Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Oh, for a muse of fire
9,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I felt a little lazy today, so I left Avalanche home and took the 4-wheeler out. I went to the hunting club I belong to, and while I planned on going deeper into the woods, it was just too damn wet for me to want to risk getting stuck in the mud and having to walk 3 or more miles to my truck, then drive home and get help.

This was the best part of the trail.

muddy trail.jpg

The area is dotted with the remnants of old homesteads from the mid 1800's. It was pretty remote back then.
foundation 1.jpg

foundation 2.jpg

foundation 7.jpg
fondation 8.jpg

One thing I marvel at is the labor that must have been oppressively backbreaking, building stonewalls. They are all over the place, some running for 100's of yards, some just a few yards.
stonewall 1.jpg
stonewall 2.jpg

There is a power line that dissects the property, and the local bears use the poles to mark. I don't know if it is a territorial thing or what the reason may be, but every pole is scratched up to one degree or another, and I haven't seen it anywhere else I have hiked.
bear markings.jpg

And one bear left a bit more than some scratches. :)

bear poo.jpg

·
Oh, for a muse of fire
9,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reactions: ranger1968

·
Oh, for a muse of fire
9,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Oh, for a muse of fire
9,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ive always been fascinated by old structures. Ever find old bottles or tools?
The one picture shows some metal implements, but that's about all I have found on this property. In an area I used to hunt in the 70's there is the remains of an old shack, tumbled down, with an old brass bed, potbellied stove and a huge pile of bottles a few feet from the shack. Unfortunately, I no longer have access to it.

I have, though, come across stuff like this over the years. It's about a mile from the road.
IMG_1442.JPG

This headstone is for a brother and sister that were killed when their house burned down back in 1933. It's about a mile off the road now. In 1933 it was probably at least 5 miles from the nearest dirt road.
Frick Pond 3.jpg

Over the years I have found some strange things, from pot fields to squatter's camps, way back in the woods. One time I was about 3 miles off the road, following a trail to a mountain lake. When I got close to it I took a different trail, thinking I would come out on the other side of the lake. I found myself in front of a small shack, with clothes hanging on a line and a campfire burning. No one was there that I could see, the shack was empty, and I just felt real uncomfortable so I left. I never went back, but a few months later I heard there was some hermit living there that the troopers came and took away and had him put in a mental hospital,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts