Another cool range report with more accuracy bench testing!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by bac1023, Sep 12, 2015.

1. bac1023

bac1023

My last range report was posted on August 6th, so it has been over a month since I last shot. That’s way too long, unfortunately. I was originally supposed to shoot with Tom (Yuns), but the weather forecast made us push back until next Saturday at the last minute. I figured if I went early enough, I could get in a couple hours of solo shooting before the rain.

I decided to bring a few guns to bench test and a few guns just to shoot. The following was my selection for the day, after my usual last minute swap outs. :)

MAB PA-15
    MAB PAP F1
    HK P9S Sport
    CZ Tactical Sport
    Astra 600
    CZ 75 Kadet
    Les Baer SRP
    STI Trojan

[​IMG]

I brought my new PAP F1 to bench test and compare it to two proven and very accurate pistols in my collection in the Tactical Sport and P9S Sport. I also brought one of my most accurate 1911s in the Baer SRP with the 1.5“ guarantee for a comparison. The STI Trojan was more of a reference piece.

The standard PA-15 was brought along just to compare with the PAP. The Astra 600 was purchased recently and I wanted to shoot it. The CZ 75 Kadet is one of my favorite rimfires. Its just a blast to shoot. I didn’t bench test any of these last three, however. They were just along for the ride. :cool:

Starting with the Astra 600, I’ll say that its a very interesting and high quality pistol. Its 5.3" fixed barrel should give it considerable accuracy potential. Unfortuneatly the trigger is so horrific that the only way I’d be able to see it's potential would be from a ransom rest. The trigger is ridiculously heavy (especially after shooting these target pistols) and feels like its made of wood. I could easily feel and see the sights moving off target just trying to fire the thing. More so, the recoil pulse was unpleasant. The Astra 600 is a straight blowback design and behaved as such. The bore axis is extremely low, so there is zero muzzle flip. It just pounds the palm of my hand reminiscent of a Hungarian PA-63 or Polish P-64 in 9x18, so not a real pleasurable experience. Having said that, I bought it because of the build quality and interesting design, not because I was expecting a great shooter. Its a 70 year old Spanish military pistol, after all.

The CZ 75 Kadet is just a lot of fun and you may notice that it comes with me on range trips quite a bit. The ergonomics are superb and it fits my hand like a glove. Accuracy isn’t quite a match for some of my rimfire target pistols, but that doesn’t bother me much. I thoroughly enjoy shooting it.

The MAB PA-15 is an interesting pistol and I haven’t shot it in a long while. Accuracy seemed decent, but far less impressive than its target shooting derivative in the PAP. The trigger on my standard pistol is actually feels about a pound lighter than my target version, due to the fact that the previous owner removed the mag disconnect safety. The gun points well and shoots good, albeit it a little snappy. It also looks very stylish in the process. Yes, I’m a fan of these French handguns. :supergrin:

Now for the interesting stuff...

The MAB PAP F1 is a pistol I’ve been looking for forever. I finally picked one up last week and brought it to the range to bench test its accuracy. I wanted to see if its performance could match its intended purpose and cool, exotic looks. I must say that it did not fail to impress. The MAB pistols are of a delayed blowback design, but the snappiness of the standard PA-15 is somewhat subdued by the PAP’s heavier weight and longer slide. Its not as soft shooting as some of my other heavy 9mms, but I would not call the recoil unpleasant by any means. The trigger, while not quite as good as the CZ Tactical Sport or HK P9S Sport, is still pretty nice. It did nothing to inhibit the gun’s accuracy from a rest or off hand. The gun also felt extremely solid overall and build quality easily exceeds that of the CZ or HK. You’ll see by my groups below that it could be argued that the French pistol outperformed the others at 25 yards. I really enjoyed how the pistol handled and pointed. While I doubt I’ll shoot it much, its definitely a fine range pistol in my opinion and just a damn cool gun all around.

The CZ Tactical Sport is a very solid shooter. Its not quite a accurate as my CZ 75 Champion, but still one of my best shooting pistols overall. Its got a easy learning curve and is a gun that can be picked up and shot well by nearly anyone. The recoil is soft and the ergonomics are good.I’ve already reported extensively on this pistol, so no reason to rehash now. You can see by the groups how it performed.

The HK P9S Sport is the most accurate pistol that this company ever built, as far as I’m concerned. I removed the big wood target grips, because my style of shooting makes them more of a hinderance than anything else. I put on the standard plastic grips that the pistol also comes with and my shooting enjoyment went way up as a result. It doesn’t look as cool, but performs better for me. The P9S Sport is a SAO sporting version of the P9S. The trigger is amazingly good and it shoots lights out. The HK P9S Sport is also my favorite HK pistol. The overall build quality and quality of materials used are not a match for the PAP, but the internals are extremely solid. Its just a joy to shoot.

I brought the 1911s along as a point of reference. The Les Baer SRP has the 1.5“ at 50 yard accuracy guarantee, so in theory its one of my most accurate handguns. The STI Trojan is about the best $1000-$1200 1911 you can buy. Unfortunately, the weather turned for the worse before I got to shoot the 1911s 25 yards, but you’ll see their 35 foot groups.

