Another “Help with next purchase thread”

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by dubsy, Aug 16, 2019.

1. dubsy

dubsy

Being more than a little worried about another AWB I’ve been rounding out my arsenal. I feel good about my ammo supply and I have the hand guns and magazines I want but as far as long guns I only have one semi automatic and it is 5.56. I’m good on mags for it as well. I want to add a heavier caliber semi rifle and a PC carbine. But I feel like I’m running out of time to put together the cash for both. I’m not really trying to be a “prepper” I just want to get what I want to shoot before it becomes too illegal or too expensive. I would love to be able to ride out shortages and price hikes. I’d really enjoy seeing the thought process others might apply to my situation. Tell me if my thinking is flawed.

2. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Take a look at the the Ruger PCC. If you have a Glock in the same caliber you can share mags and ammo. I went with an M1A for a semi-auto .308 but I'm guessing more people will suggest an AR10 to match your criteria.

FullClip likes this.

3. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

I vote for the .308 AR platform for a larger caliber. The M1A is nice (I have one), but it may be better for you to have weapon platforms that are the same. I am not in on the PC carbine thing. That is what a sidearm covers. Of the 45 AR-15s I have, my SHTF AR is a M4A1 SOPMOD Block II and my sidearm is a Beretta 92FS in a Blackhawk SERPA leg rig. I also have a KAC SR-25 (w/ a factory Mk11 Mod 0 conversion) for long distance engagements.

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Buy a cheap AR10 type.

jimcorbin likes this.
  5. G19Cfan

G19Cfan

The Ruger PCC is a good one. If you want to stick to an AR platform, then look at Freedom's FX-9.

6. dubsy

dubsy

Any thoughts on the 7.62 x 39 or .300 blk platforms?

7. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

well, 7.62x39 like magazines designed for tapered cartridges. Also need a bolt that works with it.

300blk is "drop in". But be careful. Shoving a 300blk in 223 can cause damage.

8. Samuel_Hoggson

Samuel_Hoggson

If anticipating not being able to acquire firearms, you are also anticipating not being able to acquire spare parts, magazines, and ammunition (includes all components). Given that pretense, no logic in going cheap. Quite the opposite, buy the best above-mentioned stuff you can. Even if it hurts.

"Best" does not necessarily mean most expensive. You can pay for an additional 1/4 MOA capability, only to discover less money spent for greater reliability would have served better.

If you just want more of something you already have, sure, buy whatever.

9. 0311INF

0311INF

I'd suggest an AK if you're interested in 7.62x39. The chamber and meaty extractor are designed for steel cased ammo, which can be stocked deep.
    A solid foreign made rifle will likely never need replacement parts, but those can be had for cheap too.
    As for a battle rifle, too expensive for what you're getting IMO. I'd say a SCAR 17 if you can afford it.