close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Another MTAC vs CBST thread - specifically about v-clips

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by jjcool, Apr 8, 2010.

1. jjcool

jjcool

so I've been reading threads from several sites about these two holsters for some time and like many people have said it's a very tough decision. I'm sure I'll be happy with either one (and will probably end up with both one day anyways), but I do have a few more questions I was hoping some people could help with before I get my first one. If it helps I'll initially be carrying a G34 and then when funds allow switching to a P2000sk. At least those are the plans right now.

I've decided that I'd like to try the v-clips (velcro). I know that everyone says that people don't notice the standard clips, but I still don't want to take a chance. Particularly since I'll be carrying around a lot of other people that carry and I haven't told anyone that I have my permit. I don't want to give anything away. (try to overlook the discussion that could stem from this statement and just stay focused on the v-clips):)

My questions are as follows:
    1. Is one brand of vclips better than another (MTAC versus Crossbreed). I've heard people say the velcro can come off the Crossbreed clips because the adhesive is poor. While I know they have a lifetime warranty, I don't want to have to mess with that.
    2. Does the velcro keep the holster plenty secure? People talk about how secure the CBST is because of the big steel clips. I'm curious to hear from people that use them if the velcro ones keep the holster as secure. This is assuming you're using a nice velcro lined gun belt of course.

Any other advice on these two holsters would be appreciated as well. As I mentioned I've read about everything there is about the holsters, but am just having trouble finding info on the velcro clips specifically. Thanks for your help.:wavey:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  2. evomx5

evomx5 GLOCK Goob

I have an MTAC and have used the V-clips. They held the holster in place very well. They were invisible if you get your belt situated just a tad above the clip. The only thing I didn't like about them is the extra thickness of the velcro on belt and clip makes the bulge show a little more...makes your pants a little tighter, too. I wear mine at 3 o'clock and the bulge is more noticeable. If you're going to be tucking your shirt in, leave it bloused out a little where the gun is and that helps hide the bulge.

3. jjcool

jjcool

Thanks for your comments. I don't suppose you have any pictures of how the clips make your belt bulge out do you? I'd be really interested on seeing how noticeable it is.

4. evomx5

evomx5 GLOCK Goob

Sorry I don't have any pics. I use the C-clips now and took the velcro off of my belt or I would set it up and take a pic.

5. jjcool

jjcool

so it was bad enough to make you stop using them and switch to the C clips? Also it sounds like you removed the velcro from your belt. I'm thinking of ordering a belt with it sewn in. Do you feel like it'll make the belt too thick and that's a mistake?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  6. jjcool

jjcool

so no one has had an experience where the adhesive failed to hold the velcro on the clips?

7. evomx5

evomx5 GLOCK Goob

When I got the V-clips from CompTac, they came with some sticky backed velcro to put on your belt. I use a leather Aker belt and every time I threaded the belt through my belt loops, the leading edge of the velcro strip wanted to roll back off the belt. If you get a belt that has the velcro sewn in, it may be a little thinner and you won't have to worry about it rolling back. To untrained eyes, nobody would probably ever know you were carrying with the V-clips but since you are around other people that carry, they may notice. If you're going to carry IWB, there's gonna be a bulge no matter what holster you use. Like I say, if you blouse your shirt a little around the gun, that takes away from what the eye picks up as a bulge. I'm not knocking the V-clips at all. They just weren't for me. I always wear an untucked polo shirt in warm weather and sweater vests in winter so I use the C-clips. I'm sure you would be happy with the V's...they are invisible and, for you, the bulge might not be too much.

8. DeltaNu1142

DeltaNu1142 Glock talker

Not to thread-jack, but I use the J-clips on my CBST for that reason. They're by no means invisible, but not "as visible" as the C-clips. I really don't know what else they could be confused with, though...

9. jjcool

jjcool

Most things I read about the J-clips say they aren't very secure and are really meant to be used in combination with the standard clips to keep the holster from pulling out when drawing your gun. I'd be concerned that with the weight of the gun it'd pull down my pants since as I understand it all the weight of the holster would be riding on your pants and not your belt at that point.:dunno:

10. DeltaNu1142

DeltaNu1142 Glock talker

This is true--but I haven't had much of a problem with it. I would be interested in trying the V-clips but need to choose a belt first.

11. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

I have the old style V-Clips that have the Velcro stapled on them.

