close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Another Formating question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Weezer, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Weezer

Weezer

My dad got a desk top that was used in an office, and I want to clean up the drive for him because there is a ton of crap on there, and some of the programs won't even un-install all the way. So when I try to make a boot disk, a window pops up saying "insert Windows 98 CD". So I do and it just won't recognize it. I've tried numerous times with no luck. Isthere a way to get a windows 98 boot disk, or another way to format the drive without one?

Thanks.

2. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

If the machine is not too old, you should be able to boot from the CD ROM.

When you fire it up go into the BIOS (when the machine first turns on it should very briefly say press escape, f1, f2 or something to enter setup).

Look for boot options, or boot order or something to that effect. See if it wont let you make the CD the primary boot device.

The reason your boot disk and CD arent cooperating is that they are probably 2 slightly different versions.

3. Weezer

Weezer

Ok, thanks. What is the command to reformat the drive then?

4. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

If you can boot from the CD ROM, when you do the install, it should give you the option to format the drive. If you can't boot from the CD, I can e-mail you an image of a boot disk that will (should) allow you to fdisk/format the drive, and access the CD ROM drive.

Lemme know if you need that.

sc