close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Another night of not sleeping

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by pal2511, Jan 5, 2010.

1. pal2511

pal2511

I am sitting here on the computer again at 0515 AM because I cant sleep once again. I got off work early tonight because I had an appointment with someone tommorrow that I will have to break now. I have the most messed up work schedule ever...

11 pm to 07 am sat and sun
    7 pm to 3 am mon
    3 pm 11 pm tue
    3 to 11 pm wed

I have another 4 months or so of this and I need to know how to learn to get to sleep...if I have to take Lunesta or Ambien I will

usually I just take a Tylenol PM but they are not working as well and I am groggy as hell in the morning

2. xdmikey

xdmikey

my buddy is a truck driver who works nights.
    his schedule isn't rotating like yours but here's what he does.
    punch in around 7pm and usually gets home between 6-7am. read the paper then head to bed around 10am.
    he is off sat/sun so on friday morning he stays up all day and into the evening as long as he can(he has a high school age son)then has a full clear day on saturday and takes it easy on Sunday.
    ymmv

3. pal2511

pal2511

I usually stay up 2 to 3 hours after my shift but then I gotta get to bed sleep for 8 hours and go straight back to work. 2 of my days I have a 12 hour turn around ....Sucks!

4. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

I refuse to work any schedule that doesn't let me wake up at the same time every day of the week.

5. pal2511

pal2511

longgonedays

Then I wouldn't have a job and I dont plan on getting this schedule for another 2 or 3 years haha...

6. pac201

pac201

had that many years ago, I could never adjust to it...try a dose of nyquil as an alternative to the tylenol. I have found that if I change things up occasionally it helps...

Can't take Ambien...

7. NanH

NanH

I have a wildly erratic schedule and the end result is I never sleep. :faint:

Ambien works well for me, but I don't want to take it all the time.

Nan-who went to bed at 11 and was awake before 4. Ugh!!

8. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

What is the compelling reason for screwing with someone's schedule like that?

I know a lot of police officers who don't have a set, rotating, sleep-cycle-crushing schedule. Thet usually work for a period time (months) in one shift 5 days a week with the exception of court dates and other administrative tasks a friend of mine on graveyards may never be awake during the day.

It seems like the schedule is intentionally jacked up unless there's a reason to have you work some days and some nights. It just seems like poor time management on the part of the management team who's doing the schedule creation.

9. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 Homunculus

My "schedule" is crazy too. Honestly I have none, I live by the phone ready to go at any time, ahhhh the life of a railroader. More or less it's like living constantly tired.

10. crump582

crump582 Rookie

That's the ONE and ONLY reason I decided to stick with Probation and Parole... My schedule is 7am to 5:30 Tues - Thursday and 7am to 5:00 on Fridays. 4 day week and 3 day weekend. It's a little less money than the PD here, but I just can't handle that schedule.

Good luck to you... I've had friends and family tangle with the same problems.

11. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

.5mg of Xanax and 20mg of Sonata make me sleep well.

12. djl240

djl240

Pal2511, don't go with the script sleep aids- and drop the Tylenol pm. Get yourself some Valerian root. It can be found at any health store and even Wally world. About $4 for months supply. I had the same problem for years- working crazy shifts and hours and I could never sleep right. I had a pretty bad sleeping disorder. Nothing perscribed or OTC really helped. Valeria. Root helps immensly.. I've NEVER slept so good. Ever. It's 100% natural and it's effect don't fade over time. It's odd because it takes a good 2-4 weeks of taking it before bed every night until it's effects are noticed. And you wake up refreshed, not groggy like the OTC crap makes you feel. Try it.. Seriously. There's no cons to this stuff- it really works. Oh I guess it does smell like dirty socks when you open the bottle :) Happy sleeping!!

13. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

If I can't wind down after working out, .50 Xanax will knock me out too...I don't even need Sonata/Lunesta/Ambien on top of it.

14. SnowCajun

SnowCajun Old, no cure!

I can't take Ambien at all, talk about crazy dreams, and they seemed so real, I'll never take again in my life. Rotating schedules are hard on people, it's been proven that it's stressful on your body, I'm surprised it's common anymore that places are still forcing that on employees. I consider it unsafe, you get tired and sleepy workers in who aren't at the top of their work performance because of sleep issues such as you're experiencing because they can't get normal rest from a regular schedule.

I don't know what you do, and in this day and time you're lucky to have a job I know, but a schedule like that seems a little unreasonable, why do they do that?

15. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

Just an idea, but have you tried any foods with L-Triptophan? For example, warm milk before bedtime?

16. freespirit34

freespirit34 BMFTSY

My advice to you is to drink heavily. Just kidding. Believe it or not, over the counter Dimetap (sp) puts me to sleep quite nicely.

17. NanH

NanH

Sadly, I am my boss and while I would love to make my schedule more normal, it would really be hard. I travel for my work and generally work around 30 weeks a year. I mainly nights, around midnight to noon, sometimes more, sometimes less, then it will be 14 hours one day, two the next, then ten the day after that. The only way to even it out is to work less, but the harder I work, the more money I make and I am going to make every dime I can.

The other 20-ish weeks, I am home and not working, at least not at a job. I can sometimes get caught up, but often I work one week, then am off a week. I am on my husband's shedule then, which is M-F, 8-5.

I kept hoping that at some point my body would figure out that when it gets to hit the bed, it should sleep because heaven knows when it will happen again. It seems to have gone the opposite and I can't remember the last time I slept eight hours.

18. tone

tone

Valerian Root is good. So is melotonin (think that's how it's spelled). Works very well and is all natural. Good luck!

19. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Eggs have a vastly higher concentration of L-Tryptophan than milk but, it's not really important since foods high in Tryptophan have not been shown to chemically induce drowsiness in the quantities one could reasonably consume.

If, however, you buy Trp pills they can increase seratonin and melatonin levels which may make you drowsy or more relaxed. However, if you were going to do that you might as well buy melatonin.

It's a bit of an "old wive's tale" apparently.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  20. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Beat up the person who made your schedule until you can't move anymore. That should make you sleepy.