close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Another flashlight mod

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by CitizenOfDreams, Jul 17, 2012.

1. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

Take your typical round flashlight, toss it up a few inches and catch it. Feel the batteries bouncing inside? Don't you think it's a bit sloppy for a hi-tech tactical electronic aircraft-grade anodized machined aluminum light?

I thought so too. So I took my MTE C3-907 apart and applied a thin layer of silicone on the inside. I used an old battery greased with motor oil to size the silicone. After the silicone cured, I honed it so a battery would slide in an out with just a bit of friction. Now my flashlight feels like a solid piece. :wavey:

2. goldenlight

goldenlight

High quality flashlights don't have any significant battery play. None of mine do, anyways. I just shook a bunch of them.

You do realize that ALL types of batteries vary in size, don't you?

Now that you have 'customized' your flashlight to fit the brand that was loose, you'll likely find that other brands won't fit.

Double A batteries are made by more different manufacturers than any other size, and in more battery chemistries than most others: zinc-carbon ('heavy duty') alkaline, Ni-cad, NiMH, primary lithium, and rechargeable lithium-ion.

In particular, the rechargeable lithium-ion batteries tend to be oversize. It is a feature of many LED flashlights that they will accommodate the slightly larger lithium-ion AA sized rechargeable cells.

A $25 flashlight may be a good value, but it's not going to have the quality construction of better flashlights.

By 'better flashlights', I mean other flashlights made in China, but built to higher standards. Like Fenix, Nitecore, Foursevens, and many others. They cost more that $25. Most start around $50. It's the real world cost of high quality flashlights.

Because, you do get what you pay for. Always.

You need to buy a better quality flashlight.

The proper way to deal with an undersized battery is to wrap it with some paper or Scotch tape, not put silicone caulk inside your flashlight.

You really need to sign up over on candlepowerforums.com, and spend some time there.:whistling: