close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Another Accidental death with a Glock 40.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jimb0, Mar 1, 2010.

1. hatidua

hatidua

2. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

3. mixflip

mixflip

click on it and read it.

It says a little boy accidentally shoots his little brother in the head when they both find their dads gun (which he had a CCW permit for) left in the center console of the truck. The dad had sent them down to get something left in the truck and completely forgot that he took off his CCW gun to drive more comfortably.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  4. jimb0

jimb0

DEERFIELD BEACH - Minutes after Randy Reddick Jr. sent his two young sons to his truck to get the coat and hat he left on the front seat, one of the brothers ran back into the house screaming.

"I shot my brother! I shot my brother!" the 10-year-old cried Saturday afternoon. "I didn't mean to do it."

Reddick, 31, said he raced down the stairs from his third-floor apartment to find his oldest son and namesake on the ground next to the black Dodge pickup.

Randy Reddick III, 11, had the coat in his hand. Beside him was the wide-brim hat, full of blood, as if he had been wearing it, his father said.

In the truck was a 40-caliber Glock pistol that Reddick had inadvertently left in the vehicle's console. The boy had been shot in the face.

"I knelt down to see if there was life. There wasn't," Reddick said Sunday, standing outside his apartment in the 700 block of Northeast 41st Street. He stared teary-eyed at his truck and his child's bloodstain in the parking space beside it.

"So I kissed him, covered him up with the coat, and began to pray."

Keyla Concepcion, a spokeswoman for the Broward Sheriff's Office, said the shooting appears accidental. The case will be referred to prosecutors for review, she said.

Reddick has a concealed weapon permit for the gun, police said.

Usually, Reddick said, he carries the weapon in a holster under his shirt. But he had taken the holster and gun off and put it into the truck console when he stopped at the Oakland Park post office to pick up his mail. Firearms are prohibited on federal property.

For the boys, both students at Tedder Elementary School in Pompano Beach, the day began as usual, Reddick said. Randy, a fifth-grader, and his brother, in third grade, did morning chores, then played with video games and their remote-controlled cars.

"They were close. They were brothers," Reddick said.

The Sun Sentinel is not naming the younger brother because of his age.

Reddick then marched with his Freemasons fraternity in the annual Sistrunk Historical Festival in Fort Lauderdale. The hat and coat he left in the truck were part of his parade costume.

At home, he left the gun in the unlocked console. And there it stayed until the boys found it.

Deerfield Beach Fire-Rescue pronounced the boy dead at the scene around 3:30 p.m.

Reddick said he heard news reports late Saturday that suggested he was careless with the weapon.

"I'm far from careless," he said. "It was an accident."

A mental health technician at Imperial Point Medical Center, Reddick said he would seek counseling for his son if necessary. "I don't think he realizes yet what went on," said Reddick.

Reddick identified the boys' mother as Latavia Green, of Fort Lauderdale. She could not be reached Sunday.

Other survivors include a sister, Desiree, 14, and Reddick's girlfriend Carol Smith, who has helped raise the children.

The incident marks the second fatal accidental shooting in Broward County in a week. On Monday in Pompano Beach, Tiffany Littlepage, 21, was fatally wounded by a gunshot fired by a friend sitting in the back seat of the car she was driving, according to the Sheriff's Office.

Carlos Martin, 26, of Plantation, was charged with manslaughter.

5. JBnTX

JBnTX Bible Believer

No! The post should state what the story is, with the source as
    a back up in case someone wants MORE information.

That's a tragic story but that's what happens when irresponsible gun
    owners leave guns unattended where children have access to them.

6. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Damn, that sucks.

7. grendelprime

grendelprime

deleted

8. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Very sad story. Another reminder for those with kids to keep your firearms secure and give them gun safety lessons starting at age 5 even if its with a airsoft gun.

9. quadraceryfz450

quadraceryfz450

10. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

Another black eye for firearm owners and ammo the Antis can use against us.

11. plasticpistol

plasticpistol

12. Graves

Graves Diesel Junky

That poor child has to live with that for the rest of his life....

13. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

WTF!?!?! This is a sad accident that should never of happened. And I see several things that the father did wrong that led to it.

1. It's readily apparent he didn't educate his sons on the dangers of firearms. Otherwise they wouldn't have been playing with it and would have done like my child and immediately gotten an adult.

2. He "forgot" a firearm? I'm sorry but I know where my weapons are at all times and unlocked in my vehicle is one place they never are! Especially having a child and being around children!!

3. How long was it in the truck console?

Bottom line is his sons paid for his ignorance and carelessness.

14. Spence

Spence

Terrible way to start a day, reading this. That poor little baby boy is gone and it was preventable.

15. TnGlocker12

TnGlocker12

How sad, sad, sad. I can't imagine.

16. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

All this because he couldn't check his mail with his weapon on him.

17. 81jasonG23

81jasonG23 Wheres the beef

there is never going to be a shortage of storys that the antis can use against us. Given by permit holders or the millions of people who have guns illegally. I feel for the guy.

None of us are perfect and remember to lock it up every time. I have a 1 year old who learned how to climb on counters by pushing chairs around. Am I irresponsible for keeping it in the top cabinet? (Which I don't do anymore) Do you always lock your glove box? When you are in a hurry it is possible to forget or get side tracked. Cut the man some slack. It could happen to any of us with kids. They know more and can do more than we give them credit for.

Think about the man and his kid and lighten up. No one is going to take away your guns...yet.

18. hill billy

hill billy Head Case

Scares the hell out of me thinking of kissing my boys for the last time but so damn preventable. How sad.

19. DYLANB80

DYLANB80

Made me phycially ill reading that report. So sad.