GlockTalk Forum banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
15,190 Posts
My girlfriend's sister invited us to a calf fry at their ranch in Texas. I thought it would be something like veal. Nope. Calf nuts.
They talked me into trying one. Tasted like liver to me and I hate liver.
Afterwords did you feel a sudden urge to move to San Francisco?

·
Registered
30,271 Posts
I've never tried groundhog and probably never will. But my Pastor says they taste great.

I had an uncle who used to eat Opossum. But after finding one in the belly of a dead cow, I'd never try one. Same uncle also ate Raccoon, not me.
Found this sign just outside Burgaw in Pender county NC.
E49C2BC8-0590-4FCD-89EC-9DA6F50280D5.jpeg

·
Registered
15,190 Posts
A bar napkin Ph.D in angus.....

1. The breed came from Scotland.
2. Angus beef tends to marble especially well.
3. The breed calves really well....with generally low birth weights, sturdy calves, and the calves grow really well.
4. Angus cows are great mothers.
4b. Angus bulls are less crazy than other bulls.
5. No horns.
6. Maybe best of all they are naturally calm - for cattle.
7. I can't remember which one - but there is a bovine disease that angus nearly never get.
8. They don't need a lot of supplementary feed.

·
Registered
397 Posts
“Waygu” here in the states is a total scam. It’s got nothing to do with ACTUAL Waygu beef.

Real Waygu is DEFINITELY not getting ground up into commonly available hamburger.
And grinding wagyu defeats the purpose. You'd just wind up with 50% hamburger meat.

There's no need to get hung up on "waygu." It's just a trademark they use when they sell to the Americans, because they understand American psychology. Japanese people don't actually say "Let's eat wagyu" among themselves; they say "Let's eat beef."

When they go shopping, Americans need a "name" to hang their hats on, because most Americans have wives who can't cook and are unable to evaluate raw food. I bet that's not the case with all the GlockTalk members, so here is a tip: ask your wife to try out the local Korean grocery.

Here is some typical no-name beef from a Korean grocery -- you won't do much better than this:

·
Registered
397 Posts
A bar napkin Ph.D in angus.....

1. The breed came from Scotland.
2. Angus beef tends to marble especially well.
3. The breed calves really well....with generally low birth weights, sturdy calves, and the calves grow really well.
4. Angus cows are great mothers.
4b. Angus bulls are less crazy than other bulls.
5. No horns.
6. Maybe best of all they are naturally calm - for cattle.
7. I can't remember which one - but there is a bovine disease that angus nearly never get.
8. They don't need a lot of supplementary feed.
And this my friends, is the difference between offering knowledge versus offering opinions. Good job.

·
Sarcasm Inc.
15,085 Posts
And what is up with the Long Horn Colby cheese they used to sell?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Back in the 1980’s, it was common for us the breed Hereford cows with angus bulls.

They yielded well, graded well, they gained well, and the calves were sturdy enough to make it through early springs here in Iowa.

If you really want to taste the difference in beef, look for prime beef. Most grocery stores sell choice, and there really can be quite a difference.

This should go without saying, but the cut is obviously the biggest influence. If you want to taste the very best, spring for a prime tenderloin, or loin eye.

If you cook it properly, (hot and fast to the rarer side of medium) nothing can compare. Add a pat of herb or garlic butter, and you’re in heaven.
This is what I was trying to say. It's not about the "name' of the beef, it's about the grade of the beef. The Japanese said to themselves, "We must give high-grade beef a name if we want to sell it to the Americans -- otherwise, they won't know what they are looking at."

Sorry to bag on Americans. I am American. But all of my American ex girlfriends have been useless in the kitchen and the grocery store, so I gave up on this place. My wife is Mexican and says things such as, "Why would you buy chicken dead when it's only 50 cents a pound more for live chicken?"

·
Registered
397 Posts
And what is up with the Long Horn Colby cheese they used to sell?
Someone told me that that stuff originated in a dairy association or university program that was aimed at developing the cheapest method to increase the market value of milk production. I.e. Colby is the industry's answer to the question, "How can we give our customers the least possible value for their money?"

·
Registered
397 Posts
Groundhog can be quite good.

Young ones are best and it is best baked with dressing.

Older ones can be tough.
That's what I figured. One thing I came to believe after living in China for a few years is that there are few animal species that can't be made to taste good.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
There also used to be a "certified angus" trademark, Restaurant Depot would sell a lot of it in big packer cuts. With the mark you were to expect high marbling choice that wasn't prime but consistently good. Pretty much just buy prime from costco all the time these days, I wonder what breeds those would be.

·
Registered
15,190 Posts
And grinding wagyu defeats the purpose. You'd just wind up with 50% hamburger meat.

There's no need to get hung up on "waygu." It's just a trademark they use when they sell to the Americans, because they understand American psychology. Japanese people don't actually say "Let's eat wagyu" among themselves; they say "Let's eat beef."

When they go shopping, Americans need a "name" to hang their hats on, because most Americans have wives who can't cook and are unable to evaluate raw food. I bet that's not the case with all the GlockTalk members, so here is a tip: ask your wife to try out the local Korean grocery.

Here is some typical no-name beef from a Korean grocery -- you won't do much better than this:

That beef right there would make a fine last meal....I mean that's roughly perfect to my way of thinking.

I've got a wagyu story for later.

·
Registered
15,190 Posts
There also used to be a "certified angus" trademark, Restaurant Depot would sell a lot of it in big packer cuts. With the mark you were to expect high marbling choice that wasn't prime but consistently good. Pretty much just buy prime from costco all the time these days, I wonder what breeds those would be.
The "Certified Angus" requirement system/TM is still around.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Think about the terms , certified angus, basically it says it certified it was a black cow.
I’d much rather put my money into a known yield grade.
Marketing is wonderful

·
Registered
397 Posts
Afterwords did you feel a sudden urge to move to San Francisco?
Just checked on Wagyu as that's a new one to me. $200.00 a lb.
The next day you watch the remains of your $200 swirl around the toilet bowl. Guess I'll never be a gormet.
See my comment above. Last I checked, the top grade of beef was 25 a pound at Korean groceries. Number two grade was 20.

It’s probably gone up a bit, but it’ll be some of the best beef youve ever had.

·
Registered
30,271 Posts
This is what I was trying to say. It's not about the "name' of the beef, it's about the grade of the beef. The Japanese said to themselves, "We must give high-grade beef a name if we want to sell it to the Americans -- otherwise, they won't know what they are looking at."

Sorry to bag on Americans. I am American. But all of my American ex girlfriends have been useless in the kitchen and the grocery store, so I gave up on this place. My wife is Mexican and says things such as, "Why would you buy chicken dead when it's only 50 cents a pound more for live chicken?"
Because you are paying 50¢ a pound more for stuff you won’t end up using.

·
Quick! Duck!
2,757 Posts
Spelling, like punctuation, matters!
2 examples:
"Black anus meat" vs "Black Angus meat"
and
"Let's eat Grandma." vs "Let's eat, Grandma."

Found this sign just outside Burgaw in Pender county NC.
View attachment 856108
Do they sell it by the foot?

61 - 80 of 82 Posts