Android, iOS combine for 91 percent of market

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TBO, Feb 14, 2013.

1. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  2. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

I met two people this weekend excited by the new Blackberry OS. We'll see if they follow through with phone purchases. I'll post my experience if I get a hands on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Copatalk 2

3. droidfire

droidfire

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Once the competition is busted beyond repair, the android army will wage war on apple alone.

4. Resqu2

Resqu2

I'm surprised Apple is where it is really, I mean everyone is making and giving away cheap Android stuff and Apple is holding their own with just a few phones. Plus Apples profit margin is just unreal. I tried and hated Android but each to their own.

5. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

The new Blackberry OS actually looks... decent. I haven't put my hands on it to know if its as RAGE INDUCINGLY AGGRAVATING as its older models, but if they've put as much thought into the configuration as they did the basic UI...

But I doubt it. Microsoft and RIM are two companies that hit it big by "getting there first" with advanced yet mediocre offerings and are only passingly relevant today because they've been riding their initial successes that long. Windows Phone and Blackberry 10 are too little, too late. They were finally forced to compete, and their offerings are merely competitive at best. When you're lagging behind, simply being "good enough" is not enough to get you market share.

I can definitely see them staying in the market for another generation, though. Microsoft and RIM both have solid histories of exploiting their existing business relationships to keep them relevant even when their products are absolute garbage. It's what they've been doing for years.

They will eventually die (thankfully), but don't count them out yet.

6. brisk21

brisk21

Wow!! Android is really leaving Apple in the dust!! I didn't know the margin was that large now. If I were running Apple, Id come out with a few different options for phones. That would probably help them.

7. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

I don't think Apple is being left behind.
    Just market flux from healthy competition.
    There has been room for 3 smartphone OS's since the smartphone got hot. The question is who's going to lose out.

Windows phone 8 vs Blackberry vs Ubuntu?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2

8. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

Apple just became the largest smartphone manufacturer last quarter. I don't think they are getting left anywhere.

I find it hard to believe that 9% of smartphones aren't iOS or Android. I only know a single person that has a smartphone that fits that category and it's a windows phone. He plans on getting an iPhone or Android as his contract is up now.

9. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

Has he checked out the Windows 8 phones?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Copatalk 2

10. droidfire

droidfire

I agree with this also - Android and Apple will stay, that's a given. I also think the competition between them is healthy. Anytime one (business, product etc...) becomes 'it' growth stagnates.

I have my hopes for Ubuntu on phones. Be nice to compile kernels on device.

If it thrives it'll eventually put android under with some serious changes...but that depends on a lot, and I just can't see a native linux install slimming itself down to what Android is elegantly. There may very well be room for both at the finish line.

11. Inebriated

Inebriated

I know a pretty large handful of people who've sworn off Android due to poor experiences (myself included). Also know a ton of iPhone users who are getting aggravated by the lack of any sort of change.

I personally went with the Windows 7 phone, and now Windows 8 phone, over the iPhone. I like WP8 a lot, and don't think I'd be any happier with iPhone. I do wish WP8 would get some people behind it, and get some bigger name apps on it, though.

I'd like another iPhone at some point, but I just don't see the appeal anymore.