Another G17 vs G34 question

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Dkiss103, Aug 15, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Dkiss103

Dkiss103

Ok so i am looking into getting a g17 or g34 for uspsa/idpa shooting. My question is if the g34 is worth the extra money over the g17? I plan on adding the TTI sights and trigger to both, and if i get the g17 i will swap the mag release and slide release for the extended 34 versions. So after that pretty much only difference i know of will be the slide length. Price for the g17 is $445 plus tax, and for the g34 $550 plus tax (blue label prices) both are gen 4. Would the difference between the two justify the $100?
    Thanks for any input, im sure this question has been asked before

2. Dkiss103

Dkiss103

Oh and i forgot to mention it will take a week for the G17 to come in, but the G34 will take up to 90 days.

3. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

If you are brand new to competition, then it won't matter which model you get. Most shots in IDPA and USPSA are within 15 yards. Will the extra .7" sight radius help? Yes, for the couple of shots in the match. Is it worth an extra $100? No, not to me. I have been running G17s since the late 90's, even though a have a G34 and G17L. OEM GLock sights suck, but there are a number of really nice sights available, Heines, Dawson Precision, Taran Tactical. I run black on black, some guys like the fiber optic, but most people tend to shoot them high by placing the dot across the flats. Don't recommend extended slide stops for newbies, they tend to ride them with their thumb and get disconnected mags during a run. Extended mag release is just a G21 release in a small frame. Don't recommend complete after market triggers, only the 3.5 OEM connector. And a mag well for USPSA. You also have to figure out which division you want to be in, Production, Limited, Limited 10.

If you are serious about competition, best thing you can do is take shooting lessons from a local Grand Master. There is a whole world of stuff going on in competition besides just the gun,

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
    Dkiss103 likes this.
  4. mikeashurst

mikeashurst

I personally like the G17 very much. When you become a great shooter with it after many many rounds of 9mm, you'll be good to go to carry it for defense as well!

5. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Here are my two competition G17s. The upper one has about 125,000 thru it and the lower one about 50,000, maybe more. Henie wide cut black on black sights, fitted BarSto barrels, 3.5 lb OEM connector, Lone Wolf Grip sleeve, Amazon mag well, Taylor Freelance +6 extensions,

[​IMG]

6. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Don't forget your gear, a good holster, BladeTech Revolution or CompTac, good belt, Wilderness Original Instructors belt, Blade Tech single mag pouches ( you can only have 2 for IDPA) as many as you want for USPSA, and extra magazines, at least 6 if you choose USPSA production. And electric ears are a plus, Peltor Tac 6s, about $55 at Amazon. Some clubs will require you to take a 4-6 hour safety class before you can shoot, check with the match directors

USPSA.com
    IDPA.com

7. angrynick

angrynick

The difference between the two isn't going to make or break you. In the end, it's the shooter.

8. Dkiss103

Dkiss103

Thanks for all your input! I'm not new to shooting, but am new to competition. I plan on getting ahold of some competition shooters in my area for some help. Most of my training has been defensive pistol shooting,been thru defensive pistol classes at front sight (if that means anything ha). But very interested in competition. Will look into some of the gear you mentioned, I have some of the items already.

9. glide

glide Just sayin'

Get both! Nice to have a back up pistol.

10. angrynick

angrynick

Competition shooting is a blast. It's extremely addicting. I look forward to it each month, and try to shoot multiple matches per month. You'll love it. There are a ton of videos on YouTube. You just gotta figure out what division you want to shoot, be safe, and have fun. For a dedicated competition pistol, I decided to go with the G34. My carry is a G19.

11. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

The difference is not that great. It's largely a matter of personal preference, and a case can be made either way. Try to shoot both, and see which works best for you. If you are going to get into competition, you'll likely end up with a bunch of guns, parts, broken guns, etc. The difference between a 17 and 34 is just the slide length. You could get a take-off slide from Gunbroker, etc. to compare. The longer slide will probably print differently enough to warrant a different front sight height.

12. Dkiss103

Dkiss103

I have shot a g17 gen 3, really enjoyed the gun. Havent had the chance to hold a G34. They are hard to find in my area, every gun store ive called has told me they would have to order it. I did just find a guy selling a gen 3 34 like new for $550. Seem like a fair price?

13. angrynick

angrynick

That's about $100 cheaper than what you'd pay (including tax). Considering they are not available in your area, I'd say it's a good deal if it's really like new.

*Oh, it's a gen 3. I'd try to get him down to $500. That's just me.

14. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

It's hard to day. You may want one more than the other and hate yourself for not being patient. People use both. I'd get the one you like the best. If you live anywhere in SW FL, you could try mine to see which you like better.

15. Buckshot Barry

Buckshot Barry

FWIW, I get slide lock backs when using the extended slide stop on my Gen 4 34 with no back strap installed.

Never an issue on my Gen 3's, but my hand rides just a tad higher on the Gen 4 frame and my thumb sometimes hits it during recoil with a thumbs forward hold. Nothing wrong with my Gen 4 34, it's just me.

I would like to add as much as I like my Gen 3 Glocks, the Gen 4 grip texture is great when shooting in the rain.

16. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

Cheapest Gen 4 G34 I've seen without having to order off line was $645. That came with back straps, 3 mags, and fully adjustable rear sight. I'm with the other poster...get him to $500 on the Gen 3.