The main reason I went with the V-Clips was that I like to carry at 3 o'clock and with the regular clips my M-TAC would migrate back to 4:00 - 4:30 during the course of the day. The V-Clips solved that problem. I don't carry with my shirt tucked over the weapon very often but when I do the V-Clips are an improvement of the standard ones.

In all honesty though, I use my Blade-Tech IWB more than I do the M-Tac.

As for the J-Clips, they are very sensitive to the size and thickness of the belt to which they are mated. If they match, they work well, if they don't match, they don't work so well.

Disclaimer: I have no personal experience with anything made by the folks at Crossbreed.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  12. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

My 2 cents is for the MTAC then you just have to spend $38 to get a body when you switch guns.

13. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

I've been using a Supertuck since last December. I started with the standard metal clips. But, I've switched over to the V-clips. When I bought my gun belts, I had the velcro sewn on in anticipation of possibly using the v-clips. I wear a tucked business shirt on work days. I will tell you that the v-clips are for all intents... INVISIBLE. I carry a G27, and the support is just fine. I've had zero problems. But, if I recall, Crossbreed sent me some extra velcro with my order. It's sitting in a drawer for now.

I'm very happy with my CBST holster. Wear it every day.

Stand by... I'll come back and edit with a link to some photos....

OK... here ya go. In this series of photos, I'm wearing a tucked polo-style shirt. As others have said... blouse it out a tad, and you're good to go. http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14638248&postcount=43

Edit #2... Oh crap... those photos are with the standard clips! LOL! I just realized I don't have any photos with the v-clips. So, for my next assignment.... :) I'll get them.

14. ATW525

ATW525

First, I don't have any experience with Crossbreed products.

However, I have an MTAC and after a thread about tuckable holsters on another forum recently, I ordered a set of v-clips. They arrived yesterday, and as was mentioned earlier in the thread, they come with two velcro strips with adhesive backing, which was a pleasant surprise.

I attached the strips to the inside of a 5-stitch wilderness instructor belt and tried the holster on. After carefully tucking in my shirt, my Glock 36 disappeared and I had a hard time making it print under a normal range of motion. The only indication of the gun's presence was the slight bulge in pants/belt-line, which I doubt anybody would notice unless they were really looking for it.

Of course, the choice of gun will make a huge difference with this carry method. I wouldn't even bother trying to carry my Glock 30 like that, for instance, because it'll look like I have a siamese twin growing out of my hip.

Now, as for the question of whether they keep the holster secure, I have to say: ABSOLUTELY! The holster ain't moving with the v-clips properly attached to the belt. The velcro is strong. I believe that if held my belt in one hand and the the holster in the other and yanked them until they came apart, the adhesive strips would probably come off the belt before the velcro separated.

15. jjcool

jjcool

Ha ha. Thanks for the pictures anyway and the comments. I look forward to seeing the updated pigs with the v-clips.

So you haven't had any issues with the velcro trying to pull off of the clips? The adhesive has been holding up ok?

16. jjcool

jjcool

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear its so secure. That's why I've been concerned about the velcro coming off of the clips. Since it holds so well do you ever feel like the adhesive might give before the velcro does? I'm not worried about the vecro on the belt because I plan to order one with it sewn in.

17. deadhawg

deadhawg

I don't have a Crossbreed, so I can't comment on them, but I do have an M-TAC for my P45 and one for my G30, both with the v clips. Both work great, no problem moving around. The only problem I had with my first M-Tac was with the stick-on velcro that came with it to stick to my existing belt. It worked ok for a while, but then the velcro started to peel off the belt. I got a belt from Beltman with the velcro sewn on, problem solved. The velcro on the vclips is stapled and glued on, no problem with it coming off. I'm very happy with them now.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  18. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

So far, so good. Next time I go to work (and tuck my shirt), I'll get some photos.

19. jjcool

jjcool

So I've pretty much decided on the Crossbreed. The vclips look thinner and I want to get one of their belts as well. My only issue at this point is I sent them an email just before starting this thread asking if they're aware of any problems with the velcro pulling off of the clips and what kind of assurance they could offer me that this wouldn't happen. I got an automated response saying it could take up to 48 hours before I hear back from them. Its been well over that and I still haven't gotten a reply. I've heard nothing but good things about their customer service so it doesn't make sense. Do you think he's just blowing me off because its a silly question? Or is he just busy and hasn't gotten around to answering my email? Thoughts?

20. DeltaNu1142

DeltaNu1142 Glock talker

Their customer service is great; you can call them if you need an immediate response. They worked with me on the phone a couple of times after I placed my order to get the configuration right.