'Anonymous' Hacks Chicago Police Radios; Play NWA's "F**k The Police" During Riots

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by wreckless, Jun 1, 2020.

1. wreckless

wreckless

'Anonymous' Hacks Chicago Police Radios; Play NWA's "F**k The Police" During Riots

Authored by Elias Marat via TheMindUnleashed.com,

With cities across the United States facing raging unrest in the aftermath of the killing of George Floyd by the Minneapolis Police Department, law enforcement agencies have had their hands full trying to control the massive backlash on all fronts.

And now, things may have gotten much more complicated after the long-dormant hacktivist group Anonymous has made a sudden reappearance to support those who are fighting against police across the country.

On Saturday night as major cities like Los Angeles, New York, Minneapolis and Chicago were awash in battles between police and civilians, the hacker collective made its first set of moves to kick off its return to the scene.

One of the first actions the group took was hijacking the police radio scanners belonging to the Chicago PD and using it to play NWA’s 1988 hip-hop classic “**** Tha Police,” the protest song against police harassment and brutality that became the unofficial anthem of the Los Angeles Uprising of 1992.

While the group controlled Chicago police scanners, they also played polka music – a fitting choice considering that the Windy City is the unofficial U.S. capital of the European musical genre.

The Minneapolis Police Department’s website was also disabled along with the parent City of Minneapolis site, according to a number of user reports.

By early Sunday, visitors to the site continued to notice issues, including being forced to enter “captchas” proving they weren’t bots in the front-end interface hosted by security firm Cloudflare – a common sign that the sites were facing distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks meant to disable the site by flooding it with traffic, Variety reports.

The disruptions to Chicago PD scanners and Minneapolis municipal sites came right after social media accounts claiming to be affiliated with Anonymous released a video on May 28 putting Minneapolis PD on notice that the group “will be exposing your many crimes to the world,” adding that last Monday’s “brutal killing of George Floyd… is merely the tip of the iceberg in a long list of high-profile cases of wrongful death at the hands of officers in your state.”

https://www.zerohedge.com/technolog...olice-radios-play-nwas-fk-police-during-riots

2. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

How hard would it be for agencies to have secure digital encryption? I know the 400 pound scanner nerds get upset about it, but this is the perfect illustration of the need for secure comms.

evlbruce, fastbolt, CAcop and 5 others like this.

3. bikerdog

bikerdog

That’s a whole different issue. We have encryption and its a nightmare. I work for the county and have 6 other local agencies in my jurisdiction and I can only talk to one of them. And less than half of them can hear me on there in car scanners. Day to day it’s a major officer safety thing for us. I’d go back to un encrypted radios in a heart beat.

fla2760 and Lockback like this.
  4. CAcop

CAcop

At least it keeps management off the radio.

steveksux, GPalmer, spork and 2 others like this.
  5. anjroid86

anjroid86

6. chillaxing

chillaxing

Lmao. Fuqin great shiet.

Dont call it come back, cuz I was never gone.

7. spork

spork Caffeinator

I was going to talk about the danger of interfering with the ability of the police to respond to the needs of the citizens, but then I realized that the real crime was playing rap songs on an endless repeat.

8. Pete perfection

Pete perfection

9. blueiron

blueiron

In the days of analog 25 kHz wide channel spacing, with VHF simplex traffic, and DVP encryption... it worked okay.

In the current era of P-25, narrow banding, trunking with multiple talkgroups, AES-256 encryption, and 700 to 800 MHz frequencies; one tiny bit of frequency drift, digital signals that are either 100% there or gone, slightly out of phase trunking... you'll get nothing.

It may upset the 400 pound scanner nerds, but the 400 pound communications engineers love overly complex systems that seemingly are designed to be as robust as a DIY tin shed in a hurricane. It makes Motorola Systems a ton of cash every time a city buys a one system advertised to work for everyone from FD, PD, waste water, transit, to the library. The security guard at the branch library may not need 100% comms, but the firefighter on the fireground and the cop on an inner perimeter both do.

