Glock Talk banner
1 - 18 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
I just read a CNN article where they said the SRO didnt shoot. Anyone know for sure? Also, anyone know how he gained entry to the school since they supposedly had everything in place to prevent something like this.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Well for starters he dropped all his extra ammo. The gunshots outside also gave them the chance to go into lockdown.

Though having an unlocked door didnt help. Had the door been locked then this wouldnt have happened. As it was, he was only able to get to one classroom.

Anyone know a real timeline? Why was the SRO there where he could confront him, especially if it was in the back? Coincidence or did they see him from far away or what?

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Better yet, why was a backdoor open?
That is the big question. The school system sounds like it had all the right things in place.

My other question is why no one put a mental hold on the suspect for what he had been doing. That would have prevented him from buying a gun had it been entered in the system.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Believe that’s true, but he had barricaded himself in the classroom and I assume not actively shooting anyone. At that point it’s a hostage situation, he may resume shooting if you try to break in, so probably trying to talk him out as long as he wasn’t shooting.

If you’re not sure how secure the door is, how long it’ll take to get in, and he’s stopped shooting, makes sense to hold.

Randy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bad part about a hostage situation is that anyone he shot previously is bleeding out.

Maybe we should reevaluate the procedures for school shooter response.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
If you are an active shooter, and you lock yourself into a room with victims, you are a barricaded ACTIVE SHOOTER, not a barricaded suspect.
That is my take on it now. That even though he isnt actively shooting, he has shot a bunch of people who need immediate medical attention. Just wondering if they had made entry within 5 minutes instead of 40-60 minutes if some of those kids would be alive.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Not if you're no longer actively shooting. Then you're a hostage taker. At least that's how we looked at it. Continued dynamic response by the lesser trained first- responding patrol teams was judged more likely to result in additional civilian casualties than slowing down, containing the subject, and going the negotiator/ SWAT route to end the scenario.

At the end of the day all of these things are an exercise in picking your poison, choosing the lesser of many evils, and trying to engineer the least horrible of many potentially horrible outcomes.
And I guess that is my question: Should that change now?

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Pretty sure the school district police officer is getting called "SRO" in the initial reports.

The question of when that officer got there, and what they did is still in flux.

But SRO or school district LEO, is a battle of semantics.
I disagree with you on the SRO. An SRO is typically considered assigned to a school to provide immediate law enforcement support. A school district police officer is not assigned to a school and is not fulfilling dutied an SRO does. They would be doing whatever their assigned duties are. So if its just a school district LEO then that isnt an SRO.

My old dept would staff the SROs and police response to the schools even though the school system had their own LE agency.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Looks like Chief Arredondo is going under the bus on this one. I get why he made the tactical decision that he did and I also get why, particularly with the benefit of hindsight, it was the wrong decision to make.
I did see a Foxnews article where it said that Chief thought they were all dead in the classroom, so the barricade makes more sense in that situation. Not sure accurate that is though, especially considering the 911 call at 12:16pm.

Does anyone know how many kids inside the room survived?

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
I think you could cover both doors to the hallway from the door between the 2 classrooms.

The ISD is a 4 officer department.

I think hitting 2 doors, at the same time, is a much higher level of skill than can be expected.

Most school doors that I have seen, are solid core wood door in a metal door frame. I think most generally open out. So breaching those won't be an easy task.

I want to know if there were exterior windows. Those can great for surveillance and other things.

I want to know which teacher propped open an exterior door. I would also like to know when the school went on lock down.
It was the teacher in room 132 per the briefing.

I havent heard anything about if/when the school went on lockdown.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
I get we have a lot of experience and training in this forum. Many probably had the same training I have and I am sure some have a good bit more.

However, my view is still this was never a hostage barricade. It is not like he shot someone across the street and then eventually barricaded in the room with the children. Those children in that room were his targets. As long as he has more potential victims and his presence is stopping access to those who were in dire need of medical attention he is still classified as such. He doesn't get the benefit of the doubt just because the shooting temporarily stops. He has shown his willingness to kill and that bell cannot be unrung.

I get why the sequence of events would cause people to question their tactics, no one wants to force entry and have him start shooting whoever was left alive. We all know if that happened the media and everyone else would question why they "barged in". But, you have to assume he is going to do that anyway due to his past actions, as I said earlier these children were his targets. It is a **** sandwich any way you look at it.
Im in the same camp. But our initial training and subsequent training was that once it becomes a barricade you hold and wait for SWAT. Same if the shooting stops, hold and wait for more people (assuming you were in a short team).

I think that this incident will change how these are handled in much the same way Columbine changed the response protocols. I think going forward its going to be locate and neutralize the threat asap.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
If you guys didn’t have the time to watch the video. The woman did not go in and get her kids from the same building as the gunman

The off duty cop who borrowed a shotgun did not do the door entry. He helped the other cops evac the other classrooms through the windows etc.
The cops were not just standing around doing nothing .
And regardless, someone still has to be at the tape providing scene security.

1 - 18 of 20 Posts