Another ATV Question Honda Rancher 420FE

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Brigrat, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Brigrat

Brigrat

in the spirit of ATV questions like this one https://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1181530 I have one too...I have a 2008 Honda Rancher 420FE that just hit 20 hours. The manual says to take it in to the shop for an oil change and for them to check the valves.

I called, and was told that a valve adjustment and oil change would run nearly $400! The tech told me that if the valves really need to be adjusted I would hear that they were off. I don't hear any clicking or anything so I assume they can wait (the tech said he does his at 200 hours unless they sound bad).

Where can I find instructions on changing the oil? Where can I get a filter? If I do it myself how do I reset the oil change warning signal?

Do any of you have any sites or references that can help me out? I am not very mechanically inclined; but I have managed to do all of the maintenance on my John Deere X300 without any help.

Also, are there any other things I need to check while I am at it?

Your help is always appreciated.

2. a_tack

a_tack

the owners manual should have info on resetting the signal and changing the oil. You can get filters and oil online or at atv shops. Just goole ATV accessories and most sites will carry filters and oil.

3. Brigrat

Brigrat

The nearest ATV shop is 120 miles from my house, are there any online dealers that you would recommend?

4. actruck

actruck

Not sure about Honda but when I bought my Kawasaki Prairie 650, I was told if I didn’t have that first service completed by a dealer and something happened to the engine the warranty probably wouldn’t cover it. You may want to check on this. $400.00 is a small price to pay to avoid thousands of dollars in repairs later. I wasn’t about to take the chance especially when I purchased the extended warranty on it.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  5. ranger56528

ranger56528

Another reason I own Polaris's not that there is anything wrong with the other ATV's Iam just a diehard Polaris fan when it comes to ATV's....Gas and go then change oil every 40 hours or so.........

Something about haveing to have Valve Lash adjusted just dosnt sit right with me,but thats a Honda deal I guess,guys with Gold Wings have to do the same thing(not sure about newer GW's)....

6. Brigrat

Brigrat

???...