Four digital systems in use now and few engineers want to settle on a national standard for comms. DStar, NXDN/IDAS, P25, and DMR.

Ohio Cop likes this.
  10. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Ugh. So it’s never going to happen.

11. Joebiker

Joebiker

I was a dispatcher when my state adopted their current p25 money pit. what a joke but rather admit their mistake they have continued to throw money at it. Glad I am retired.

12. furetto7

furetto7 Galloglaich

Because we are old fashioned and set in our ways here in the hinterlands of Kansas when the state went to 800mhz digital encrypted radios we went along as the radios were free, but we kept all of our old analog high band VHF radios. The 800mhz is great when it works because I can be on the other side of the state and still talk to my dispatch, we have to scan to hear KHP, nearby agencies and even our own fire and EMS as we are the only ones in the county who are encrypted.

If someone tried to jam or interfere with the 800mhz radios we just go back to the old school VHFs.

13. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 "Cynical Little me"

I heard them on the scanner that night. There were choice comments towards the mayor, the governor, the new guy from Dallas, and their total lack of a plan. Days off weren't canceled, cars were pulled from Districts without riot gear, no K9, tear gas, or water were deployed, even while the cops were getting their butts kicked. But a radio number pops up whenever its keyed so guys generally dont talk unprofessional on the radio and certainly dont help rioters by locking them up like this. I could tell it wasn't coppers doing this.

The entire thing was the worst deployment Ive ever seen or heard. Far worse then the '92 Bulls win at home, "they handed me a helmet without a face plate for that one". So I can tell the difference between coppers on the radio and this. At first I thought it was our own radios stripped from coppers after they got abandoned and beat down but I guess its no great technical feat to make your own transmitter. Its not like the channels are secret.

But I never heard it like this before. I once ran an exercise in the service where I totally defeated a MP response to a terrorist incident simply by keying the radio. Had it been real I could have destroyed anything on that base while the responder's ran around like headless chickens by the simply fact they couldn't communicate. I was never allowed to run it again because the services hate exercises that aren't set up to win.

Ive never spoken about it since or posted about it on the Internet cause I figured why give anyone the idea. But the horse has already bolted. Even with the digital systems while you can't step on the dispatchers transmissions you can the field transmissions and it isn't the dispatchers in the streets calling for help. This caused a lot of problems last weekend, the domestic terrorists have gotten smarter.

14. wreckless

wreckless

Tomcat, your post reminded me of a SWAT training exercise where my buddy and I were assigned as the Opfor. My friend was a ham radio guy and he used a military surplus radio transmitter to jam the command post. It was utter chaos. In the end the Commander chewed us out for “unrealistic antics” and we responded that everything used to create the jam fest was bought the week before at an open hamfest meeting in the county. They never did address that potentially devastating tactic either.

15. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 "Cynical Little me"

Yeah I did it back in '80 when I was in. When I joined the Dept. the old system was so easy to hack I'm surprised nobody had the brains to do it, any field radio could step on any transmission and pretty much there are only two channels an in progress would go out on, a local zone and a city wide. Even still you can step on field radios.

Dispatch will instruct everyone to go to a different citywide but a lot of guys wont hear or wont know which channel. Its still chaos.

First time Ive ever spoken about it in public. Ive referred to freezing entire responses with a simple trick but would never post how. I dont even speak about what was on what AirBase 40+ years ago. But with the radios the horse has kicked down the barn door in this riot and if you ever needed any proof that trained terrorists are involved in these urban insurrections you now have it.

The way the thing unfolded its pretty obvious elements had fairly sophisticated training. We've already had street gangs train in Libya in years past and International ANTIFA is getting training somewhere, I suspect elements of BLM are too as did the B-Panthers. No doubt they will follow the example of the Black Panthers, preaching a righteous cause to de-Police their neighborhoods to enhance their drug dealing.