Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if this is what President Trump was referring to in his presser? Placing a UV-C light generator in HAVC duct work has been done for years. Sounds like this is different.

An ultraviolet light may help fight spread of novel coronavirus
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/ultraviolet-light-fight-spread-coronavirus/story?id=70170111

A researcher at Columbia University says he may have a "public health breakthrough" in the fight against the novel coronavirus.

Dr. David Brenner has discovered that a certain kind of light can kill airborne viruses, including some types of coronavirus.

As the director of the Center of Radiological Research at Columbia University, Brenner has been studying ultraviolet light, also known as UV light, as a potentially life-saving weapon against the spread of viruses.

UV light is known for its germicidal killing properties and is used to clean equipment and hospital areas. But it is also dangerous to humans because it can penetrate the skin and cause cancer, as well as cataracts.

However, that's not the case with a narrow band of UV light called far-UVC light.

"It can't get through any of the living cells of our skin," said Brenner. "That's why it's safe for human exposure."

Earlier this year Brenner was testing the ability of far-UVC light to kill airborne viruses in preparation for the upcoming flu season. When the coronavirus outbreak hit, Brenner ran additional tests to determine whether far-UVC light kills those viruses in the air as well.

Reactions: B C and Mr Meeseeks

·
Registered
21,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
If you have had a dental filling lately, you may have noticed the ultraviolet light used in your mouth. At least my dentist uses it. It hardens the material used in tooth restoration.
I even bought a kit called Bondic that is a similar type of material and a small ultraviolet light. I have used it on some small fixit items. Takes about 4 seconds to harden into a solid that can be filed, drilled or ground to shape. Amazing stuff.

·
Wut?
2,528 Posts
UV light therapy is not a new thing. Neither is the use of disinfectants, specifically hydrogen peroxide. Here's an interesting article about it from only a couple of weeks ago:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/me...eatment-for-coronavirus-infection/ar-BB12qktc

What's new is the idea of potentially being able to inject it directly into the lungs, but it certainly is not a crackpot notion. As usual, the establishment media is utterly corrupt and totally worthless.

·
Registered
21,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UV light therapy is not a new thing. Neither is the use of disinfectants, specifically hydrogen peroxide. Here's an interesting article about it from only a couple of weeks ago:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/me...eatment-for-coronavirus-infection/ar-BB12qktc

What's new is the idea of potentially being able to inject it directly into the lungs, but it certainly is not a crackpot notion. As usual, the establishment media is utterly corrupt and totally worthless.
I think @PicardMD mentioned this in another thread was thought to be an unviable treatment. I don't know how well this has been looked into.:dunno:

·
White and nerdy
12,250 Posts
I'm fairly certain hydrogen peroxide taken internally is toxic. I've seen references to using it to treat surface infections or similar. Is there any legitimate study to show that it can be taken internally?

The entire thing with the press conference was discussing environmental disinfection. There's no magic pill for this thing so far. I wish there were.

Reactions: flyover

·
NRA Life Member
66,554 Posts
I thought he was more likely talking about how we have been using UV radiation to kill viruses and such for more than 100 years. It is used everywhere from hospitals to tattoo shops for sterilization. Europe has about 6,000 water treatment plants that use UV light to treat water.

From medical Journals:

Ultraviolet Irradiation of Blood: “The Cure That Time Forgot”?

Ultraviolet blood irradiation (UBI) was extensively used in the 1940s and 1950s to treat many diseases including septicemia, pneumonia, tuberculosis, arthritis, asthma and even poliomyelitis. The early studies were carried out by several physicians in USA and published in the American Journal of Surgery. However with the development of antibiotics, UBI use declined and it has now been called “the cure that time forgot”.

Ultraviolet blood irradiation: Is it time to remember “the cure that time forgot”?

A controlled clinical trial of ultraviolet blood irradiation (UVBI) for hepatitis C infection
"UVBI was safe in all patients and effective for the treatment of HCV infection in a majority of patients (IDE #G030242). This device should be studied for the treatment of other infectious diseases for which there are few treatment options."

