. He's an oilman/rancher who is tough as hell with a mean streak. He would have pounded the kid if not for time diffusing the situation a bit.

6. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

.264 - Thinking about your experience and the other "kids" thread, overlaid onto my personal experience and I am convinced that the problems most people have with kids are, in reality, problems with their parents.

My kids are generally well-behaved. Now, most parents will say that, right? However, there are times that my kids are crazed little monkeys due to sleep schedule or just generally being kids who lack a bit of impulse control.

As as result, we start by not taking them to places they don't belong. Secondly, if one or both of them can't behave, my wife or I will take the child(ren) outside while the other finishes dinner, then tag out. Kids will be kids but no one is obligated to endure my kids' bad behavior.

I know couples who refuse to let young kids change the things they enjoy doing. As a result, they bring kids into situations and places that kids have no business being, then get surprised when they act badly.

Having kids is a compromise. If you want all the great things that come along with having them you need to be prepared to sacrifice some of the pleasures you had as a childless couple. If you're baby is crying its lungs out in a restaurant, it isn't the baby's fault. However, you need to excuse yourself with the baby and exit. Its just part of it.

JMO

7. Andy W

Andy W

So he was 16 and lasing people in a restaurant. I'm not sure what's worse, the fact that he was shining a laser pointer in people's eyes or that his parents still let him carry around "toys" in public.

8. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

It's a push if you ask me. And I really believe the dad was totally in the dark and the mom was clueless about the seriousness of lasing people.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  9. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

I'm with you on that. I love little kids. They crack me up and I want them to have fun. But as you noted there is a big difference between a couple kids horsing around a bit and kids causing disruption enabled by failed parents.

When our son was maybe 10/12mos old we took him to a Red Lobster and he went nuts - must have been environmental - screaming and yelling. After maybe 30/45 seconds of this not getting any better and all the mommy and daddy tricks not working I took him outside - swinging him around in his carrier and he calmed down. I took him back in same thing maybe worse. We apologized to the waiter and left. We didn't sit there waiting for kiddo to cry himself to sleep etc.

10. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

Wow, that used to be what we called the barrio when I was a kid. Guess things have changed in Oak Cliff?

Greg

11. Gallium

Gallium CLM

The worst my kids ever did in public was...

1. Kiddo a few years back had a really bad gag reflex. He was eating in a restaurant, and threw up dinner, lunch, breakfast and possibly everything he ever ate that week.

He didn't just throw up, he lauched those slimy bits in a fusillade of stringy projectiles, scoring hits on 3-4 other patrons, and completely ruining that dining experience for almost 20 people (one lady went to the bathroom, my son's barf on her clothes, her mouth filled with her own barf).

A few years later other kiddo. We are flying - I am working the family is tagging along on vacation. They are in 1st, I am in coach. The missus is asleep. I get up to check on the youngest, he is squirming, and I know that look. Suddenly the purser swoops down on me, shoos me out of 1st, and shush-shushes me when I attempt to tell him my kid might need to go to the bathroom. I go back to my seat - the 1st row in coach, three rows behind them.

Ok. I go back to my seat. In less than five minutes I am imagining that I smell poop. My imagination works overtime and overdrive for the remaining 2hrs of the flight. My wife wakes up, and tells me the eldest is again farting like crazy across the aisle from her and she is so embarrassed! I smile ruefully, and nod.

On arrival I go to pick up my son and there is poopload of crap in his pants, and a few suspect stains on the leather seat, and the entire 1st class cabin smells like stale feces. I went to another of the FAs and told her my kid made a mess in 3B, but that I had attempted to take him to the restroom, but "that guy" shooed me out of 1st.

Being the resourceful person that I am I grab one of the blankets from 1st and wrap my kid in it, and walk off the plane. (I did also tell the airline staff at the airport, and I called the airline as well, told them, and apologized).

12. bmoore

bmoore

I love the Sheerwater at the hotel del. Lobster bisque in the winter while watching the poor saps in BUDs training. God bless those guys.

13. bmoore

bmoore

I agree with you, kids will be kids. It sucks when kids are strait out of control and the parents do nothing. I have no problem with kids being kids, but there is a difference. It takes a lot for a kid to make me irritated.

14. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

In some states it is against the law to purposely shine a laser into the eyes of another person.

Call a cop. find out.

In a thread, a while ago. some found no purpose to teaching their kids manners. This is one example.

15. hpracing007

hpracing007

People today have no sense of respect for others.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
    [​IMG]
    If you're ****** kid is trying to hurt people's eyesight and THAT person is the one who's face you want to break, you're part of the freakin problem.

16. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

I was with you until you said that. It would piss me off if my kid was shining a laser in peoples eyes. But I would expect those people to come take it up with me. If someone comes over and smashes my kids laser or whatever, we're going to have a serious problem.

17. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

I know one way to make sure the parents in situation #2 never fail to pay attention to their kid using a laser in a restaurant again. Take the dad's name, inform him that your child's eyes hurt after being lazed, that you will be taking her to a doctor in the morning at the dad's expense and if she's still seeing spots he will be hearing from your attorney.

I'm not a big fan of litigation, but sometimes the threat of real monetary damage can do wonders for somebody's parenting skills!

18. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Oh, let's see...

There was The Amazing Carlos... Carlos can do amazing things like scream really loud, and run full speed into walls, and tip over chairs! He can paint with ice cream and pudding on the table! And he never, ever, shuts-the-frack-up! And all the while, his parents and grandparents sit there, eating entire trays of shellfish and lemons, almost oblivious to the little creep's obnoxious and never-ending antics...

There was the soccer ball...

There was the RC Car...

There was the kid walking down the aisle between tables, swinging a yo-yo like a helicopter rotor, just missing patron's heads...

There was the mindless ass that set up a make-shift xylophone out of plates, cups, saucers, glasses, and flatware, and encouraged Little Herman to bang away on it for the better part of an hour...

There was the boy pumping soft-serve directly into his mouth from the machine, while his sister entertained us with a 23-Skidoo dance...

There was the spacey, but very hot, blonde chick, that took her little girl from table-to-table for formal introductions all around...

There was the cop's son, who took a fork and ate the shrimp out of a stir-fry dish, right at the buffet, while spitting the noodles back into the dish...

There was the little girl who insisted on laying her hand on the side of her dad's face at all times, even though her mother nearly beat her to death at the table...

There was the James Earl Jones Guy, that bellowed instructions at his many children from the back of the restaurant, as they served him like a Third World Potentate...

There were the loud and obnoxious video game-toys...

I think what fried my ass most was the grandmas at other tables, forcing politically correct smiles at these little creeps, when they would have slapped their own kids silly for behaving like animals in a restaurant! :fred:

Judy and I have not gone to a family style restaurant in over five years... Two of them have permanently closed—including an Old Country Buffet—and you wonder why? :dunno: :upeyes: :burn:

--Ray

19. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Roger that. Bishop Arts is now one of the coolest parts of town. Not that long ago it was more or less a war zone.

20. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

your mistake is believing they care enough about what the kids do notice anything