Another New G36 First Range Report

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Soba, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Soba

Soba

After reading way too many posts on the pro's and con's of the G36 (vs. 30/30sf/all others) I used my GSSF certificate to pick up a new G36 with Trijicon sites. Also picked up a few extra magazines and extensions to try out. Here is my report of the first trip to the range.

New G36 with test fire date of 12/17/2009

Three magazines were used for test (shown below in the picture/opposite order):
    M1: new 6-round as came with original G36
    M2: new 6-round with Pearce +0
    M3: new 7-round (Pearce +1 with +10% springs)

[​IMG]

Three types of ammunition were used for test:
    WWB: Winchester White Box, 230 grain FMJ.
    UMC: Remington UMC, 230 grain FMJ
    GD: Speer Gold Dot, 230 grain HP

Purpose of test was to determine felt recoil and test for issues feeding three types of ammunition. Accuracy was secondary.

The Test

> Fired 10 rounds from G19 to set base for recoil comparison

1: WWB. Shot each magazine order M1, M2, M3 (repeated 3 times). 57 total rounds fired.

Observations:
    - No Failures (Feed, Eject, Fire, other)
    - Recoil lighter than expected and very manageable
    - Accuracy very good at 7 yards

2: UMC. Shot each magazine order M1, M2, M3 (repeated 2 times) followed by one time each with M1 and M2. 50 total rounds fired.

Observations:
    - No Failures to Feed, Eject, Fire. Slide failed to stay open after last round on M2 second pass.
    - Recoil very manageable though started to feel some sensation in the web of my hand (not painful, but different)
    - Accuracy very good at 7 yards and 10 yards

3: GD. Shot each magazine order M1, M2, M3 (repeated 2 times) followed by one time each with M1 and M2. 50 total rounds fired.

Observations
    - No Failures to Feed, Eject, Fire. Slide failed to stay open after last round on second and third M1 pass, after last round on first and second M2 pass, and after last round on M3 second pass.
    - Recoil very manageable
    - Accuracy very good at 7 yards and 10 yards

4: Went back to the Winchester White Box, 230 grain FMJ. Shot M1 and M2 one time each. 12 total rounds fired.

Observations
    - No Failures to Feed, Eject, Fire. Slide failed to stay open after last round on M1.
    - Recoil very manageable
    - Accuracy very good at 10 yards

> Closed test with 30 rounds of 9mm from G19. Slide failed to stay open after last round one of the two magazines (never happened before with thousands of rounds previously fired).

Final Observations:
    - I was very impressed with the G36. It seemed very accurate at the short ranges tested (7 and 10 yards) and recoil was very manageable (much better than expected).
    - I honestly didn’t notice any difference in hold with the standard magazine versus the Pearce +0 and +1. No pinching experienced with any of them and the feel seemed about the same.
    - Transitioning to/from the G36 and G19 was smooth, despite the different grip sizes.
    - I recently changed my grip after a training session with a long-time police officer. I suspect that this may be a factor in the slide not staying open after the last round. It started halfway through the tests with the G36 as I started to concentrate more on aim and control and once with the G19, something that has never happened before after thousands of rounds.
    - Shooting the G19 after 150+ rounds of .45 was interesting. Recoil felt minimal, reminding me of shooting .22 long rifle.
    - The G36 seems to fit quite nicely in the G19 Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster.
    - Having 6 or 7 rounds in the magazine, it does empty pretty fast (am used to the 15 round G19 mags). I know that some will state I should have gone with the G30 but I didn’t like the feel and I know I made the right choice for me going with the G36.

Next Steps:
    - Returning to the range for more tests with other longer distances and other ammo as well
    - Determining the best carry ammunition for me
    - Working out the change in grip to see if that is the problem with the slide

So, there it is. If anyone has any thoughts, I would love to hear them.

Attached Files:

2. OLEDAVE

OLEDAVE What you said?

Thanks for the report. Keep us updated. I've had mine a little over a month now and I love it. I have had zero issues.

3. den888

den888

Thanks for the comprehensive report, congrats on the G36 !

4. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

Congrats interesting report

5. Captainns10

Captainns10

Congrats :wavey:

I have a g30, I love it but it can be difficult to conceal on occasion.

