and this is why you turn your computer off Before you work on it

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Altaris, Jul 31, 2007.

  1. Altaris

    Altaris

    Messages:
    13,774
    Likes Received:
    11,651
    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2004
    Location:
    Round Rock, TX
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,291543,00.html

    Report: Sweaty Chinese Man Electrocuted by Computer

    A 20-year-old student in Shanghai, China, was electrocuted Monday when he opened his computer's external case while the machine was still on, the Shanghai Daily reported.

    The man, identified only by the common family name of Wu, had apparently opened his PC's case to prevent its central processing chip from overheating — because he didn't want to turn his air conditioning on.

    His sweaty legs came into contact with the computer's internal wiring, likely causing a short circuit.

    According to the newspaper, which drew from a report in the Chinese-language Eastday.com, police and medical respondents found blood in the dead man's nostrils and bruises on his legs.

    The computer's internal voltage can reach as high as 380 volts in power-storage capacitors, which is enough to give a deadly shock.

    Powering down and unplugging the machine for a few minutes before opening it would have spared the man's life.
     
  2. Washington D.C.

    Washington D.C. Guest

    Messages:
    5,218
    Likes Received:
    1
    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2003
    Unplugging it first is good idea too.
     

  3. Hauptmann6

    Hauptmann6

    Messages:
    4,623
    Likes Received:
    564
    Joined:
    May 22, 2002
    Location:
    Portage, MI
    Bad idea. Leave it plugged in and turned off. If it's not plugged in it's not grounded. That can save your machine from a static frying.
     
  4. Washington D.C.

    Washington D.C. Guest

    Messages:
    5,218
    Likes Received:
    1
    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2003
    A lot of places don't have properly grounded outlets. Even with the PC switched off the power can still get you. Better the machine frying than you. I always run a separate ground anyway.
     
  5. Blitzer

    Blitzer Cool Cat

    Messages:
    12,111
    Likes Received:
    3
    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2004
    Location:
    The communist's play ground of OHIO
    Bad idea! Motherboards & power supplies have 5 volts active on the power switch line that can spike the cards and other components when you try to remove them. Unplug the power cord first.

    :shocked: :upeyes: :sad: :crying: :crazy: :eyebrow: :headscratch: :holysheep: :miff: :notlistening: :outtahere: :rant: :scared: :shame: :shakehead:
     
  6. RaiderRodney

    RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

    Messages:
    516
    Likes Received:
    26
    Joined:
    May 22, 2003
    Location:
    North Carolina
    I have to agree. Unplug it and buy a $5 wrist strap to ground your arse ;)
     
  7. Powersauce

    Powersauce Guest

    Messages:
    20
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    +1

    but it seems like the guy wasn't working on it..he just wanted to keep the CPU from overheating...unfortunatly his sweaty leg got to it..