another G36 problem thread

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 9mmgeek, Aug 9, 2019.

1. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

So you have a different issue, then. Mine was not a limp wrist and I never fully understood what it was. Only that I was not going to sell a pistol to someone that I knew didn't work. Replacing all of the parts in the slide seemed to have fixed it.

2. John B

John B

My feed ramp is curved like your picture. It will run all 230 grain ball ammo, but is picky about lighter bullets. 185s tend to jamb into the sharp edge of the feed ramp also the flat points. I use Berry’s 230 gr plated round nose for competition and practice. Corbon solid copper HP 185 for carry loads. Have never had a problem with either. I have two G36s. The second was given to me by my brother. He could not get it to feed reliably to save his life. It has never malfunctioned for me. That I don’t get.

3. John B

John B

4. atoalson

atoalson

My G36 has the curved feed ramp and the envelope is dated 2/9/13. On a few occasions I believe it had a FTE(can't remember) from last year. I don't remember if I was shooting cheap target ammo or good JHP. Hopefully this help some.

5. Lockback

Lockback Polymerlicious!

Me too.
    I have one from its first year of production and it's been flawless. Many thousands of rounds through it, too.

MinervaDoe likes this.
  6. bac1023

bac1023

Sorry to hear

Never been a big fan of the G36.

7. Neal

Neal Millennium Member

According to another thread, there was apparently a recall on some Glock 36s. Here is the list posted of the affected serial numbers:

The affected serial number ranges are:
    GKD 000-999
    GLM 000-999
    GRC 500-999

For those who are having feeding problems, is your gun in these serial number ranges?

8. cciman

cciman

Best course of action is to send this device to the factory with detailed description of how it is behaving.

Too many possibilities.

9. hi-power man

hi-power man Silver Member

I too read the G36 threads with interest.

I'm thinking the recall was not a barrel issue but a functional safety issue due to some bad vendor parts, but I have never seen anything in "Glock documents" about it.

My 36 has the curved bottom feed ramp, 11/15/2002 shell case date.

My experience:
    I love the 45 ACP, maybe typical old guy. My G36 shell casing date is 11/15/2002. It was my first Glock and I "shot it like I stole it". I shot every type of FMJ ammo I could find. I also shot gold dots or hydro shocks for JHP. I was looking for a failure, but the unit performed without any issues. In 2011 I retired the G36 due to hand surgery. As I remember, it was approaching 6000 rounds and was rebuilt two times.

The most noticeable result of the 2011 surgery was losing some of the closing ability in my hand. But the G30 fit fine, so I started a second Glock adventure. I put it through the same program - any and all 45's I could find. I would have to check to be sure but I think I am about to hit 3000 rounds this year. No issues.

10. 9mmgeek

9mmgeek

I found the original receipt and I bought my G36 new in April 2001. It has been in the safe for most of those 18 years. It would never run more than one magazine without some sort of jam. I took it out every few years to see if I could get it working right y replacing different parts but never had any luck.

Well I bought a new barrel for my G36. The feed ramp on the new barrel "looks" the same as the old barrel. I don't have any way to measure the different aspects of it. The chamber block has the new downward curve as it gets closer to the chamber face. See picture in earlier post this thread.

It has been flawless for 130 rounds now. It never, ever did that before. 5 different mags, 200 gr RN and 200gr hollow point (plated target), 230 gr RN. Free style, strong hand, weak hand, no problems.

The new curved part of the chamber block does not appear to be making any contact that would explain the difference. The only thing I can think of is that it is added mass that makes the back of the barrel, the feed ramp area, drop down more reliably while it is cycling. Just a guess. I don't have any way to weigh the two barrels and compare them.

I still need to shoot a couple hundred more rounds and test personal protection JHP ammo but I am jazzed and thank those who mentioned the replacement barrels.

11. capcap

capcap

I had three Glock 36s. One had the “dished out” feed ramp you showed above. It would reliably feed Gold Dot or HST. Would feed ball.

The other two, with a more traditional straight feed ramp will feed anything.

Dave T likes this.
  12. H&K .45 AUTO

H&K .45 AUTO Gunslinger

If the G36 I owned had been my first Glock pistol, I can assure you that I would have never bought another one. It was without a doubt, the single most unreliable firearm I have ever owned, bar none. That is out of a pool of at least 60 contestants over the years. That G36 stands as the King of POS guns in my book.

I don't know about the barrel change. I can only say that mine was garbage. It never made it through a full magazine no matter what ammunition I tried. And, I am certain it was a gun issue as I have had great reliability from the subcompact Colt Defender in .45 ACP, the G27 in .40 S&W, the G33 in .357 SIG, and even the lowly Taurus PT-145.

In my eyes, the G36 will always be the red-headed-stepchild of the Glock lineup. If you have one that works, great. Still, mine was among the many that did not, and that is the very definition of an anti-Glock, Glock in my book.

13. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

I've never had a problem with my G36 and all I shoot are 230 FMJ. I have the older barrel with the curved feed ramp.

Shot it out of the box at a GSSF with just a swab through the barrel.

I do have the same problem with my G23 shooting 9mm with a conversion barrel so I put a recoil spring from a G19 and had the same problem. Finally, I gave up and just shot 40S&W and still have the same problem..

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  14. trackstar55

trackstar55

Had mine for a long time. 100% reliable and love it. No issues with any ammo I throw at it. Great gun.

15. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

16. Dave514

Dave514

17. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

"Absolutely the worst gun I own."
    Send it to Glock. you should have done that a long time ago. Glock needs to know how many of these guns are having problems.

Blanton likes this.
  18. tuica

tuica

I had to see this G36 thread. Mine has been as reliable as any of my other Glocks. Because of some of the model’s problems, I’ve wrung it out more than any other of my carry pistols. With every ammo I use. Shooting as fast as I possibly can.

Don’t want to check any internals, as it’s loaded up and my favorite autumn CCW. Bad thumb web arthritis makes racking a slide very painful, so only do it when necessary. If I have to operate any semi-auto pistol in a fight, the pain won’t matter. And won’t be noticed. I wore it this very day. Serial starts with NKX.

19. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Friends Call Me "Flash"

My G36 has never missed a beat!
    The .45acp has a 230 grain FMJ bullet by design and I don't play around with that. 230 grain ball is what it's designed to feed and that's what works best. Any other ammunition option reduces reliability.

Flash

20. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

While I'm fortunate enough to have one that digests anything, I believe you in that yours is a lemon. Based on your statements of other 45s, the only logical reason is that 36 is cursed. Have you thought of sending it to Glock? Perhaps there is an upgrade or two of which you are lacking. I hope you can make something of it.