Another cast bullet question

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by BK63, Mar 13, 2010.

1. BK63

BK63

So I'm looking online for some 45 acp cast and I see this bullet that is listed 45 acp below, but looks like in the picture it has a crimp ring. I see the exact same bullet picture on another site and it's listed as 45 LC. What am I looking at exactly and is this a loadable bullet in 45 acp? I know one day when I get a mold I won't have this problem anymore :supergrin:

452 Diameter
    .45 ACP
    200 Grain RNFP
    Brinell 18

2. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

For modern barrels there are many .45 moulds that can be used in both .45 acp and .45 Colt. (.45 Long Colt is a misnomer, the actual name is .45 Colt.)

Normally the mould with the crimping groove is used for the .45 Colt but if the weight is not excessive it can be used in .45 acp loading without a problem... you just don't use the crimping groove.

If you want you can use the crimping groove as an extra grease groove.

It should be noted that many older .45 Colt barrels were .454 diameter.

Hope this helps.

Jack

3. BK63

BK63

So if these bullets are ok in 45 acp I assume the bullet would be seated deep enough so this groove would be inside the casing?

4. blazed013

blazed013

I use a Hensley and Gibbs 68BB six cavity mold (200gr SWC) with a 26Bnh .... Shoots very nice in all my .45's

BTW .452 is .452

5. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Seat to just forward of the crimping groove then double check your AOL. Note that some of the .45 Colt bullets come in much heavier weights than can be used safely in acp loadings... I'd stay at the 230 grain level or below. Other than that one caveat you'll have no problems.

Good luck.

Jack

6. BK63

BK63

I don't go over 230 and prefer the 200 grain for target. All of the jacketed stuff is always smooth. This cast stuff has me on my toes though. If these are good for acp then I'll get some and try them. I got the Lone Wolf barrel and can't wait to start loading some cast for the G30.

7. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

BK..:

Other than being odd in a great many ways I'm also odd in that a G30 is the only Glock I own... just not a big fan of 'em.

My 200 grain SWC cast bullets wouldn't feed with the stock barrel so I got a LW barrel. Still wouldn't feed, sent it back for re-chambering... still wouldn't feed.

Had to order a 225 grain RN Lyman mould... feeds great but now I have to cast two style bullets for my .45's.

Some guys have reported that SWC feed fine in their G30's but they seem to be in the very small minority. If you're going to order SWC's you may want to start with a sample order just to make sure they're going to work for you.

Jack

8. BK63

BK63

I'm not ordering anything SWC and don't like any type of pointy type bullets for autos. I only shoot round nose type stuff in autos because I've seen too many jams. That pic I posted is a round nose flat point. The jacketed Montana Gold I've shot several thousand out of my G30 have worked flawlessly and they look just like that pic only jacketed. Thats why I like them. I carry the G30 with Winchester 230 grain personal protection ammo which is a round nose hollow point and I've shot lots of those and they work flawlessly. I hear ya, I don't like SWC stuff either.

9. Webley Green

Webley Green

I have a G21 with Lone Wolf barrel for lead shooting. That 200 G Round Nose Flat Point is what I use, feeds smoothly and is a fine shooting round over 6 grains of Unique. A Lee Factory Taper Crimp die really smooths everything out, I highly recommend getting one if plan on shooting lead.

10. BK63

BK63

Perfect. The only other question is what is your OAL? Thanks for the info.

11. G36_Me

G36_Me

Agree. for all my 45 Auto reloads, especially cast lead, I use the 3rd die (the seat/crimp die) mostly for seating and taking the bell out. I apply just enough crimp to almost get the job done. I then run the round through a Lee Factory Crimp die to finish the job. Almost none of my rounds (95%) will gage after third die; they all gage after the LFCD.

I went to this method after I found I was 'shaving' a bit of jacket on my Rainier Plated bullets. This method makes for a perfect round with Rainier. So, I just apply it now to all my bullets. This allows me to only have to adjust the seating plug for the specific bullet and not have to adjust the 'big ring' all the time.

12. tjpet

tjpet

The Lee LFCD is used to clean up sloppy reloads in my book. After seating bullets for a conventional semi-auto all that's needed is a quick trip through a properly adjusted taper crimp die. In fact a standard seat/crimp die will work nicely, too, if you don't over do it.

All this malarky about just barely removing the bell from a case is just that - malarky. The bell has to be removed and a slight crimp applied for reliable, smooth feeding. Headspace is still maintained and the gun runs that much better.

BTW, that 200grn. RNFP bullet works great in a G30. Mine won't feed SWCs, either, so I usually go to a Berry's RN design. Most (99.9%) of my .45ACP shooting is with a 1911 of some sort and they all feed 200grn. SWCs without problem. The local casting outfit sells them for $48/M so life is good.

13. BK63

BK63

I seat and then do a taper crimp in the 4th die position. That has always given me 100% functionality in all my loads.

14. fredj338

fredj338

I have to agree. Makes one wonder; Lee makes mediocre dies & then makes a die to "Fix" a problem w/ the ammo that comes out of their dies? I don't know, I load for a lot of calibers, all of the semiautos but 45gap & never used a LFCD other than to evaluate one for a friend. They may work fine w/ jacketed bullets but are death for accuracy w/ lead & plated if used incorrectly. Bell the cae mouth enough to accept the lead or plated bullet & finish w/ an appropriate taper crimp. DOne, 100% reliable ammo.:dunno:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  15. idahoglock36

idahoglock36

BK63,

I have been using many of the bullets in your picture. Get a box or two before you buy the mold and see how you like them . Those bullets like it a little on the hot side. They do have the Cowboy #4 brinell 12 if you want to push them slower. I use them in a G21 with factory barrel. Just got the load where I like them with minimal leading thanks to Unique (don't tell anyone :whistling, Especially Jack). Seat to the crimp grove then taper crimp you'll be happy. Then if you still have lots or energy and time get the molds and make your own. Fantastic bullet. They also make one in 250 grain which is just a hoot with WSF. Grab a box of those two to cut down on shipping, you won't shoot the 250's all the time just when you want to put the smack down.

I won't even get into the LFCD thing I use it sometimes but not with lead....although I have thought about it when fighting a leading issue...that is another discussion for another time.

Try the bullets in your picture, I'd be surprised if you didn't like them.

16. BK63

BK63

I have some on order hope they come this week. And by the way I use Unique all the time. :supergrin:

17. idahoglock36

idahoglock36

FWIW I settled on 5.8 of Unique. Let us know how it goes!

18. Beware Owner

Beware Owner NOT a victim.

For the 200gr RNFP? I had loaded some to test in my G30.

19. idahoglock36

idahoglock36

Yep, 5.8 Unique on the 200-RNFP. I finally got it to shoot really accurate and little leading. I usually prefer WST but couldn't get the leading down on either end of load or in-between. Tried the old Unique and it did the trick. Don't know if the leading went away because of the higher velocity or the hotter powder making a better seal...All I know is I'm really happy with the 200-RNFP now, using G21 factory barrel.