close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Another Great Day in Yellowstone Nat. Park

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by lomfs24, Jul 5, 2003.

1. lomfs24

lomfs24

Another great day in Yellowstone National Park. The weather was awesome today. About 70 to 75 degrees. Bright sun, few clouds and just a touch of a breeze. Grass was green, sky was blue...hmmmmm, hmmmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmm....This is what summer is about.

I fully intended to take the digital camera with us today so I could bring you all some pictures from the park that you don't see in the picture books. Anyway, my wife had other plans and she didn't put the camera on the charger before we left (really after she used it last) and right after the second picture of the day the camera died. So I will post two pics for you now and the rest will have to come when I get the film from the other camera developed.

The first pic is of a pool in the Lower Geyser Basin called Silex Pool. The second picture is of a little geyser nearby that I don't know the name for.

The pictures that I will scan and post later will be of elk calves (with spots) Tower Falls, buffalo and of course Old Faithful.

Today we saw Elk, Buffalo, Antelope, Ducks, Canadian Honkers and even some Canadian Geese.

2. lomfs24

lomfs24

Here is the pic of the unkown geyser.

3. Alpine

Alpine

That is very beautiful. There's nothing like that around here, I can assure you.

4. kels

kels

Make sure you stop at the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum at Cody Wy on the way out.

5. lomfs24

lomfs24

We didn't make it down to the Cody musuem this time. We will probably head back down there in a week or two though. We live about 60 miles from the park as the crow flies but it is about 90 miles to either entrance. My dad is doing construction in that park so I will be in and out of there all summer. I will make it down to Cody later this summer.

I don't want to rub it in but it is great to live in God's country.

6. kels

kels

IF you are a GUN NUT, plan on spending the whole day. GRIN
    Might also take the video camera. They let me video tape
    inside a couple of years ago.
    There is also a old cafe/hotel. I cant think of the name.
    Has a lot of stuffed animal heads and a big carved bar from the 1800s
    in Cody.

7. NDGlock

NDGlock OIF2, KFOR12

Have you been to the Bob Marshall area? I was there last year. I agree that Montana is God's country. I am from western ND and it doesn't compare to the scenery out there. We went through Lewistown to Great Falls and down. I love it when one is sitting on a plateau with mountains in the distance. No wonder they call it Big Sky country.

What is the best place for IT work in Montana? Billings?

8. lomfs24

lomfs24

I have not been through the Bob Marshal in a long time. Glacier park in awe inspiring too.

The best place for IT work??? Hmmm. I would probably have to say Billings. But then again scenery isn't too much different from Western ND. Missoula and Great Falls probaby would have their share of work. In Great Falls the Air Force sub-contracts a lot of work too. Bozeman has quite a few "Technology" companies too. However, I know Bozeman took a hard hit when the "dot bomb" happened. Zoot Enterprises didn't seem to be affected here. They are still building their own community for employees. I think that Zoot Enterprises in Bozeman would be a great company if you could get on there.

Let me know if you move to Gods country, we could go shooting sometime.

9. kels

kels

Not to hijack the thread,
    but has anyone traveled from Billings
    down to Red Lodge and into Yellowstone.
    That little bit of curving road south of
    Red Lodge on 212 Hwy looks like fun. GRIN
    Also anyone spent the night in Red Lodge
    and what is it like?
    Thanks

10. lomfs24

lomfs24

Yes, I have been on that road. It is a great road. I am not talking about 4 lane great, I am talking about curvy, twisty, windy on the side of a cliff road. If you are from the coast and you plan on traveling that road, may I suggest some onboard oxygen? Remember, small aircraft have to be pressurized with oxygen to go over 10, 000 feet, but in a car you don't.

I don't really know the elevation of the top of that but you are on top of the world there.

11. Elkslayer

Elkslayer

Lomfs24 -

Just a little bit of light-hearted inter-state rivalry here, but you know 90% of Yellowstone is in Wyoming so don't be misleading these folks into believing that Montana (fine state that it is) is the home of Yellowstone. ;) Montana has a fantastic National Park called Glacier, well worth the drive to see.

Kels -

The Cafe/hotel you were referencing is the Irma. Named after Buffalo Bill's daughter. The cherry wood bar actually has a couple of bullet holes in it.

The highway you are speaking of that goes from Red Lodge Mt. to Cook City Mt. and into Silver Gate, the northeast enterance to Y-stone is called the Beartooth Highway. The elevation at the pass is 10,947. Because it is closed in winter and I have seen 20' + deep cuts in snow banks when they open it in the spring, it usually opens late and closes early. We had a cold spell with rain in late June this year and the Beartooth highway was closed because of 10" of wet snow.

Sure refreshes your soul to spend time in the high country tho.

12. lomfs24

lomfs24

Elkslayer,
    I read back through the posts and I don't see anything in there that would make anyone think that Montana is the home of Yellowstone. My location in my profile is Montana and I said it is great to live in God's Country. And you are correct, the majority of Yellowstone Park is, in fact, in Wyoning.

JUST FOR THE RECORD: Yellowstoe Park is Wyomings park, Glacier is Montana's.

However, when I say "It is great to live in God's country" I am refering to the area of the world where I live, not to states. I feel that most of Wyoming is also part of God's Country (Except that little part over there by Gillette, I don't know what God was thinking there).

And it's still great to be in God's Country!!!

13. Elkslayer

Elkslayer

didn't intend to cause any harm or hard feelings, just was trying to have a little fun with a neighbor. sorry for the misunderstanding

edited to add = I'll shut up now

14. kels

kels

Vacation was great this year, we hit Yellowstone on the way out and Glacier and Mt Rushmore on the way back. Flathead Lake on the way to Glacier is great also.

The only complaint I had was the Super 8 motels at West Yellowstone and Custer SD were way OVER PRICED. Nice but OVER PRICED. Next time we will stay a little farther out for a cheaper price.

15. lomfs24

lomfs24

No misunderstanding. I am just having fun back. And there are no hard feelings. I don't live in WY but there are some great places there. I would love to live in Jackson, if it weren't for the tourists. I think Cody would be cool too but I am sure they get their fair share of tourists too. Don't get me wrong, I like tourist money. I just think that since there is a tourist season we should be allowed to shoot a couple.

16. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

I'd love to visit Old Faithful and look at the huge elk herds and the mountains.

Enjoy!
    and don't feed da bears!

17. Verybigstick

Verybigstick VinceAutMorire

Doesn't it bother you that you can not legally carry a firearm to protect yourself and your family from critters n such (including human dirt bags) while vacationing in land that your tax dollars pay for (hence you own part of)? I used to frequent national Park alot but have cut back due to the fact that they support criminal activity and mammalian attacks by not allowing honest law abiding citizens to carry self defense weapons.

Verybigstick