A controlled clinical trial of ultraviolet blood irradiation (UVBI) for hepatitis C infection

"UVBI was safe in all patients and effective for the treatment of HCV infection in a majority of patients (IDE #G030242). This device should be studied for the treatment of other infectious diseases for which there are few treatment options."

Reactions: flyover

·
Make It So!!
3,243 Posts
We are talking about several different things that the media is getting mixed up.

1) UV lights used to decontaminate environmental objects/space do so by damaging DNA directly. You do not want to use these on humans as you will kill human cells.

2) UV light blood irradiation as a treament is using specific low dose UV lights on blood. It actually does not kill microorganisms or pathogens (otherwise it will kill human cells as well). It works by inducing some immunomodulating changes in our various white blood cell lines. We actually don't have a full understanding of the details and how that fits in the bigger immune system picture. This is actually worth picking it back up from the old days and studying it more thoroughly nowadays as another way to immunomodulate our body. Not all immunomodulating are good for our body and not all work the same. So it will not be a one-size fits all solution for anything.

3) Irradiated blood for transfusion for specific subset of immuno-sensitive patients. Again, this is NOT used to kill pathogens to make the blood safer. The goal here is to prevent what we call "graft vs host" disease - meaning, we are killing off all the straggling white blood cells (mostly lymphocytes) so that they don't attack the new host body.

·
Wut?
2,528 Posts
I'm fairly certain hydrogen peroxide taken internally is toxic. I've seen references to using it to treat surface infections or similar. Is there any legitimate study to show that it can be taken internally?
It's already used internally via nebulizers. Given that, the idea of being able to inject it is not all that far-fetched. This is from that MSN article I linked earlier:

Vaporized hydrogen peroxide has long been considered effective in removing viruses. Researchers in 1997 discovered that the compound could completely inactivate a range of exotic animal viruses.

Experts said inhaling the vapor using a nebulizer has been the most convenient to receive hydrogen peroxide to fight viral infections. The microscopic mist can easily reach deep into the nostrils, sinuses and lungs, which are commonly affected by respiratory diseases like COVID-19.

“Effective hydrogen peroxide nebulization quite literally, ‘chops the head off of the snake,’ and the virus present elsewhere in the body can then readily be mopped up when the new virus influx has been terminated,” Levy said.

The health expert recommends using the nebulizer with hydrogen peroxide for 10 to 15 mins, 4 times a day, until the symptoms of the infection improve.

“As it is a completely non-toxic therapy, nebulization can be administered as often as desired,” Levy noted. “If done on a daily basis at least once, a very positive impact on bowel and gut function will often be realized as killing the chronic pathogen colonization present in most noses and throats stops the 24/7 swallowing of these pathogens and their associated toxins.”

·
Registered
31,821 Posts

Read the original story. They are pushing this as a home remedy and there is NO evidence or study listed that relates to inhalation efficacy. The 1997 study quoted was about deactivating virus on stainless steel surfaces.

Don't you think if this were a real thing it would be used, not just for COVID-19 but all resp. infections?

https://www.livetradingnews.com/sur...sease-how-hydrogen-peroxide-works-172241.html

·
White and nerdy
12,250 Posts
It's already used internally via nebulizers. Given that, the idea of being able to inject it is not all that far-fetched. This is from that MSN article I linked earlier:
I'm googling this topic, and I'm finding some advocates of it, but not references to approved treatments or clinical trials. The first hit is to a doctor's office selling nebulizers, the 2nd is to a study involving lung damage to one woman, we get the MSN article and not much else that seems scientific.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
In the 70's and 80's in chemistry class, we stored our safety goggles in a cabinet that had a UV light to kill bac/virus.

My ex is from a small town(Canton, TX) that had an artesian well that became popular for the locals. People would just pull up and fill their jugs. Eventually the city/county set up a system where the water would run through a box with UV light.

·
Wut?
2,528 Posts
I'm googling this topic, and I'm finding some advocates of it, but not references to approved treatments or clinical trials. The first hit is to a doctor's office selling nebulizers, the 2nd is to a study involving lung damage to one woman, we get the MSN article and not much else that seems scientific.
My point was simply that Trump was not pushing some lunatic idea that he dragged up out of nowhere. My point wasn't that it's currently being recommended as a treatment. I'd bet money that it IS being studied, which was what I think he was getting at in his own rambling way.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Last week Cedar-Sinai released a video on youTube about the UV therepy. Cedar -Sinai is not a fly by night operation. Aytu BioScience announced Tuesday the firm is working with Cedars-Sinai and the FDA to determine the efficacy of the treatment.

Video get's removed from YouTube.
Flashback: Just a few days ago, This is why you don't find much info on the subject.
YouTube CEO backs WHO, vows to remove posts that go against group's recommendations.
Sparking cries of censorship, YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki has announced that the platform will remove any content that contradicts the embattled Word Health Organization's health guidance.

In an interview with CNN earlier this week, Wojcicki talked about how YouTube is policing content related to the coronavirus. You can watch the video on CNN or youTube with Wojcicki stating that youTube will basically sensor topics on Corona virus. The link below also has video.
Source: https://www.wnd.com/2020/04/youtube-ceo-backs-vows-remove-posts-go-groups-recommendations/

1: YouTube takes down bio-tech firm's video explaining potential UV light treatment for coronavirus patients
'We do not have any idea why. Our team has asked for clarification'
Source: https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...ce=wnd&utm_medium=wnd&utm_campaign=syndicated

YouTube has removed a video by a pharmaceutical company explaining how UV light treatment can be used to possibly combat the coronavirus, claiming it violates their terms of service.

2: The censored video, produced by Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, explains how its UV light product called “Healight” can be used as a First-in-Class treatment against viruses and bacteria, including the coronavirus, by inserting the catheter device into the lungs that exposes the bronchial tissue to UV-A radiation.
UVlighttech24986.jpg

Source - https://www.infowars.com/youtube-censors-video-about-uv-light-treatment-use-against-coronavirus/

·
Make It So!!
3,243 Posts
Last week Cedar-Sinai released a video on youTube about the UV therepy. Cedar -Sinai is not a fly by night operation. Aytu BioScience announced Tuesday the firm is working with Cedars-Sinai and the FDA to determine the efficacy of the treatment.

Video get's removed from YouTube.
Flashback: Just a few days ago, This is why you don't find much info on the subject.
YouTube CEO backs WHO, vows to remove posts that go against group's recommendations.
Sparking cries of censorship, YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki has announced that the platform will remove any content that contradicts the embattled Word Health Organization's health guidance.

In an interview with CNN earlier this week, Wojcicki talked about how YouTube is policing content related to the coronavirus. You can watch the video on CNN or youTube with Wojcicki stating that youTube will basically sensor topics on Corona virus. The link below also has video.
Source: https://www.wnd.com/2020/04/youtube-ceo-backs-vows-remove-posts-go-groups-recommendations/

1: YouTube takes down bio-tech firm's video explaining potential UV light treatment for coronavirus patients
'We do not have any idea why. Our team has asked for clarification'
Source: https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...ce=wnd&utm_medium=wnd&utm_campaign=syndicated

YouTube has removed a video by a pharmaceutical company explaining how UV light treatment can be used to possibly combat the coronavirus, claiming it violates their terms of service.

2: The censored video, produced by Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, explains how its UV light product called “Healight” can be used as a First-in-Class treatment against viruses and bacteria, including the coronavirus, by inserting the catheter device into the lungs that exposes the bronchial tissue to UV-A radiation.
View attachment 746834

Source - https://www.infowars.com/youtube-censors-video-about-uv-light-treatment-use-against-coronavirus/
Citing infowars as a source is not better than citing some ultra-liberal political pundit source for the other side.

Is there a link to the video taken down by YouTube that is actually put out by Cedars-Sinai? The purported re-posting of the video on Aytu's website looks like a commercial video put out by a biotech company. Cedars-Sinai's website doesn't say a whole lot.

The only thing I can find from Cedars-Sinai is an article they submitted to a somewhat obscure European journal using the Heallight technology in colonoscopy to alter gut flora. From anatomical standpoint, bacterial flora standpoint, and even technical aspect standpoint, that's apples and oranges comparing to using it in the lungs.

If all Cedars-Sinai has done is it's use in colonoscopy as proof of concept, it is actually very, very far away from being a realistic option for COVID patients even if it actually works. We are talking about COVID 20, COVD 21 or beyond, and most likely never if it's based on endoscopic UVC technology.

In a colonoscopy, the scope has direct access to the entire mucosa in the colon, so the light does not need to go through human tissue to affect bacterial flora inside your colon.

In the lungs, the bronchoscope reaches a very, very, very small percentage of your actual bronchial tree (it gets too small for any instruments beyond the first few branches). So overwhelming majority of the bronchial tree is not accessible by bronchoscope, meaning overwhelming majority of lung tissues, including 100% of lower lung tissues where COVID does damage, is inaccessible to a bronchoscope. AND, UVC lights have very poor penetrance in living human tissues, so it's not going to go very far from inside the bronchial tree... it is very unlikely for UVC lights to get into the actual lung tissues where COVID is.

Interesting concept, but the application is more likely in the GI system and not the pulmonary system.

Reactions: vote Republican

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Citing infowars as a source is not better than citing some ultra-liberal political pundit source for the other side.

Is there a link to the video taken down by YouTube that is actually put out by Cedars-Sinai? The purported re-posting of the video on Aytu's website looks like a commercial video put out by a biotech company. Cedars-Sinai's website doesn't say a whole lot.

The only thing I can find from Cedars-Sinai is an article they submitted to a somewhat obscure European journal using the Heallight technology in colonoscopy to alter gut flora. From anatomical standpoint, bacterial flora standpoint, and even technical aspect standpoint, that's apples and oranges comparing to using it in the lungs.

If all Cedars-Sinai has done is it's use in colonoscopy as proof of concept, it is actually very, very far away from being a realistic option for COVID patients even if it actually works. We are talking about COVID 20, COVD 21 or beyond.

In a colonoscopy, the scope has direct access to the entire mucosa in the colon, so the light does not need to go through human tissue to affect bacterial flora inside your colon.

In the lungs, the bronchoscope reaches a very, very, very small percentage of your actual bronchial tree (it gets too small for any instruments beyond the first few branches). So overwhelming majority of the bronchial tree is not accessible by bronchoscope, meaning overwhelming majority of lung tissues, including 100% of lower lung tissues where COVID does damage, is inaccessible to a bronchoscope. AND, UVC lights have very poor penetrance in living human tissues, so it's not going to go very far from inside the bronchial tree... it is very unlikely for UVC lights to get into the actual lung tissues where COVID is.

Interesting concept, but the application is more likely in the GI system and not the pulmonary system.
You can argue the application with the people at Aytu BioScience , Cedars-Sinai and the FDA. The photo from the video shows it in the lungs. I didn't source the material because I believed in it, someone couldn't find any reference to the info. so I brought it to their attention.
First, I would trust infowars and WND over 99% of most main stream sources. Second, infowars got the info from another source, looks like gateway pundit. I referenced three different sources in my reply. https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...ce=wnd&utm_medium=wnd&utm_campaign=syndicated

The story is, Cedars put out a video, YouTube banned the video.

·
Registered
21,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

If all Cedars-Sinai has done is it's use in colonoscopy as proof of concept, it is actually very, very far away from being a realistic option for COVID patients even if it actually works. We are talking about COVID 20, COVD 21 or beyond, and most likely never if it's based on endoscopic UVC technology.

I kid, I kid!! Somebody has to keep us in the know.

View: https://youtu.be/aT9Lm4Y886k

1 - 20 of 22 Posts