Another G30sf snaful question

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by kraigster414, Feb 12, 2010.

1. kraigster414

kraigster414

I have one of the early G30sf - s/n LWTxxx purchased in March 2008 right after the intro. It shoots fine however, when manually extracting rounds through the gun (full or partially filled mag), I've got to be quick and really yank back on the slide or it locks after about an inch of movement - the only way to remove the round from the chamber at that point, is to drop the mag. This is far different from my G23 - much smoother manual extraction.

I know we've all talked about the G30sf mag springs, how they are stiffer than hell but do loosen up a bit in time and am wondering if its the mag spring that's causing this (I ordered the newer G30 mag springs but have not received), I also noticed that my G30 mag followers are getting more chewed up compared to my G23 followers. I just ordered the new 4256-1- trigger bar from Glockparts to see if it will make any difference. I have already tried various recoil spring assemblies - stock and Wolff, no difference there. Thanks. Any insight would be appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  2. cmspeedy

cmspeedy

Is your ejected brass dented?

3. kraigster414

kraigster414

No not at all. And I have tested with both factory and reloaded rounds. Same-same.

It does seem to get better the more I load, empty and reload the mag.

4. FlyfishermanMike

FlyfishermanMike

Sounds like your mag springs. I've had those same symptoms with my 30. They are super stiff! I load mine full, take my mag loader and then repeatedly push down on the top round, pretty hard. The springs will wear only when you cycle them. You could even take the mag springs out and compress them fully in a vise a few times. When I first had my 30 I couldn't rake it will full mags and now I can do it just fine. My followers do look a little more beat up than others do but now it's not getting any worse. The -1- TB came in my gun, (NWX, 9-30-09) Good luck!

^^ike

5. cmspeedy

cmspeedy

If you can be without it for about a month I would just send it in.

If you don't have another carry gun this is a perfect excuse to buy a new one.

6. kraigster414

kraigster414

I am inclined to think it's spring related too. Otherwise the gun works fine. I would be very hesitant about sending a gun in for something that can be addressed at home. I see Glockparts.com does advertise newer design mag springs for the G30. Can I expect any real improvement over the original mag springs? And is it even worth it in my case to install the new 4256-1- TB in an older G30sf?

7. striker6126

striker6126

My g30 (non sf) does the same thing but only with g21 mags. I was thinking about taking it to glock also. It does shoot fine with the same mags just locks up when cycling by hand.

8. kraigster414

kraigster414

Good to know I am not the only one and it's not unique to the 30SF. All my mags (except one) are G30, both 9 and 10 rounders but interestingly enough, I have a G21 mag with a grip sleeve that I bought for my G30sf and it's the least problematic of all. Go figure. Any chance a tweak in the follower design for the G30/G30sf could make a difference? Anybody using the new G30 mag springs?

Striker when cycling by hand you have to make sure you pull the slide back as far as it will go, quickly, and with a good deal of force. This seems to reduce the chance of lock up but not entirely. Of course the main thing is how it performs in live fire mode. Yours and mine seem to be ok.