Now I'm torn between getting a g36 or a 26 when the weather gets warmer and im dressing lighter, to address the concealability issue... or maybe im just looking for an excuse to get another glock :supergrin:

6. TH237

TH237

I have had my 36 for about two months and likewise love it. Congrats on your 36.

7. KujoGlock19

KujoGlock19

I am very interested in what you determine to be the problem with the slide failure to stay open... If it was just your 36, or better yet just a single mag of your 36, it might be easy to point the finger at the mag. Seeing as it happened with you 19 on the same day also presents a completely different problem.

I have 4 Glocks with countless rounds through them and while I have had the occasional failure to feed, I have never had a failure to lock open on the last round.

Please keep us up to date!

8. Soba

Soba

Will do. I went through the list of typical problems listed in "The Complete Glock" (Ptooma) and the "improper hand position" is the one that makes the most sense. Prior to the recent training, I hadn't had any issues with slides and if it didn't happen with the G19 as well, I may have blamed the G36. Next range trip I am going to pay more attention and try again with the G36, G19, and a friend's G22. Thanks!

9. robertwh

robertwh

Congratulations!

I have had the 36 for over 2 years. As of today I have shot between 2850 -2950 round through it. I don't have all the brass and I may have counted a few of the rounds I shot through my 21 by mistake but this is very close to what I have actually shot.

I had two stove pipes using re-manufactured ammo and even that is out of approximately 450 rounds.

Other than the fact than I can't seem to shoot wadcutters through my Glocks I have never had any reliability issues with my 36. In fact it is my MOST RELIABLE GLOCK by a hair or two. (Haven't shot my 23 enough to compare it to the 36 yet)

I love my 36 and it is still my favorite automatic pistol for CCW. I love my other 4 Glocks but the 36 edges them out.

I notice the recoil but it doesn't bother me and I have shot groups with it that are as good and sometimes better than my 19. I do notice more fatigue in my shooting hand after 250 rounds or so but it isn't so bad I want to stop shooting.

I have a friend who sold his 36 because he has arthritis and it beat him up too bad after a box of 50 or so. I will never say the 36 is for everybody but I will say that it is definetly for me! :wavey:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  10. dreis454

dreis454

I just bought a 36 a couple weeks ago....test fired on 10-02-09
    I have not fired it yet but i expect no issues.

11. SagKC

SagKC

Great, comprehensive test, and congrats on the new G36!

Very pleased with the accuracy and overall results from my G36 as well, and appreciate the time you took to summarize your G36 outing.

12. captcurly

captcurly

Great report,enjoyed reading it. I have been carrying and shooting my G 36 for eight years and love it. :cheers:

13. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Congrats I like my 36.

14. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

There is a lot to be learned from your systematic approach to trying out a new pistol. I suspect that if everyone did this, there would be many fewer reports of problems. Nice job.

15. Iceman cHucK

Iceman cHucK

If I had to guess the problem it would be your thumb is riding the slide stop.

16. dal205

dal205

Thanks for the detailed report! I really like my G36. Only problem is coming up with the funds to feed it!

17. TonyT

TonyT

I carried my G-36 for several years before opting for more discreet pocket carry with a Kahr PM-9. I still have the G-36 either at my bedisde or in the car. My G-36 has been totally reliable and very accurate considering it's short barrel length.

18. G36_Me

G36_Me

since you are having problems locking the slide back with multiple mags, lets assume for now, the mags are not the issue.

The Slide Stop Lever (SSL) pushes up into the notch on the slide after the last round is fired. This is caused by the magazine engaging with the SSL, pushing it up.

Is there more data for us?
    1. did you detail strip the gun and not put it back together right (no offense, but have to ask)(maybe the SSL spring is not under the pin)
    2. from the pic I cannot tell: Is that the factory supplied SSL?
    3. Did you change the recoil spring? or is that factory supplied?

This is worth resolving and will be fun to figure out. (before we blame Glock or call them)

19. BleedNOrange

BleedNOrange Go Vols

+1....seen it happen many times...done it myself a few times too.

20. mr smithglock

mr smithglock