close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Another Holster Shirt Thread

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Rand McNally, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Rand McNally

Rand McNally

Hi guys,

I know this may have been discussed earlier, but I searched and honestly couldn't find the answers I was looking for. I am interested in getting a holster shirt. This isn't my ideal way of carrying, but there are certain circumstances where it might be the best/only way to do it. For instance, the Mall of America is a very NO GUN zone (even though I bet all the wannabe thugs are carrying) and many CCW holders have been spotted, detained and thrown out for carrying. Given the horrible neighborhood and the horrible clientele the MOA attracts, I am not going without my gun (I try all excuses to get out of going, but sometimes I have to go). Anywhere, this is just one example where it is best to be deep covered.

There only seems to be like three or four holster shirts on the market. I haven't seen any in person, but there are some that seen better than others. I like the looks of the "abetterholster.com" shirt, though there are only two pics to see. I also like the 5.11 holster shirt. My question is this:

Are the pockets on the 5.11 shirt sturdy enough to carry a Glock or LCP in condition one (round chambered)? I would never carry my LCP in my jeans pocket without a pocket holster, but maybe this shirt is different.

Anyone have any experience with any of the holster shirts on the market that would like to give their honest opinons on practicality/safety? I also have 3 young children so safety is paramount.

As always, thanks guys, you are the greatest!

2. Bowtie

Bowtie NRA MEMBER

wrong forum..Try carry issues or the holster forums on this site..

3. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr

I'll reply as though this was in carry issues:
    Are you looking at the 5.11 'tactical' undershirt, or the actual cotton shirts with a holster under the breast pocket area.
    I have one of the 5.11 undershirt varieties, and it is itchy until it gets broken in or well washed. It would be enough for an LCP or airweight, but the G27 isn't all that secure IMO. It is just too heavty.

4. Rand McNally

Rand McNally

"wrong forum..Try carry issues or the holster forums on this site.. "

Sorry, Admins, feel free to move this thread.

Yes, I am looking at the actual compression T-shirt with the holster under the arm. Do you carry with a round chambered? Does the material seem sturdy enough as to not all the trigger to be inadvertantly pulled?

5. Bowtie

Bowtie NRA MEMBER

6. vafish

vafish

:rofl:

Bloomington, MN is hardly a rough area of town. I grew up not too far from MOA and my parents still live there. I was just at the MOA a week ago. It's not like trying to take a walk in South East DC. My permit isn't valid in MN so I wasn't carrying while I was there.

However, I still think you should carry wherever legal to do so.

I have no experience with the holster shirts, but this time of year in Minnesota you should be able to carry just about any gun short of a Barret .50 and not be detected. Decent IWB holster and a heavy flannel shirt of sweater and no one will see anything.

7. Caver 60

Caver 60

I carry a plastic Kahr in one of the 511 tee shirts. Also I can carry my older, double action, only Taurus PT145, but I think the 145 is about the upper limit. I don't worry about carrying either pistol in condition one and I never engage the safety on the Taurus. But again the Taurus is the older double action only model.

I'd get the 'V' neck tee shirt unless you like being choked and I have to order one size too large, because the shirt is cut for a guy with 6 pack abs and I've got a small spare tire. Even then it's tight on me.

Also it's scratchy, so I have to wear a cotton tee shirt under it. It works fine in cold weather, but in summertime it's hot unless you're spending the day in air conditioning.

8. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

I have a 5.11 holster shirt. I use it very infrequently but when I do, it would be a J-frame. An LCP would be perfectly fine. I don't think I would carry my G26 in it, though.

If the LCP was within my comfort zone to carry, I'd pocket-carry or SmartCarry or ankle-carry before using a holster shirt. YMMV.

9. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr

I carry with a round chambered if I am carrying.
    I do not have any worry about the trigger being pulled through the shirt. It is reinforced to support the weight of the pisotl as well in that area.
    I just feel that my G27 is just too heavy for the shirt in that position. You may try and feel differently.

10. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

http://www.specgear.com/Truss.html

This isn't a shirt, per se...

But this is what my B-I-L has been issued for concealment when he's out and about. His job as an Air Marshall depends on him carrying his weapon VERY well concealed, without the possibility of anyone not finding out until the poo-poo is going down.

He REALLY likes it....but would still rather carry on his waist.

-J-