close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Another Example How Montana is DIFFERENT

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Tarkio, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Tarkio

Tarkio

Super messes up, fesses up and survives, for now. Only in Montana.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...cle_7b7a0efa-2b3b-11df-b0ba-001cc4c03286.html

Superintendent accidentally discharges muzzleloader in class

ROB ROGERS Of The Gazette Staff | Posted: Monday, March 8, 2010 10:19 pm | No Comments Posted

Dwain Haggard’s high school history lesson on Friday backfired.

Haggard, who used to be a Civil War reenactor, was showing the five students in Reed Point High’s American history class his replica antique black powder muzzleloader when the gun fired and lodged a ball in the front wall of the classroom.

“I can’t explain how it was loaded,” Haggard said.

Haggard has been district superintendent since 2007, and each year he’s visited the high school’s American history class to show off his Civil War-era equipment. When he shows the muzzleloader, he finishes the demonstration by firing a cap, which makes a small “pop” when he pulls the trigger, he said.

But this time, “when I dropped the hammer on it, to all of our surprise, it went off,” he said.

Jake Bare, a junior at Reed Point High, was in the class when the gun fired. He said it caught everybody off guard.

When Haggard pulled the trigger, there was a loud bang,and the room filled with smoke, Bare said.

“Holy criminy, you just shot the map,” he said.

Indeed, the ball shot through the “o” in the word “North” at the top of the map and lodged in the wall, Haggard said.

The gun was never pointed at the students once Haggard inserted the cap. He was facing away from the students, pointing the gun toward the ceiling when he pulled the trigger.

The students were “never really in danger,” he said.

After settling down the students and dismissing class, Haggard said, he called the school board to explain what happened and then called the parents of the five students.

“None of them were upset with me,” he said.

One father, he said, laughed until he cried.

The board and his staff have been supportive, he said.

He described the incident as “bitter irony.” As superintendent, Haggard has worked with the school to increase safety at the school, updating its drills and the training staff receives.

2. SafetyGuy83

SafetyGuy83

I appreciate the fact that the parents were understanding and that once the cap was in place he never pointed it at the student, and I can even buy that the students were never even in any real danger. What I have hard time with is at the end of the day this guy brought a loaded firearm into the school and then into a classroom where he then discharged the weapon into the wall. I do not know about Montana but even in rural Pennsylvania students and faculty are not permitted to have even a pocket knife on school grounds. This man should be fired. He violated not only school policy but also some very basic principles of gun safety. I don't know how it got loaded is not an acceptable excuse.

3. pulaskipusher

pulaskipusher Topodaworldma!

Else where a swat team stormed the school...

Gotta love Montana

4. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

When I was in school, during deer season, half the cars in the parking lot had deer rifles and knives in them.

5. buckhunter3987

buckhunter3987

THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!!!!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

6. buckhunter3987

buckhunter3987

:upeyes:

7. Morris

Morris CLM

Hmmm, I bring loaded firearms into my kiddo's school all of the time . . .

8. RioKid

RioKid

That was very irresponsible of Mr. Haggard. The “I can’t explain how it was loaded,” is not acceptable and I expect he has not heard the last of this.

9. SafetyGuy83

SafetyGuy83

Yeah it was the same when I was in school. My point was not so much about keeping guns and knives out of schools as much as it was whats good for the goose is good for the gander. Kids cannot lock an unloaded deer rifle in their car, but the Superintendant can crank off a round in the classroom!?

Good for Montana though for at least allowing the opportunity and the parents for being understanding :whistling:

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

That's what I thought... Idiot, how it happened is you took it loaded. I can't believe he did that. I'm guessing he doesn't have a clear understanding of the firearm. He probably checked it, and thought it was unloaded, then got the surprise.

At least the other safety rules were being followed.

11. jpa

jpa CLM

Wow...who crapped in your cheerios?

I thought the same thing..."the shot heard 'round the world..."

12. SafetyGuy83

SafetyGuy83

:rofl:Yeah I just came back and read this! Maybe a little over the top... I am on my 28th 13 hour day in a rown on night shift. It may be starting to get to me :uglylol:

13. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Are you for real? I took my hunting rifle and even my .38 special to school when I was a teen... :upeyes: Gee no wonder the libs are winning.

14. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Guess I should read ahead before I reply...:wavey:

15. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

This.

Besides being the 2010 entry in the "Who wants to be a DEA agent?" contest, the whole "Beats me, maybe the powder/ball/ramrod/cap fairy did it" approach fails to teach responsibility. That's supposed to be part of his job description.

16. wavetrain75

wavetrain75 Useless Member

Even toy guns are not permitted in schools, but rural Montana is a whole different world. My Mom is a teacher at a small one room rural school where some of the girls still ride horses to school (and in the rodeo too). She allows toy guns and the kids play cowboys and Indians during recess.

She also keeps a .357 in the teacher house (on school property) but I doubt it's ever actually been in the school building. It's for snakes, not intruders. There is also an improvised trap range close to the school.

Very, very, very different world.

17. imsuchahotdog

imsuchahotdog

yeah right, who says criminy ? :rofl:

18. GAFinch

GAFinch

No guns here, but had a science teacher in middle school bring in a couple katanas for a demonstration that his dad had brought home from Japan after the war.

19. Bruce H

Bruce H

At least the students received the real deal on instructions, not the look its a gun BS.:supergrin:

20. fitz4609

fitz4609

As Sam eluded to, maybe he was the only one qualified enough to handle that flintlock? :dunno: