And this is why I always carry a flashlight.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jame, Jul 21, 2019.

1. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

When I fly there are normally 3 flashlights in my man purse. Once thru security the neck one goes back on. If night flight one goes I my pocket.

2. Sniff

Sniff

I've got an AAA LED light on me every time I go out. In addition to the light function on my phones. Not the brightest light I own, but works well when I need it.

I have a couple of Maglites in the car too, both with LED bulbs.

3. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

There was so much incompetence on board the Titanic. It's a wonder more people didn't die.

Many years ago, my mother was involved in an incident involving a school theater or choir group and a hotel in Seattle. Late at night, the fire alarms started going off, and everyone was in a full-blown panic because none of the lights worked, and nobody except one person could get a flashlight. The automated voice kept screeching that everyone needed to vacate the building, but nobody could see where they were going.

Everyone made it out okay....IIRC, it was a false-alarm, or a fire in the kitchens or something. But they made a shirt to commemorate the experience, based on the Survivor TV show logo.

Ever since then, my mother has kept flashlights around the house and in her nightstand drawer.

4. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

I have a bunch of lights but the P12 is one of my favorites, they are a hell of a deal at $45.

5. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Olight has some comparable options. The S1A Baton is very small and has a magnetic tailcap. I don't know why more don't have magnetic ends, that is a very handy feature.

I am a flashaholic.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Lawdog3 likes this.
  6. Schrag4

Schrag4

I used to never carry a flashlight, but I do, now. I got a nice one to carry, nothing that expensive but it uses one 18650 battery and it puts out a ton of light on the brightest mode. For the house and vehicles, we decided to sprinkle those $2 little lights that take a single AA battery all over the place (for everyone else in the house who won’t bother carrying one around). Like everyone else in this thread, I find myself using my flashlight almost daily.

7. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I have a small AAA Olight (that I got free from one of their sales) on my keychain. If it's not on my keychain I will probably not have it on me every time I go out. I'm not going to do Search & Rescue with it but for EDC it's fine. I carry larger lights in my vehicles.

When I'm CCWing this is how I carry my tac light, clipped on to my spare mag pouch, it works really well. Hasn't fallen off yet.

8. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

I carry a Fenix LD12 that has saved my cat's life many times.

This is because for some reason he will run in front of you and stop dead even in the dark. He assumes you will step over him and assumes you will see him in the pitch black.

cougar_ml and Dragline like this.
  9. STI

STI

Carried a Fenix E15 1st gen here for lots of years and still do so, use it almost daily, never failed me.

Boundertom likes this.
  10. arkdweller22

arkdweller22 Cuhootnified Roamer

You have great taste in torches my friend. :cheers:
    I use that PD-35 TAC all the time while traveling, tooling around the trailer, even walking the dog. It's pretty awesome for everyday utility use. I love the 5 levels of output.

I lost my E2D a few months ago and I'm wavering between that and the EDCL2-T as a replacement for carry.

jimcorbin and G30SF/F-250 like this.
  11. arkdweller22

arkdweller22 Cuhootnified Roamer

Great video. The unboxing part was hilarious!

RPK Clone and IvanVic like this.
  12. oldcop1971

oldcop1971

I'm a member of Flash-aholics Anonymous. I have a single AAA light on my key chain, lights in every vehicle and in every room in the house. Back when I was working day shift in a small PD, I had a light on my belt, and used it many times. The Chief was always asking to borrow it when we entered a house or building. Geez, buy one for yourself, chief...I have 3 within arms reach as I type this, lol.

Danielsuzuki likes this.
  13. DAKA

DAKA

I refuse to spend more than about $25 for a flashlight. The get lost, "borrowed" and crunched
    I have about 20 around the house and in the cars now...
    So am I a Flash-aholic?

14. gunowner1

gunowner1

I had a guy leave a Surefire at my restaurant last year. His number was engraved on the side. I called to get an address to send it to him. He couldn't believe I wanted to do that.
    Turns out he was a lawyer from Miami in town for a sailing event. I ended up getting a $25.00 Visa gift card in the mail two weeks later. What goes around comes around.

15. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I had a friend that bought ships and parted them out.

One time he took me down into one he was working on. After donning the hard hats and some safety gear, he grabbed three flashlights. I asked why 3? He said because if you run out of light, you likely are dead.

When we were way down in there he turned the flashlight he was using off. It was exactly like being in a mind shaft. It wasn’t dark, there was a complete absence of light.

The difference between the ship and a mine shaft with which I was more familiar, the mine shaft wasn’t a maze to get out. :0

jame, Rinspeed and deputy tom like this.
  16. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Those little S1A Batons are a great little light and I have a couple of them. I don't like the switch quite as well as a Zebralight though. Also in comparison, they both have similar outputs but the Zebralight SC5 achieves it with 1.2 volts VS the S1A Baton needing 3.7 volts. I do agree about the magnetic tailcap, awesome feature.

Danielsuzuki likes this.
  17. RPK Clone

RPK Clone

I'm having trouble finding a light that has these 4 things:
    1. max 4" long
    2. strike bezel
    3. momentary on/off without full click
    4. brightest setting first.

well, I could do without the strike bezel as it wouldnt be that effective in a mini light.

Seems like everything that has what I want is over 5" long. I dont think I would carry that too often. just seems like it would fill up the pocket too much. am I wrong?

18. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    No, just cheap, forgetful, and clumsy.

:tongueout:

19. unit1069

unit1069

Interesting article. Thanks. I believe I'd find a better way to spend $100M + than on a vintage plastic battery light unless I was the owner of the official Titanic Museum.

I was sold on today's efficient flashlights when I bought an ICON carabiner model for about $20 at a gun show booth, probably fifteen years ago. It has good high and low light beams, rubber on/off/high/low thumb button and runs on one AA battery. I liked it so well I bought a second one to keep in the pickup's console.
    I gifted both my sisters the same model and I know for a fact that two of the four are still running strong even with rechargeable batteries.

My backup is a Surefire G3, and it runs on three lithium 123 batteries. The Surefire throws out a strong beam for distance which I definitely prefer when out in the mountains or places I don't daily frequent; and terrific if having to look into deep, dark places. I understand that more modern, brighter, and sometimes cheaper brands than the two I have are all over the place and this thread has got me interested in these handy and important items.

20. Dr. Leaky

Dr. Leaky Know-It-All

I recently dug out the old Surefire Z2 I bought at Gunsite when I got my CCW in 2001. The bulb had died and I wasn't thrilled about the battery life so it got put away. I upgraded to a Malkoff M61W warm-tint LED bulb and it was like falling in love all over again. Great light plus longer battery life added to the ergonomics I learned on.

Img_3174.jpg Img_3171.jpg

pike bishop and litework like this.