close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Another camera recommendation thread

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by HushH, Mar 20, 2007.

1. HushH

HushH

Hi everyone,

So here’s the deal. We currently have a Kodak DX6490 that we bought about 3 years ago. The camera takes decent pictures outdoors with plenty of light. But other than that the pictures often come out blurry. It often seems to focus on background objects rather than what we’re shooting. It also has a 10x optical zoom, which we really liked the idea of when we bought it, but there’s no image stabilization so it’s useless without a tripod. What I miss the most is the ability to manual focus.

We’d like to get a new digicam that has at least some basic manual controls including a manual focus. We’re mostly shooting family pictures, but we would also like to take action pictures at our kids sporting events. I also attend auto races frequently and would like to be able to get some good in-motion shots there. Size is not a big factor, but the lighter the better.

Given all this, I’m leaning toward a Canon Digital Rebel XT. It may be a little more advanced than we currently need, but it certainly seems to be a camera that would grow with us if we wanted to take it further. It’s also at about the top of our price range considering we’d want to be able to buy a couple good lenses for it as well.

So does this sound like a decent choice? Any other digital SLRs we should consider? Or maybe any point-and-shoots that would suffice given our needs?

Thanks in advance.

2. Dyerbill

Dyerbill

3. Ranger Grant

Ranger Grant

Hi,

I just bought my first digital camera a little over a week ago. It is a Canon PowerShot S3IS. Six megapixels, 12X optical zoom with image stabilization, etc. It sounds like it might be what your looking for, unless you want a true SLR.

I shot pictures at a small train museum, and then a retirement party later that night. So far I'm very happy with the camera. I'm still learning how to use all the functions, and it has more than I'll probably ever use. I can see my old film cameras gathering dust.

best, RG

4. krinkov

krinkov Shutter Maniac

The XT is a good choice. It shoots fast enough and takes just about any lens in the Canon line-up. There's hardly anything it can't do unless you're a TIME photog in-country and under fire. If you can afford to cough up a little more cash, you can get the 30D if you want something to "grow with" as I think you're like me who goes for a one-time investment on something that'll last me a few good years. On the other end, there's the Nikon D80 or the 2nd tier, D200 that's built like a humvee(the D2X is built like a tank!). These models from both brands perform well and maybe even better considering what you'll use them for. I would strongly recommed you get dedicated lenses though for either brand as this will ultimately determine the kind of images you'll get. There's simply no point in spending good money on a high-end DSLR and scrimping on lenses. There's no other way around it. It would be much better to get a consumer model DSLR and spend extra cash on dedicated lenses than to get a top-of-the-line model and aftermarket lenses. And while we're on the subject of lenses, forget about getting filters--not even the UV. Filters are not made to the same standards as your lenses. You'll just ruin the shot! If you want to protect the front element of the lens, get the dedicated lens hoods for your lenses.