Here are the groupings I was able to manage today:

MAB PAP F1

10 shots at 35 feet measuring 1.5“ (9-shot group into 1“)

[​IMG]

10 shots at 35 feet measuring 1.5“

[​IMG]

10 shots at 25 yards measuring 4“ (9-shot group into 2.5“)

[​IMG]

10 shots at 25 yards measuring 3“ (9-shot group into 2“)

[​IMG]

HK P9S Sport

10 shots at 35 feet measuring 1.75“ (9-shot group into 1.25“)

[​IMG]

10 shots at 35 feet measuring 1.75“ (9-shot group into 1“)

[​IMG]

10 shots at 25 yards measuring 3.25“

[​IMG]

10 shots at 25 yards measuring 3“

[​IMG]

CZ Tactical Sport

5 shots at 35 feet measuring 0.5“

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Les Baer SRP

10 shots at 35 feet measuring 1“

[​IMG]

STI Trojan

[​IMG]

As you can see, almost every group was 10 shots. I don’t do this to make myself look bad. I do it because I figure 10 shots would be the worst case scenario and the best judge of the pistol's accuracy. In some cases, I also gave the measurement with 9 shots if it was a case in which one flyer ruined an otherwise great grouping. It appears that the Les Baer had the best 35 foot group, but I only shot 10 rounds total through it and did not shoot it 25 yards, due to poor weather setting in. All shooting was done from a block rest. I would have preferred sand bags, but had to settle for what I had on hand. Sand bags are a bit more stable and generally yield the best results.

At any rate, I hope you enjoyed the report. I’m not going to pick a winner, but I will say that my new PAP F1 had shot the most impressive 25 yard group out of all the pistols I bench tested both today and last month:

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/so...-a-few-target-pistols-results-are-in.1590343/

In all fairness, my pistols from last month were limited to 5“ barrels. Today, the CZ and HK had 5.5“ barrels, while the PAP has a 5 7/8“ barrel. All in all though, I’m very impressed with my new pistol’s performance. I'm so thrilled to have finally added it to my collection.

Thanks for reading... :cool:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  2. lifesizepotato

lifesizepotato TatersGonnaTate

Really need to take my PAP out and figure out why I didn't get shooting results like that. Hopefully it's just an ammo thing; the bore looks mint.

3. bac1023

bac1023

I was shooting the 124 grain re-manufactured stuff. I usually shoot 115 grain, but they were out of stock.

I also hope you get more out of the PAP.

4. Maine

Maine

Nice shooting! That's certainly a fine pack of pistols. Glad to hear the final unicorn didn't let you down at all.

5. grecco

grecco

Very nice Brian!

6. Planetcat

Planetcat

Great shooting. For some reason, I'm attracted to the Astra pistols. I'm not a collector, but would probably pick one up if I ever see one in person. Sounds like a good day at the range.

7. bac1023

bac1023

It's an interesting, high quality pistol. There's no doubt about it. That's what drew me to it.

It's not especially fun to shoot, but if the trigger were a bit better, I think I could get some good accuracy out of it. As a pure shooter, the trigger ruins it for me. I think it's a cool gun though.

8. PzGren

PzGren

Brian,

I suspect you went to the range mostly to try the MAB and took the other guns along.
    I was playing with a .36 percussion muzzle loader pistol but the real purpose of my range trip yesterday was to check my .22 Hornet reloads for an Anschütz 1432.

9. bac1023

bac1023

Indeed Andy

The main function of the range trip was to shoot the MAB and test it against a couple other target pistols. I also wanted to shoot the Astra.

10. bac1023

bac1023

Thanks Tom

I try to diversify quite a bit when selecting pistols for a shoot.

Maine likes this.
  11. Maine

Maine

Well in this case diversity is a good thing. The CZ really got the job done.

12. bac1023

bac1023

Next Saturday I'm going to bring my CZ 75 Champion. It's actually even a little more accurate than the TS.

13. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

You need to throw in the 1st generation P210 along these target pistols and see how that service pistol would fare.

BTW, I love my Kadet kit. I wish that I had bought it as a whole gun instead of a kit.

Bruce M likes this.
  14. Ed1110

Ed1110

Good report Brian. I'm glad the PAP lived up to your expectation.

15. Maine

Maine

Nice! :thumbsup:

16. bac1023

bac1023

Yeah, I haven't tested any P210 yet. I'll bring one next Saturday, most likely one of the target models to start.

17. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Good shooting. :)
    Very nice selection of guns.

18. bac1023

bac1023

Thanks Ed, as am I :cool:

19. Yuns

Yuns

Great results and thanks for sharing. Sorry I couldn't make it yesterday but I will be there next week. To make fnfalman happy I'll bring my P210-5 along with my Korriphila and some other stuff.

20. bac1023

bac1023

It will be an awesome shoot, Tom. I will have the Korriphila, CZ 75 Champion, 952 Longslide, and a couple others.