GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Ritchie ankle holster ( derivative of the now out of business Alessi) my original Alessi is about 40 years old now, and still is perfectly serviceable.

·
Premium Member
4,557 Posts
I carry a P365 in a desantis die hard ankle holster with calf strap every day at work. It’s a comfortable secure holster. While I have got used to it, I have considered something a little lighter. It’s just really tough to give up 11rds of 9mm as a back up gun.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I also carry a BUG on my ankle (P365) at work in an old Galco COP series holster. I've been eyeing the Alien Gear ankle holster with the strut and molded holster. Looks very secure and is supposed to not move around.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,492 Posts
Ankle carry is the last possible choice for me. Adding a pound of weight to one ankle alters your gate enough to be annoying. It's ridiculously hard to get to quickly or at all in some circumstances.
If you want to carry a tiny gun, pocket carry is the best choice I've found.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Many years ago I came across a S&W 60 stainless that I bought and then had a trigger job and bob the hammer.

It was my first venture into CC and also with a ankle holster and it worked......for a while. I had a client in a spooky part of another town and would always remember to wear it when working there if not all the time. I wore a shirt and tie for business and with business slacks it was a challenge to keep it hidden. I didn't have to run or climb tall buildings with it as my work was a desk job.

I abandoned the ankle holster and the 60 more for the capacity of the 60 than the discomfort from the ankle holster but have never used one again. I had a buddy who is a former LEO give me a premium leather ankle holster that he used, which name I don't remember, and I accepted it out of courtesy rather than out of need.

I have never liked IWB carry until I bought a P365 put it in a appendix carry kydex holster and away we go. That combo solved the round count problem of the 60 and the ankle carry situation.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Try a Smart Carry or ThunderWear holster. It’s not ankle carry but it’s very concealed and your gun won’t fall out moving around.

·
Private side
11,407 Posts
Uncle Mike’s nylon. Every day of patrol in an ankle holster. Some sort of J-frame, hammer or hammer less... never a problem, never fell out.
Easier to get than pocket carry in uniform pants and when seated.
Normally, I’d put the gun in the holster and put above my low top boots with grip angled under the calf.

·
Registered
14,497 Posts
I have carried an ankle gun daily for the past sixteen years.

I have never worked a shift without my backup gun in place, and for many years of my career I carried an ankle gun off duty. Often as a backup gun, but sometimes as a discreet primary as well.

I did a few years as a bicycle officer and I carried my backup on my vest during that time.

I have been in numerous foot pursuits and fights and the gun has never come unbuttoned.

I have used an Uncle Mikes ankle holster for the majority of the time, and find it to be the best out there. Even better than significantly more expensive holsters I have tried.

I have carried both a 442 and a baby Glock throughout the years. Currently carrying a G26 as a backup, but most of my career it was the 442.

I guess you get used to it and it has always worked well for me.

·
Just lack finishing up
3,659 Posts
I tried ankle carry briefly. Went to Sunday school wearing it. Tables were set up in square with everyone facing the center. I set down, out my legs out, and saw that the rig was visible to everyone in the room.

No more ankle carry.

·
Patrol Corporal
959 Posts
A long time ago, when I was a rookie, I carried a Glock 27 in an ankle rig.

I used a Galco rig that had a leather holster with a Velcro attached neoprene cuff with a lamb skin liner. It was fairly comfortable and pretty secure. I was in more than a few foot pursuits and it never came loose. I ran/fell down a 14’ embankment chasing a guy. About half of the OEM plastic rear sight was ground off but neither the gun nor the holster came off my leg.

But, it’s a game for the young. I can’t imagine running that rig now. The most I have carried lately is my NAA mini-revolver. Not bad.

Whatever you do, do not skimp on an ankle holster. Get the best money can buy. You will be miserable if you don’t. Go as light on the gun as you can too.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I may use a nylon ankle holster with a stainless j frame.

Right hand do holster on the left ankle.
I use exposed ankle leather shoes.

With the j frame holstered align over the sock use the shoe to support some weight by resting just below the holster.
Snug up and tighten. Do not rely in holding up on the shin. Because the weight of the j frame will cause it to slide down.

Wear to let it wiggle in position then snug again. Eventually get the right fit with one or two slight adjustments.

Really intended for use while driving not to walk around all day. Yet I have used like this on all day trips etc with a lot of walking.

·
Registered
76,167 Posts
My main carry is a S&W BG .380, as I have posted many, many times here. I have about a dozen ankle carry holsters, all secure the handgun well, all stay where they are put (for the most part, all of them sag over the course of the day). Almost all have a kydex sheath, and a nylon streatchy leg band, some with a knee band and straps, some without.

This gun, with 7 rounds of .380 round nosed ammo, on my scale weighs in at 14.8 ounces. A scandium framed revolver might weigh in an ounce lighter, maybe, but doubt it is enough to make any significant difference.

I do a lot of walking, climb a lot of fences, and wear 12" work boots, nothing to date will give me any security. I wore a Galco holster (best to date) for a month, and at the end of the month still was constantly aware of every shift, and was constantly checking behind me to see if I had just shucked it out and dropped it.

My final conclusion was, ankle carry is just not for me.

I read about guys chasing people for blocks, losing their main carry, and winning the day with an ankle carry, suspect this is total fiction written by people whom have never once carried a gun ankle carry a single day in their lives.

We have lots of LEO, lots of vets, lots of experienced personnel, anyone want to enlighten me about how to do ankle carry correctly?
I use pocket carry almost exclusively. I'd get a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster.
With PC, you can have your hand on your weapon as you pump gas, walk across a parking lot, or walk into a Stop'n'Rob. In cold weather, the pistol can be carried in a parka pocket, while a IWB will be covered by the parka. Ankle carry is too slow and uncomfortable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Desantis-N...W-Bodyguard-380-Nylon-N38BJU7Z0-/383288797249

·
On the day of your birth death began stalking you
9,482 Posts
I had a buddy give me a ankle holster to try so that he could see what I thought about it. I didn't wear it even a single evening. It wasn't for me at all.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
...I do a lot of walking, climb a lot of fences, and wear 12" work boots, nothing to date will give me any security. I wore a Galco holster (best to date) for a month, and at the end of the month still was constantly aware of every shift, and was constantly checking behind me to see if I had just shucked it out and dropped it...
I've never tried it, but have you ever considered the thumb-break ankle holster, made by Gould & Goodrich, that is designed to lace in place outside your boot?

https://www.copsplus.com/gould-and-goodrich-bootlock-ankle-holster-model-716

·
Registered
16,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
21 - 37 of 37 Posts