GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
You also have to remember that there is only a few companies that actually make the rough AR receiver forgings. All the manufacturers get the same forgings. You are paying for the fit and finish along with the name that is stamped on the side.

I have used stripped lowers from Anderson, CMMG, DPMS, and Palmetto State Armory. They all work the same. Sometimes the finish isn't as nice on the Anderson compared to the others but that doesn't keep the firearms from functioning.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I've built I think 5 rifles on anderson lowers in the last 10 years . No problems with any of them. As long as they are milled to spec there should be zero problems with the lower.

·
Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,040 Posts
Something to note about human nature... The more someone spends on something, the more likely they are to defend it as the best ever. It is the same on the backpacking board for stoves, backpacks, boots... The funny thing is that it is the same for those who spent nothing on something. Hey, I made my backpack with things I found along the trail, it is the best. Hey I bought these flip flops at walmart for $4 and hiked with them all winter. So with that in mind.....

They get a lot of crap from those that spent 10X what an Anderson goes for. And of course the people who complain the loudest do not use them for real work.

I have put together multiple Anderson lowers into low budget and high budget guns. No issues. I can't say that with all the lowers I have used. BTW, It is my understanding that the same people who make Anderson lowers, make other brands, it is just the stamp on the side.

As far as the rest of the gun.... There may be some legitimate complaints.
Someone said the trigger was horrible. Well...It is just a basic trigger and they all start off a little rough.
The gun is not milspec. (OR wasn't when I looked into it) The bolt was made from a lesser steel and not x-rayed and ...
Someone assembling one of the lowers put the trigger in wrong. Easy fix and the gun was not sold as a complete, tested gun.

Reactions: BOOSTED12A

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I used to have an Anderson 16 incher that would shoot low and right. I maxed out the rear sight adjustment with little effect on the POA. Never have an issue with Palmetto's. Just sharing my experience....

·
Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,040 Posts
I used to have an Anderson 16 incher that would shoot low and right. I maxed out the rear sight adjustment with little effect on the POA. Never have an issue with Palmetto's. Just sharing my experience....
Front post on barrel or free float with BUIS?
Was it setup to run a scope, how did it fair?
Did you remove the flash suppressor to look at the crown?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Front post on barrel or free float with BUIS?
Was it setup to run a scope, how did it fair?
Did you remove the flash suppressor to look at the crown?
Front post on barrel (fixed sight). Didn't shoot it with a scope. LGS was kind enough to issue me a refund after they tried it themselves.

·
Registered
681 Posts
There are several reasons for an AR to have to have the sights maxed out to one side or the other to zero.
It could be a canted front sight
Locator pin out of spec or drilled wrong U
Upper receiver face out of spec and not flat.

And I have seen all the above all different brands of AR's. Even from manufacturers that you would not expect to see that kind of stuff from.

I have no experience with Anderson complete firearms or their parts. I have used their stripped upper and lower receivers for build without problems.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
You pay for the brand names stamped on the sides...if you have a Colt, or DD, or LMT, Patagonia, Nike, or Rolex - somehow it is magically "better" and "worth more", even if the components are made by same contractors supplying multiple producers. Think of what you are doing with it, and consider the the diminishing returns on your investment. Does paying 4x more for a piece of equipment deliver you 4 times more advantage to you.

15 years ago, yes big difference. Today not so much as internet pressure, and consumer awareness, online forums, have forced AR makers to converge their product quality. Terms like MPI, mil spec, forged or billet, chrome lined or Nitrided, M4 profile, properly staked, optics ready, stainless gas tube....are now basically universal terms.
Some names like LMT, SOLGW, Noveske, BCM, have a superior attention to detail and QC. Issues that again...the SOTAM on Youtube points out with other manufacturers. Some are pricey, some are not, he treats them all the same.

·
Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,040 Posts
There are several reasons for an AR to have to have the sights maxed out to one side or the other to zero.
It could be a canted front sight
Locator pin out of spec or drilled wrong U
Upper receiver face out of spec and not flat.

And I have seen all the above all different brands of AR's. Even from manufacturers that you would not expect to see that kind of stuff from.

I have no experience with Anderson complete firearms or their parts. I have used their stripped upper and lower receivers for build without problems.
You are correct.
I bet it was a messed up crown.

·
Huge Member
11,066 Posts
I've built I think 5 rifles on anderson lowers in the last 10 years . No problems with any of them. As long as they are milled to spec there should be zero problems with the lower.
Same here, 5 builds with Anderson lowers including some with Anderson uppers. Never had an issue.

Reactions: BOOSTED12A
21 - 32 of 32 Posts