Another express card question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by hotlunch, Aug 16, 2007.

1. hotlunch

hotlunch

Got a Verizon express card that works with an IBM pc but is not the same shape to fit my Dell notebook. Is there such a thing as an express card adapter that would make it work in my Dell port?

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

The older laptops have a slot now called "PC Card". The newer laptops have a slot called "Express Card". There are 34 pin and 54 pin Express Card slots. The 54 pin slot will accept the 34 pin Express Cards also. There is also a slot called PC Card II. Did you open the Express Card slot on the Dell and remove the plastic insert?

3. hotlunch

hotlunch

Um...yes, I opened the Express Card slot and removed the plastic insert. I'm talking about the shape of the slot and respective cards--the Dell port is deeper on one side. The card would have to be in sort of a "L" shape and not straight rectangle.

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I'm still not sure if the Verizon card you have is a PC Card or an Express Card. The Dell should be Express Card 54 (54 pin) these take both 54 pin and smaller 34 pin Express Cards. If the slot is an Express Card 34 slot then Express Card 54 pin cards will not fit. The offset in the slot is for the 54 pin cards. The 34 pin cards should also work.