Glock Talk banner

An SRO engaged the school shooter in TX

13410 Views 475 Replies 53 Participants Last post by  merlynusn
There was an SRO in the elementary school in the school shooting in TX. He was shot by the gunman defending the school.
Imagine how many more would be dead if a good guy with a gun wasn’t there.

There was an SRO in the elementary school in the school shooting in TX. He was shot by the gunman defending the school.
Imagine how many more would be dead if a good guy with a gun wasn’t there.

See more
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
39,782 Posts
Yes and me the least. But I do have experience rescuing injured folks, and time is of the essence. So I was surprised the IC stood down while kids were still bleeding, a point made by the NTOA guy.
Stop the killing & then stop the dying.

Stopping the killing has to happen before you can hope to stop the dying (treating wounded).

Rescuing injured persons who are still being shot, or may about to be shot, is a different thing than rescuing a stranded hiker, a swimmer stuck on a cliff face, etc (or whatever your experience may be).

We all want to save children. The trick is to do it without making the situation worse. Mistakes are costly. Seconds - and for damned sure minutes - can change everything. The buck stops on the shoulders of the person making the hard decisions, for good or ill. I suspect that this incident is going to end up mostly in the 'for ill' column.

Let's keep remembering that this is the fault of the twisted person who decided to start killing. Any actions that weakened the on-site security are going to earn a big bite of this sandwich, too. The monsters are always watching, and they're ready to act when the first sign of complacency, apathy or simple inattention on the Part of Good People occurs. (Open school door.)

· Registered
39,782 Posts
If you're seriously thinking of trying to use a locksmith w/lockpicks to unlock a door behind which a shooter is hiding ... better make sure you have a backup locksmith.:whistle:

I've acquired a fair amount of experience with locksmiths picking and drilling locks. They seem to get nervous when they're kneeling in front of a door you're asking them to pick, or a property manager/owner is having them pick/drill ... while you and your partner(s) are are standing off to either side, out of the way of anything that might be coming through - or through - the door. Doesn't seem to make their hands any steadier. Weird, huh? :whistle:

Now, windows or suddenly opened sliding glass doors? Piece of cake. Crunchy underfoot, at times.

Reactions: GPalmer

· Registered
39,782 Posts
... Unfortunately this thread was started without confirmation of facts, just like what the MSM does
Perhaps the same might be said of the initial press releases and news articles?

· Registered
39,782 Posts
It’s a department of 4, one detective and the chief. I bet you there was no SRO assigned that day , was reassigned, or just legitimately on his lunch break
If the online list I saw of the UCISD is correct and up-to-date, does that mean the school district police serve 9 school campuses? If they have to spread 4 SRO's to cover that many school grounds, perhaps they rely upon dispatching a SRO when a call comes in? Otherwise it's luck of the draw whether one is present, or assigned (HS?)?

· Registered
39,782 Posts
Kinda immaterial at this point.

I think at this point it’s that “schools and local govt don’t take student safety & security seriously”

Not sure I'd start painting with that broad of a brush.

Perhaps it might be more fair to speculate that they take it as seriously as they're prompted or required to take it, meaning by voters and the parents of school children. Otherwise, paying it sufficient lip service when nothing bad is happening might seem like enough ... until it's not.

Now, asking officials at local schools and local government public safety services how something is being addressed locally, referencing something horrific that just happened in another school district, might reveal whether parents feel their children's safety is being properly regarded by local officials and services.

The thing is that we've had many years to figure this out and put reasonable safeguards in effect. A lot of them cost money, and it's money that doesn't grow on trees ... and it's tax or bond money that needs to actually go to the specific desired purpose, and not just get kicked into the general pot to be spent as schools (or police?) may wish.

Perhaps many places just haven't had enough squeaky and screechy wheels making noise .... before the sounds of gunfire (or pipe bomb explosions) on school grounds are heard?

· Registered
39,782 Posts
I doubt it’s luck of the draw. You assign them to the problem school(s). You might even assign two of them to the high school and the others to the middle schools . It’s where the majority of the issues will be. You put the resources where they are most “ needed” most often.
Gun play in the high or middle school is much more likely than an active shooter in an elementary school.
It's not like kids (including teenage young adults), who often watch us more than we watch them, can't figure that out, either.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts