close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anaconda for Whitetail ?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Rob19, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Rob19

Rob19 Millennium Member

hey: I was thinking about just taking my Colt Anaconda ( 6 inch barrel ) during firearms season, this year, in Indiana. I just wanted to make sure this is a proper tool to use and if so, which factory rounds should I use? Seems like I read : NO FULL METAL JACKETED BULLETS ALLOWED. I only have a couple of boxes of 44 mag; 240 gr federal hydra shock and 240 JSP Winchester white box with a deer head on the box with the word "hunting".) So, I am taking the Winchester White Box unless someone here can convince me otherwise. Any suggestions about handgun hunting, in general, would also be appreciated. take care, rob

2. RangemasterD

RangemasterD

.44mag is perfectlly suitable for medium game anywhere in the US. And a six inch barrel is not really any hinderance as long as you can shoot it acuratly. Use the Winchester, keep the range short and don't pull the trigger unless you are 100% sure that you will make a clean kill. Post a good pic. Best of luck.

3. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

Might also consider Hornady XTP's. Only time I ever went deer hunting, I took a .44 mag S&W 29, killed a deer; never went back.

4. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

The Anaconda is an adequate weapon for deer in Indiana.I would suggest you keep your range at 75 yards or less and make sure that you are ready to deliver shots repeatedly in the kill zone. Federal and Hornady make excellent factory rounds ( I reload the XTP's) but I am sure what you have will do the job if you deliver the accuracy. I would suggest a dress rehearsal with your gear at the range...you would be suprised to see what hunting garb can do when you try to draw your pistol, make the necessary changes and increase your odds.GoodLuck I'll be out deer hunting as well up north near Mongo... ;f

5. vafish

vafish

If your Anaconda shoots the Winchester Whitebox JSP's accurately go ahead and use the. I took a nice doe with them last year and a little buck the year before.

I'll go a little further than the others. I'm not going to set an effective range for you. You need to set your limits for yourself. I've taken deer out to almost 100 yards (90 paces) with handguns.

The key is to limit yourself to a distance no further than that which you can keep your shots an a typical 9" paper plate using a typical hunting position. I use off hand, bench rest shots don't count unless you bring a bench rest into the field with you. Sitting, kneeling, and improvised rests or shooting sticks are ok if that is how you hunt. If 25 yards is the furthest distance that you can keep all your shots on a 9" paper plate shooting offhand, then limit your offhand shots to 25 yards. If you can keep all your shots on the paper plate at 100 yards from sitting, but only do it at 25 yards from the standing position, then limit yourself to 100 yards from the sitting position and 25 yards to off hand.

I haven't shot a deer with a centerfire rifle in 28 years. I've been using Bow, Shotguns, Blackpowder, and mostly handguns for deer hunting.

6. Rob19

Rob19 Millennium Member

Thanks for the great replies. I have only shot the Anaconda one time and a buddy and I only put aboout 12 rounds apiece throught it. It is a Limited Edition and I made an impulse buy because I thought it was perty. It was suppose to bu infired, but a friend of mine, who at least thinks he knows more than I, says it had been. One thing's for sure; the first time I tickled that snake's belly ( trigger ), it was a dead-on bull from about twenty five feet. I knew I had to keep her. I have only deer hunted a couple of times and a co-worker wants me to go with him, this year, as we turkey hunted together last year. ( but that is another thread ) Thanks again, for the safety, ammo, and humane hunting tips. rdogout

7. Rob19

Rob19 Millennium Member

sorry, all I have is a pic of the firearm, no buck, yet.

8. badhunter1234

badhunter1234

Friend, I'm not trying to flame you -- but you've got no business going hunting with a handgun that you have put 12 rounds through. You need to put some serious time in practicing, and be able to consistently put shots where you need them offhand. Shoot a couple hundred rounds through it, include double action, some quick follow up shots. Stretch your range out as you get confident -- start at 25 yards, you should be able to move up to 50 and keep it on a pie plate. Then youre ready to hunt.

9. Rob19

Rob19 Millennium Member

friend: no flame taken. I plan to go to the range quite a bit, if it ever stops raining. I will do well to heed your advise. I imagine one would want to become proficient with double action mode before hunting. ( follow-up shot(s) ) I will not harvest a whitetail, anyway, unless it walks right up on me. It is important to know your target and what's beyond it, too. Just wanted to throw that one in. Thanks for the good advise. Take care, rob