Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, sorry for beating this dead horse! I know there are several topics on .223 loads, but I can't seem to find the answer to my question searching, and I am new to reloading rifle rounds and don't want to screw up my face or my AR15!

Since I am just trying to reload some plinking rounds right now and not super worried about accuracy, I thought I would start with some 55 grain bullets, and based on recommendations from this forum bought a pound of H335 powder and CCI small rifle primers.

The bullets I bought were Winchester FMJBT 55 grain. The only load data my Lyman manual has for a 55 grain bullet is for a jacketed spitzer, which is 24.3 grains starting load and 27 grains maximum with an OAL of 2.260. Hodgdon web site does not show anything for a FMJBT bullet. Since I am so new to rifle reloading, I don't really know what a spitzer bullet style is.

My question is, would it be safe to follow the Lyman load for a spitzer bullet even though I am using a FMJBT bullet? Please don't belittle me for not knowing all of these bullet types! Like I said, I am just starting out reloading rifle rounds, but have been reloading 9mm and .45 ACP for about 4 years now.

Thanks in advance for any information you knowledgeable fellows can provide!

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
The 55gr FMJBT and 55gr Spire SP bullets are so close I interchange data between the two. The 55gr bullets I use primarily are the Hornady 55gr FMJBT and 55gr spire soft point at a COAL of 2.210" and both get the same charge of powder. I usually use Varget.

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
I've loaded plenty of 55 gr fmjbt bullets of different makes. Charges in the high 24 grains up to 25.0 grains of H335 has been very reliable in function and respectable groups. I seat to the cannelure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts