Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
126,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just stopped at one of my two favorite shops this afternoon and two women came in. One looked to be in her 50's and the other in her 70's or 80's. As it turned out, it was a mother and daughter selling their father/husband's firearms. He apparently passed away earlier this year.

They had two rifles (nothing special) and two small HK handgun boxes. When the shop owner opened them up, it was a mint condition HK4 and the second box was the complete barrel, spring, and magazine set, as in 25ACP, 32ACP, and 380. The 22LR barrel and mag were in the gun. The barrels and springs looked untouched and the mags were certainly never loaded.

Anyway, my shop bought it. After the two women left, I took a hard look at the gun and kit and its, though the gun could use a cleaning, everything is in immaculate condition. My guess is that the owner had shot some 22LR through the gun and that was it.

The HK4 was the first handgun Heckler & Koch produced and it was offered until 1984. Its heavily based on the Mauser HSc (which I love). The "4" designation is due to the calibers and this is the first time I've even seen the compete set like this. Its an amazing find and I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Even on Gunbroker right now, I don't think there's a complete set. I see a couple with one caliber and a couple others with two or three calibers. You had the option of buying separate barrels or the complete set when purchasing this gun back in the day.

At any rate, the guy who prices the rare stuff like this is out of town and won't be back until Wednesday. I told them to stick it in the back for me. If he gives me a decent enough deal, I'll take it. After all, its not something you really ever see, especially in this condition. :)

Its pretty damn cool, actually. :cool:

I've wanted an HK4 for quite a while and to find the entire set looking like it just left Germany, is awesome. :supergrin:

·
Oh, for a muse of fire
9,151 Posts
So which "gem" is hotter, the mother or the daughter?

·
Registered
59,812 Posts
Sounds like a wonderful and rare find. Wonderful and rare enough such that it might be time to pull rank, break out your keys to the shop, go there after they have closed, fill our the 4473 yourself and leave the money on the cash register.:whistling:

I know I just used that line a couple threads ago

·
Banned
722 Posts
Bac, it's no Exeter Sig, but a solid find nonetheless! :whistling:

I am perplexed ... based upon your personal collection and knowledge, why would you not open your own 'hobby' storefront to catch these things before they hit wholesale or retail?

·
Registered
884 Posts
back in 79 the rod and gun club in gissen germany had them for sale. they were priced low, don't remember but low. i looked at them and did not like them. what a dumb ass i was in those days. i now wish i got a truck load.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I see you were the nice guy and didn't just offer them cash direct. I guess the shop have booted you on that one. I'm assuming you plan to shop there again. :)

·
Registered
126,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I see you were the nice guy and didn't just offer them cash direct. I guess the shop have booted you on that one. I'm assuming you plan to shop there again. :)
Yeah, that wouldn't have been a good idea. The shop has been a stomping ground for me for many years. I do all my Gunbroker transfers there as well. I know the owners well, so offering to give the lady $550, wouldn't have been a smart move on my part.

Besides that, I don't carry that kind of cash on me...

·
Brass Vulture
10,265 Posts
Sounds like you're determined to scoop it up but keep us posted. Seems like you're on fire again. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I hope that you can work out a deal. The HK 4 used to sell at very low prices in Germany when it was closed out but that was also due to legislation.

A friend of mine had carried one when he was a customs officer, in .32 ACP.

·
Registered
126,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
126,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds like you're determined to scoop it up but keep us posted. Seems like you're on fire again. :thumbsup:
Thanks

I'm not really on fire. The only thing I actually bought was July was the S&W 66.

The Star turned out to be a fake. If I pick up this H&K, it may end up being my last purchase of the year. They're also holding the Colt 1903 for me, but it can stay in the back a while. They don't give me a hard time about it.

·
Banned
17,266 Posts
I just stopped at one of my two favorite shops this afternoon and two women came in. One looked to be in her 50's and the other in her 70's or 80's. As it turned out, it was a mother and daughter selling their father/husband's firearms. He apparently passed away earlier this year.

They had two rifles (nothing special) and two small HK handgun boxes. When the shop owner opened them up, it was a mint condition HK4 and the second box was the complete barrel, spring, and magazine set, as in 25ACP, 32ACP, and 380. The 22LR barrel and mag were in the gun. The barrels and springs looked untouched and the mags were certainly never loaded.

Anyway, my shop bought it. After the two women left, I took a hard look at the gun and kit and its, though the gun could use a cleaning, everything is in immaculate condition. My guess is that the owner had shot some 22LR through the gun and that was it.

The HK4 was the first handgun Heckler & Koch produced and it was offered until 1984. Its heavily based on the Mauser HSc (which I love). The "4" designation is due to the calibers and this is the first time I've even seen the compete set like this. Its an amazing find and I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Even on Gunbroker right now, I don't think there's a complete set. I see a couple with one caliber and a couple others with two or three calibers. You had the option of buying separate barrels or the complete set when purchasing this gun back in the day.

At any rate, the guy who prices the rare stuff like this is out of town and won't be back until Wednesday. I told them to stick it in the back for me. If he gives me a decent enough deal, I'll take it. After all, its not something you really ever see, especially in this condition. :)

Its pretty damn cool, actually. :cool:

I've wanted an HK4 for quite a while and to find the entire set looking like it just left Germany, is awesome. :supergrin:
Your local shop... Again?! Dude you are their mark... Setting you up. Like a heroin dealer saying : the first ones on me...:whistling:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
HAD A CHANCE ON A HK 4 IN THE 1970 'S . WHAT DID I KNOW BACK THEN I WAS IN MY EARLY 20'S :faint:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts