Another DFW Questionable Shooting

Discussion in 'The Furball Forum' started by HalfHazzard, Oct 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. faceplant

faceplant

Jefferson’s neighbor, told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram he called a non-emergency police number when he saw her doors open and lights on in the early morning hours. He said he knew Jefferson was home with her nephew.

He said he was trying to be a good neighbor and called authorities so they could check on Jefferson.:dunno:

https://fox8.com/2019/10/13/woman-s...ce-officer-in-her-own-home-investigators-say/

2. faceplant

faceplant

3. Sharkey

Sharkey

It is obvious you want to "question the standard response" so go ahead, let us hear it. You then in another post in this thread make a snide remark about not being seen in a window holding a gun for fear of being shot. THAT is exactly what is NOT wanted in that section. Not only that but you leave out quote a bit of context as well - such as time of morning, your front door is open, and police were called.

Common sense tells me that we all have opinions but when someone has an opinion AND is also involved in that subject as a profession and on a daily basis, well that opinion might just be a bit more valid than the person just stating his opinion, usually based on emotion (not that yours is).

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

K. Foster likes this.
  4. Delndskyjmpr

Delndskyjmpr

I saw it on the world news last night. Not sure if edited out by the news, but I never once heard the police announce their presence, especicially when shining their flashlights thru the window, all I heard was the shot fired by the officer from the body cam footage... later I read an article that stated the officer gave commands to drop the weapon or get on the ground. The poor woman was probably scared and unaware police were there and maybe thinking someone was looking to brake in.

May this young woman Rest In Peace!!!

Kinda had something similar happen a few years ago with our Sheriffs Office. Had a roommate at the time, he was known to be a crap starter at times. Well about midnight one night I hear someone banging on my front door calling/ yelling his name out, I was just falling asleep when I heard this, I grab a pistol and yell verbal commands to stop beating on my door and to step away and announce I have a gun. About 5 seconds later, they announce who they are, tell them I’m putting down my gun and slowly will open the door. About 4 deputies come from down the walkway and around my house, they scattered when I announced I had a gun. Long story short, the seargent was pretty cool and afterwards I kinda game him a butt chewing, you guys just can’t go up in the middle of the night and start beating on someone’s house and yelling someone’s name out without addressing who you are. He totally agreed and agreed with how I responded. We ended up laughing afterwards after the adrenaline slowed. This was all due to a wellness check that an ex-gf of his had called in.

I do applaude all agencies using body cams now. It takes away any questionable doubt in probably most cases and protects those on either side of being wrongly accused.

Sharkey, OGW and FullClip like this.
  5. PlayerOne

PlayerOne

The bodycam footage is literally the second post.

At no point did they announce their presence until the seconds prior to shooting her. From the articles I've read, they found a gun inside the house (in a Texas household? Say it ain't so.) Don't know if she had it on her when she was killed.

6. Sharkey

Sharkey

How it was dispatched to patrol and what the neighbor told dispatch also matters. Maybe the officer was doing further checking before knocking on a "harmless" open door and saw the resident with a gun and before he called for a backup. Also do we know if a backup was not already dispatched?
    Who in Fort Worth leaves the front door open at 2:30 in the morning? I live here and that is NOT normal. Is the officer justified? I dunno yet.

Let's reverse this - he is answering a welfare check on an open door, makes his announcement and then gets shot and killed in a burglary in progress. This thread wouldn't exist and the paper would say - Officer murdered in a Burglary and we would all just move on.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

buster55 likes this.
  7. PlayerOne

PlayerOne

Some of these comments in here... JFC.

I frequently book flights that depart early in the morning around 5/6 AM. Being the procrastinator I am, I normally start packing at 1/2 AM. This means the lights in the house will be on and ****s strewn about. I hope I don't get murdered by a cop.

Dave514 likes this.
  8. Jonesee

Jonesee

That one undeniable fact is the police shot and killed a home owner who thought she was safe in her own home.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  9. R.B. Riddick

R.B. Riddick

This phone call should be reviewed because the neighbor said he knew she was home with her nephew and the call was placed to a non emergency line.

OGW, FullClip and Jonesee like this.
  10. amd65

amd65

Apparently one needs motion sensors, external cameras, floodlights, and a Doberman with access to a doggy door to keep police from coming on their property and shooting them.

badge315, syntaxerrorsix and Jonesee like this.
  11. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

Of course. And what did he say then.

or better, why didn’t he knock on the door?

because it was after2am with a door open. Which was “unusual “ by his description. That a possible burglary. Now, how did it go over the radio

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  12. CAcop

CAcop

You know non emergency and 911 calls go to the same place right?

Unless they are calling Records, Investigations, or some other division that has someone there to answer phones at that time of day. Even then that person will call dispatch on an agency only line. It will still end up at the same place.

Bruce M and faceplant like this.
  13. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Yup...I sure ain't in the profession of peeking in windows whie hiding in the bushes. When us ignorant civilians do that, we get called "Peeping Toms".

I am by no way "anti-cop", but can't help but see the way the police rally around one of their boys who got nervous and capped a woman in her own house, minding her own business. Makes my sorry civilian arse wonder a bit.
    Still think they should pass-word the "Cop Talk" forum so us poor civies don't know about the thoughts of our police officers when it comes to standard operating procedures of the law enforcement professionals.

syntaxerrorsix and Jonesee like this.
  14. R.B. Riddick

R.B. Riddick

I assumed it was a different area to filter emergency vs non urgent calls. Are these calls recorded?

FullClip likes this.
  15. CAcop

CAcop

There is what the caller told the call taker.

There is what the call taker sent to the dispatch pod for that area.

There is what the dispatcher told the officer or merely just pushed the CAD info to his MDT.

It's why one of my first posts mentioned CAD and RMS info about the premises and persons associated with it.

If say one of the residents was recently arrested for a LARGE amount of coke, meth, or heroin I would be calling extra people because this could easily be a hit or dope rip or other drama.

If it is just someone who reported their bicycle stolen from their front porch 6 months ago I am going to be a lot more chill but I still might take precautions just in case this is a dope rip.

16. LordAnderson

LordAnderson

But just like with Guyger, if you are that concerned that there is a treat inside, wouldn’t your reaction be to wait for additional help instead of creeping around the back to what could be an ambush?

17. CAcop

CAcop

Nope. Some agencies might have a different area for non emergency calls in their dispatch center but they still have to go to the same place.

Some people haven't gotten the message cellphone antenna technology and direction means you don't have to call the police via a number other than 911. In my area they aim the antennas down the freeway so that if someone calls 911 it goes to CHP. The others are sent to our multi county 911 center.

Then there are clowns who call 911 to report someone parked a car in front of their house and they want it moved because that part of the street is theirs or they want to know if it raining.

All the calls that are reasonably legit get entered into CAD and ranked by priority.

There are only two lines that are unrecorded at our dispatch center. One is in the break room and one is in director of the center's office.

18. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

Again, there is a balance between tactics, apprehension of the bad guy and getting things done.

19. HalfHazzard

HalfHazzard Trump Sucks

Why wouldn’t these be the same? Do they not give verbatim repeat backs to ensure 100% correct message is passed?

20. HalfHazzard

HalfHazzard Trump Sucks

Which of these three do you think he prioritized in this scenario?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.