close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

another older bike sighting

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by norton, Jul 18, 2006.

1. norton

norton

Driving through Elkhart In. today- I saw one of these parked in front of a small office building.
    It was a bike that I always wanted but never got around to owning. I had a 1978 GS 1000, but it was the plain jane model with spoke wheels.
    BTW, it had the most comfortable motorcycle seat for long trips I ever owned.

Here's an internet photo of the same kind of bike I saw today.

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

One of the dudes that I ride with bought a GS450 of about the same vintage so that he can fix it up for his girlfriend.

3. OJ

OJ Deceased Millennium Member

1977 R100S BMW

[​IMG]

I get at least one ride per week (must be over 100 miles to qualify) on this 29 year old bike. It will do anything I want (and get me into more trouble than I want).

Matter of fact, I was stopped last week to be informed I had qualified for a "performance award" en route to Cripple Creek. I explained I didn't want to hold up traffic - I think the deputy thought I was making up an excuse. It was true! That section of highway has a lot of fast aggressive traffic and I've been passed there by such traffic that doesn't even get in the passing lane, cuts in too soon, and ignores double yellow lines. Therefore, when traffic comes up behind me, I turn up the wick, stay ahead, and when we get to "Gillette flats" where passing is safe, I wave them by. To me, that is just defensive riding. :upeyes:

This SUV didn't pass and then I saw tiny red/blue lights on top - then they lit up - oh oh. He went back to check me out after getting my license, insurance proof, and registration (wasn't interested in my CCW permit) and came back cracking up laughing. He said he expected to be stopping some young punk speeder but didn't expect an 80 year old man! We found common ground as Masons, had a good visit, and I promised to travel more sedately. We parted good friends. :)

I get senior discounts here and there but didn't expect being 80 would be much benefit otherwise - ;)

An 80 year old man on a 29 year old bike - life is good.

:laughabove: :laughabove:

4. PBCounty

PBCounty

That Suzuki...is that more or less what a crotch rocket was in 1977?

5. norton

norton

Yes, it was considered to be the best all around UJM-Universal Japanese Motorcycle-of its time.

The thing I remember about my 78 GS1000, was how stiff the throttle return springs were. It made your wrist ache to hold the slides open after an extended period of time.

Those bikes would get smoked by any top of the line 600cc bike today-

Everything about bikes has improved since 1979. You would laugh at the spindly fork tubes on this scooter, and how narrow the rear tire is.

But in the day-

6. BuckeyePPC

BuckeyePPC

Here's mine. My brother is restoring it for me. A 1973 Norton Commando 850 Roadster. Bought it in 1985 for $1000. It was the stable mate of my 1974 Norton Commando 850 Interstate which I made the mistake of selling. At least I kept one of them. Wish I had both.

I love the late 70s Suzukis. I had a 1978 GS550. Loved the looks, especially of the GS1000. Wish they still made those styles.

7. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Yup.

one nice thing is that with that GS, the sky is the limit on mods. That is the 350 Chevy of the bike world. Heck over half the field of NHRA Pro Stock bikes have engines based on the big boy GS (oky they are HEAVILY modified, but there is still a link to a streetbike, unlike the Harley and S&S).

8. norton

norton

That's a good looking scooter. Funny thing is, I bought my 73 Commando in 1985, and I paid $950 for it. I still have it, although over the years I have ridden it very little. The bike I sold that I wish I still had was a 1967 BSA Lighting. I always owned several bikes, and I generally rode whatever was the lastest and greatest thing I had.
    I did attend the 1990 Norton Rally in Wisconsin. Took my wife and son with me-he was about 8 years old then. We trailered a camper, and I put my commando in the back of the truck. We had a good time. I saw lots of Nortons.

9. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Here's my 1981 KZ 550, I alway's take the opportunity to show her off. Just passed 8k. She is now officially a classic.

[​IMG]