Another Police involved shooting

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Tomcat1977, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 "Cynical Little me"

We had two guys investigate a stolen automobile when one of the offenders put the car in gear, aimed it at one of the cops, and hit him with it. Then dragging him along with the car when his partner shot both "out of towners" in the car. The offenders and the officer will survive, never sure about the one who shot tho but he hasn't been fired and charged yet.

So thats 7 OIS's of of a total of 1383 for the year which makes OIS'ings 0.5 % of total shootings. Thats one out of every 200. I wonder who's doing the other 199?

glock1097, PhotoFeller and 1L26 like this.
  2. nitesit(+ an e)

nitesit(+ an e) House Sitter and Cook

I hope the officer who is injured will not just survive but be left with no long-term damage.

n2g, fla2760, billy_56081 and 4 others like this.

3. Ajon412

Ajon412

Ooh, Ooh....Is that one of those rhetorical questions?;)

4. Sgt127

Sgt127

In this era, I’m amazed there are still proactive cops.

In Dallas, getting caught in a stolen car is a $500 bond.

And, a DA who likely won’t even prosecute.

5. RocPO

RocPO

At least they have to post bond by you.

They just get a DisApperance Ticket. (DAT) and they're RORd before we're done with the paperwork

Sgt127 likes this.
  6. HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

I wonder if they have friends in the DA's office who wont pursue charges?

7. glock1097

glock1097

Hopefully both officers survive unscathed. It’s very disconcerting that every officer using force now could be terminated, prosecuted, charged with Civil Rights violation and family harmed.

8. Tomcat1977

Unreal. $50,000 bonds, which means $5,000 cause they only have to post 10% for agg batt to PO, a gun and drugs were found in the car, actually drugs on the offenders. Its was one guys 2nd UUW. Two gangsters riding dirty and it will only take $5,000 to get each out.

Ohio Cop and glock1097 like this.
  9. HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

From a cops perspective, is there a reason the guy in ATL was not just sent home.

His car was parked (in the wrong spot). He was not driving (even though he was drunk).

Why not just send him home, maybe tow his car, and move on to something else?

10. SargeMO

SargeMO

Because people who pass out in drive-thrus are serious drunks. They are probably also not first-time offenders. You want people like that out running over your wife and kids? This Jack weed fought the Cops, took an incapacitating weapon from them and turned it on them. Are we all dumb enough to think he wouldn't have taken their pistols and killed them? Of course none of this would matter if the guy they shot was white. But the people who scream loudest about racism are now burning cities over skin color.

Sgt127, tuica, Lt. Donn and 2 others like this.
  11. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

What do you mean he wasn’t driving? Did he teleport there? He drove there in that condition.

fg17, slym2none and AGF0526 like this.
  12. BL33D 4 M3

BL33D 4 M3

First officer observed him operating the vehicle (physical control) on private property. In IL that is still DUI but the implied consent does not apply since its not a roadway. What that means is if he refuses chemical testing he won't lose his license automatically. Years ago he very likely would have been allowed to secure the car and get a lift. Advocate groups like MADD have pressured law makers, judges, prosecutors and police to apply stricter standards and tougher penalties and enhancements to DUI enforcement.

HarlemKnight likes this.
  13. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    I blame the system; this guy was out of prison on parole ( he was doing 7 years for child abuse) ; if he had been in jail, where he belonged, he would be safe in cell right now. Instead, the system failed him, and he followed his natural instinct to be a scumbag and he got himself killed.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    sarge40, Sgt127, fg17 and 7 others like this.
  14. GPalmer

GPalmer CLM

I am not a cop but I would think there would be severe liability if he got a ride home and followed it up by returning to his vehicle and drove drunk into an accident. He has already proven that he has no qualms about driving in his condition.

Take a look at this thread if you want to see how ridiculous liability can be https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/f...at-child-dies-in-crash-a-month-later.1835354/

15. Tomcat1977

Because he was in physical control of the vehicle. AKA DUI.

"Just send him home" and your violating your own Dept. general orders and risk suspension/firing. Especially if he gets back in the car, which he will. So why would you risk your job for some drunk like that? Especially since everything is on video with all those witness's.

Sure you can say "its better then getting disarmed and shooting him" but even still you dont expect that to happen. You dont have a crystal ball. And you cant blow off the job either, again to many witness's. They beef if you dont take action ; They beef is you do take action.

Ive had 'em at .18 or more, prints cleared, I-bonded out, and the car gone later in the night. I'd check the records and the tow truck never made it there so the drunk, still drunk, walked back to their car and drove home. Very common with this idiotic system.

billy_56081 and AGF0526 like this.
  16. HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Of course he drove there, and was drinking.
    But they did not catch him drinking or driving. They pulled up on him and he had been sleeping for at least an hour.

They could have just sent him home and kept it moving. That's what I would have done - after analyzing the situation.

17. clancy

clancy Oh, for a muse of fire

I have a friend who is the night manager at the local McDonald's. She told me that having someone pass out in the drive up lane pass out is an almost nightly occurrence, as well as having people drive up so strung out on heroin they can't talk, let alone drive. It has reached the point where one of the 3 local police agencies, town, county or state, tries to have a car either camping out in the parking lot of nearby as often as possible.

SargeMO likes this.
  18. HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Tow the car, and send him walking.

If that was dept general orders ... what would be wrong with that?

19. slym2none

slym2none

You'd send an inebriated person to walk home? What about when they stumble out into oncoming traffic? Either the drunk gets hit and hurt, possibly dead, or the motorists might get into an accident to avoid him.

You need to think further ahead.

20. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

What's your legal theory that allows you to seize a guy's car in these circumstances? What's your political theory that preps you for dealing with MADD and NHTSA when word gets around that you're not arresting drunk drivers?

You're close to arguing the same line of thinking that got Nicole and Ron Goldman's heads cut off. And like it or not, DV and DUI are crimes that no longer get a pass in this society.

Lt. Donn likes this.