GlockTalk Forum banner

Would you approve of Ted Cruz, as a SCOTUS justice?

• Yes

Votes: 39 34.8%
  • Enthusiastic Yes

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • No

Votes: 19 17.0%
  • Enthusiastic No

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • Yes, but I think we can do better.

Votes: 22 19.6%
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
King Doofus.
5,469 Posts
I think Ted would do a great job but, I think he'll pick a woman just to dare them to throw a tantrum.

·
Registered
55,319 Posts
She's an establishment Republican from the Bush wing of the party. She could turn out to be another John Roberts.
Yeah... It's partly luck of the draw, but that is my reservation also.

Reactions: hogship

·
"Cynical Little me"
7,148 Posts
Is he a real Hispanic or one of those that had to learn the Language?

If he's real then throw him on the train. We need the Spanish vote and it will make Biden crap his Depends.

OK I see that Sonia Sotomayor is of Puerto Rican descent so it gets tricky here. Trump needs Texas and throwing a bone to that state "will" help him even if the cowards in the Senate don't ratify him.

A conservative Black woman would work but its probably not going to get him votes much. A Hispanic will and he needs both TX. and FL. .

Yaknow after watching this game for 62 years you get a feel for their moves and counter moves. I say nominate the guy and let Biden by the bad guy.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Coney Barrett clerked for Scalia if that counts.

Well, the 2nd amendment is under attack, so we do need someone with history, as well as knowledge of just why our founders included the 2A.......and exactly what they meant. We have too many people who want to twist the words to mean something the founders never intended.

Trump knows this all too well, so I'm sure whomever he nominates, will be in the mold of Antonin Scalia.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
And the next SCOTUS nominee will be:

From DJT, pre or post election.
MAGA

·
Rottweilers making America great again!
3,267 Posts
Amy Barrett will be a great pick. The Dems will have a hard time attacking her.

·
Rottweilers making America great again!
3,267 Posts
Condoleezza Rice? There is nothing that says you have to be a lawyer. She does have a PHD and working knowledge of federal procedures.
Condoleezza Rice?
HELL NO!
Haven't we learned anything about Bush era so called Republicans?

·
Rational
14,219 Posts
Save Amy for the next one.

For this time, nominate Judge Barbara Lagoa. She's a Cuban American.

Oppose her, and offend Hispanics, that's the way to lose Florida
and other high Latino states.
I've just read about her, and I like her. But what's her ruling record, if any, on matters of the 2A?

·
Scottish Member
11,191 Posts
Amy Barrett will be a great pick. The Dems will have a hard time attacking her.

They already did, when her name floated around for the last two (2) nominations.

Liberals get a break, conservatives don’t, no matter the gender.

·
Stop the steal!
17,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I've just read about her, and I like her. But what's her ruling record, if any, on matters of the 2A?

Trump is more in tune with his constituency than any president in my lifetime.....could be for all time, since the founding.

I doubt he will nominate anyone who isn't a strong advocate of the original intent of the second amendment.

A female Cuban American would be a strong 3D chess move. The Ds will have a hard time opposing her, and it would certainly give him votes from that demographic.

·
Stop the steal!
17,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

·
Stop the steal!
17,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Something that seems lost in the fervor to select Cruz is that we would need Cruz to vote anyone in.
I am the OP, here.....As much as I like Cruz, and think he'd be a great SCOTUS judge, I've changed my mind on thinking he would be the best choice at this time.......maybe later.

Also, I think Cruz would still make a great president......:flag:

I've changed my vote to the 5th option.......:D

·
Registered
1,103 Posts

Who is Barbara Lagoa?

According to the Florida Supreme Court's website, Lagoa -- a graduate of Columbia Law School -- was the first Latina appointed to that court when she was chosen by Gov. Ron DeSantis in January 2019. Before this, she had served on the state's 3rd District appeals court since her 2006 appointment by then-Gov. Jeb Bush.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/who-is-barbara-lagoa-possible-trump-supreme-court-contender
Barbara is a "knock them dead" move. But I wonder if he is saving that for second, if the first Amy nomination won't move.

It's a family sacrifice for the nominees. They will be dragged through mud.

·
19,611 Posts
Barrett is the best pick, methinks.

She was confirmed by the Senate for her current judicial position only 3 years ago, and even had 3 Dems (!) cross-over to vote for her. Not that they will help her this time around (well, 2 won't help, in any case -- one is no longer in the Senate, and the second is Hillary's 2016 VP pick Tim Kaine; but the third Dem was Joe Manchin....Hmmm).

So she's already been well-vetted through her last confirmation, and has a few Dems that voted for her last time around. I think that combo makes it harder for the Dems to successfully raise a fit.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts