Glock Talk banner

Another lesson learned

1004 Views 11 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  SCmasterblaster
The wife and I were travelling home via an interstate in the western US and started to have engine trouble. We debated going on and seeing if we could make it home but our car situation was deteriorating and I knew we had a long stretch in front of us where we wouldn't even have a cell signal to call a tow truck so we turned around and made it back to a town where we were able to get the needed repairs done. Later as we drove over that remote area, it occurred to me that if we had broken down and had no cell signal, I'd either need to flag someone down and ask them to call someone to assist us and hope that they did, or strike out on my own to get help. If I went that route, one of us was going to be in a very vulnerable situation; most likely with me hitch hiking and her in an inoperable car with no cell service for either of us. From now on when we travel, I'll have two firearms (or more) in the car and not one.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
446 Posts
I keep a case of bottled water in the trunk, my permit and ccw on me when I car travel. In most cases, as long as you are sticking to semi-main roads, you are better off staying with your vehicle.

People out here help each other out. For me, I may or may not stop if I go by, but I will definitely call DPS and/or Border Patrol and let them know you are there and "look like" you need help...

Reactions: ruffterrain

· Registered
2,418 Posts
Easier said than done. Some may refuse but you may respond that they would risk the consequences. I'll carry a second firearm anyway.
Non would refuse in my household because they know who to follow to be safe. :D However it never hurts to have more than one gun.

· Registered
33,968 Posts
If you both have licenses then why WOULDN'T you both be armed?

If you don't, in some (most?) states leaving an unsecured loaded firearm in an unlicensed person's reach within a vehicle will be a crime. I guess it would come down to their definition of "loaded" but most I think would include any loaded magazines whether or not they are inserted into the firearm.

· Registered
446 Posts
My wife is a nurse with a healer personality and a gentle soul. I'm not. Our family's safety is my responsibility. Stay or go, for better or worse, we will be together.

· Banned
21,063 Posts
The wife and I were travelling home via an interstate in the western US and started to have engine trouble. We debated going on and seeing if we could make it home but our car situation was deteriorating and I knew we had a long stretch in front of us where we wouldn't even have a cell signal to call a tow truck so we turned around and made it back to a town where we were able to get the needed repairs done. Later as we drove over that remote area, it occurred to me that if we had broken down and had no cell signal, I'd either need to flag someone down and ask them to call someone to assist us and hope that they did, or strike out on my own to get help. If I went that route, one of us was going to be in a very vulnerable situation; most likely with me hitch hiking and her in an inoperable car with no cell service for either of us. From now on when we travel, I'll have two firearms (or more) in the car and not one.
I am glad that you made it out of that situation OK. You'll be better prepared for the next one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.