Glock Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I would say that on a national level, the singular mission of the SRO must be the same as a Federal Air Marshal.

I just watched Lawrence Jones interview the Border Patrol Chief Patrol Agent (Raul Ortiz). The BP in South Texas has always had a special relationship with the communities where they operate. That became really evident for me when I went through the Border Patrol Academy with most of my classmates being from “the valley.” Great people, even when they got routed to work in Southern California where none of us were really appreciated - tolerated at best. BORTAC has had a long rich history in its own right, including being part of the DEA cocaine lab interdiction operations in Bolivia in the late 80s - early 90s. They have stayed good at what they do throughout their existence.

Until we figure what we’ve really done to bring tragedies like this down upon us (See TX Lt. Governor’s messages), we need to do away with the gun free zone ordinances. We need to remove LEOSA restrictions and encourage retired LE to continue to train and stay current on the emergency response tactics emplowed by the first responders in the communities we reside. We need to figure out how to deal with mental health issues thst lead to this as well as how to stop imminent threats before they rise to these levels without destroying our civil rights.

May the Spirit of God continue to comfort and strengthen the people of Uvalde and everyone else effected by this tragedy.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
While I haven’t been employed in a capacity that would likely put me in a position to be one of the first LEOs on the scene for quite a while, I have tried to keep somewhat abreast of general changes in response tactics. The biggest was several years ago after a tragedy was that the first on the scene try to form up a team with what they had and enter. That was in response to policies requiring SWAT to handle entries. I don’t know what was really going on down in Uvalde, or what the policies were, but it sounds like a team was formed with who was available on the scene at the time. Also, if the gun fire is suddenly silent, no one inside to call out the killer’s location, and the building square footage is large, the team may have to search. And of course there’s no cookie cutter active killer template, these situations, while having some commonality, are also evolving. Individual skills, primarily being able to communicate, move tactically as an individual responder or as a team, and being able to consistently shoot accurately are still highly critical - probably the three most important beyond the individual commitment to enter in the first place with just what you’ve got.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Word according to news reports I’ve seen this morning is that there were no ”armed officers” on the scene initially. There’s going to be a lot more coming out I’m sure, and it’s not necessarily going to pin all the blame on LE. We just have to be patient.

News was also making a big production about having to wait for a ballistic shield. Since I began my career with my second agency twenty-six years ago, we always had shields available, even trained with them at the academy, and occasionally afterwards. They can be heavy for extended carry, and would get really heavy when not so current in technology lights and battery packs were added. The agency bought quality shields, but they were only Level IIIA. Testing old shields past expiration date and no longer considered serviceable, we found they would still stop common handgun rounds, but .223/5.56 zipped thru them like nothing. Level III & IV shields are available on the market, but they’re at least twice the weight of a common IIIA and cost considerably more, or at least did when I was still on that job and pricing new gear. Haven’t heard what level of shield the USMS reportedly brought to the scene and handed off to BORTAC.

The NYT article about the off duty border Patrol Agent having to borrow a shotgun is a lesson for all of us to carry off duty. I think it really needs to be mandatory. In fact, there needs to be a revival of law enforcement attitudes toward firearms, shooting skills and training.

Question regarding ALICE and ALLERTS. The later seems to have FBI blessing. Any differences between the two?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts