Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I need to buy an angle grinder. It will not be for commercial use, just for jobs around the house/ work shop. What would you recommend for good quality that won't break the bank. I don't want a disposable one. I look for tools that will last and work well.

What size is best for general use?
What power level?
What maker?

What price should I expect to pay?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
sad to admit that the 4.5" grinder I bought from Harbor Freight a couple years ago has given me nothing but excellent service. I expected it to last 1-2 jobs, haven't killed it yet. The cost of cutoff wheels and flapper disks it has worn out far exceeds the grinder's value.

·
I don't even know....what I'm doing here....
9,124 Posts
I have a Dewalt, but truthfully, just about any quality name brand (Bosch, Dewalt, Makita, Porter Cable or Milwaukee) from your local big box home improvement store should serve the average home owner for many, many years.

·
Firm member
30,295 Posts
sad to admit that the 4.5" grinder I bought from Harbor Freight a couple years ago has given me nothing but excellent service. I expected it to last 1-2 jobs, haven't killed it yet. The cost of cutoff wheels and flapper disks it has worn out far exceeds the grinder's value.
This. My Chicago Electric p.o.s. is still cutting cinderblocks as I didn't want to use my DeWalt for such pedestrian duty. HH

·
BLR
7,414 Posts
I bought a Craftsman Angle Grinder at a yard sale for $10 fifteen years ago. I have no idea how old it is, but it's possibly the best power tool I have.

Some Harbor Freight stuff is pretty good. So if you're looking to save money you could give them a try. It's a bit of a gamble though. The quality varies a lot.

·
Pinky Out
61,171 Posts
The most important question is "what do you plan to cut with it".

Saftey is very important with an angle grinder.

Depending on what you plan to do with it, the trigger/on off switch placement can be very important.

ETA: I have been using them for the last 25 years, mostly cutting, grinding, and buffing metal.

·
In the STL
3,766 Posts
I've had good results with my Harbor Freight 4.5" (Chicago Electric...orange in color) I bought 8 or 9 years ago. It also came with extra motor brushes but I haven't needed to replace them yet.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I've come to a point in my life where I don't buy cheap stuff anymore. But I do have a black & decker 4 1/2" grinder that I bought about 7 years ago and it has been a very decent piece of kit. Change discs depending on what you are cutting and you should be fine with the lower priced brands like skill or dewalt. I wouldn't spend more than $70 on a grinder to be used around the house but certainly stay away from the really cheap stuff like Chicago.

·
Crew Chief
603 Posts
Just bought a new Hitachi from Lowes. $49. Has the extra oomph that is needed for cutting and grinding with hard discs.

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
Unless you're into heavy duty usage type stuff, i'd also gamble on the Harbor Freight or Northern. I've got a few and they will run for a long time.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The most important question is "what do you plan to cut with it".

Saftey is very important with an angle grinder.

Depending on what you plan to do with it, the trigger/on off switch placement can be very important.

ETA: I have been using them for the last 25 years, mostly cutting, grinding, and buffing metal.
I have inherited a few nice heavy duty metal draw sets that have been neglected and left to rust. They are not pitted, but removing all the rust with a wire brush in a drill is going too slow. I thought an angle grinder with a brush would have more power, and be faster. I want to repaint them and fix them up.

They will make great tool chests, and a great parts organizers. The best part is they were from the Remington Arms Factory in Illion NY.

·
Pinky Out
61,171 Posts
I have inherited a few nice heavy duty metal draw sets that have been neglected and left to rust. They are not pitted, but removing all the rust with a wire brush in a drill is going too slow. I thought an angle grinder with a brush would have more power, and be faster. I want to repaint them and fix them up.

They will make great tool chests, and a great parts organizers. The best part is they were from the Remington Arms Factory in Illion NY.
Using a wire brush you want high RPM's.

Matabo will give you the power and the switch that allows you to "turn it on" and go to work. Very nice for this application.

Now, if you want to do some cutting with said Matabo, it's no good because if it hangs-up you don't have direct control of the on/off switch.

I like a DeWalt 4 1/2 with the guard removed. It has good trigger placement, the power is there, enough power to do the job but if things go bad it won't hurt you.

The above is my opinion based on the models I have seen. There might be new models that I don't know about and my post is BS.

:wavey:

·
Pinky Out
61,171 Posts

Anyone local that can sandblast it for you?

·
hhhhhhhhmmmmmmm
1,447 Posts

·
Banned
14,313 Posts
I thought an angle grinder with a brush would have more power, and be faster.
Yes but a wire brush is hard on a grinder, more drag than a grinding wheel that they're designed for. (depending on how ya use it)

You definitely want a quality grinder, and don't let it get too hot.

I've good luck with Dewalts.

You'd think Bosch is a good brand name but I've seen one burn-out with only a couple hours of running a wire brush.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts