close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Another help me secure my wireless thread.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by SkyStorm82, Feb 23, 2006.

1. SkyStorm82

SkyStorm82 DSG

I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop with a wireless card sticking out of it that says 2Wire on it. How do I know if my wireless is secure?

I just read some threads here about people able to check if they are in range of any "open" wireless connections. Wasn't able to find anything to help me though.

Thanks;c

2. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

Having a computer with a wireless NIC means that you can access a wireless LAN ... not that you have one. Do you have a wireless router? If you do then follow the suggestions in the other "wireless" threads and setup the security.

3. SkyStorm82

SkyStorm82 DSG

I don't know if I have a router or not. I'm set up with SBC DSL and I just use the wireless card instead of the cables the package came with.

4. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

Well if you are using the wireless card to connect then obviously you are connecting to a wireless device. It could be a wireless modem or a combo ... it could also be a neighbors network. Check the manual that came with your router/modem or Google the model number. You can also check your Internet provider’s home page.