Glock Talk banner

An SRO engaged the school shooter in TX

12982 475
There was an SRO in the elementary school in the school shooting in TX. He was shot by the gunman defending the school.
Imagine how many more would be dead if a good guy with a gun wasn’t there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Most mackinest
12,580 Posts
I know locally, no "prohibited persons" that try to buy a gun from an FFL, and get rejected during the background check get prosecuted. No one goes to jail for illegally carrying/possessing a firearm. Violent criminals that get charged with "felon in possession of a firearm" get sent to federal court, because the state courts don't treat that crime seriously.
Here in CO, we do. There can be a lack of prosecutorial appetite at times, but I have an active case on an attempt POWPO. There are a variety of applicable felony state charges we can stack. My experience (including time as a federal TFO) is that the USAO is a waste of time and shoe leather, even with a SAUSA assigned to us.

·
Most mackinest
12,580 Posts
The local DA feels the defendant saying "I didn't realize I was a felon" is an airtight defense to a prohibited person trying to buy a firearm from an FFL.

Felon in possession gets probation through the state courts.

Felon in possession in federal court, if the suspect qualifies as a "violent offender" gets 5-7 years. But it needs to be a rock solid case.

I'm glad other places do better.

The bigger issue IMHO, is that the same politicians that are demanding more gun laws, are often the same one demanding "bail reform", no new jails, and railing against "mass incarceration".

If they want more laws, they should have a plan when people don't obey those laws.
You are so very correct.

I ran into some of that crap on my initial cases. Now, I pull the DOC paperwork that shows they were advised by their parole officer that possession or ownership is a violation. I even compare that form signature with their 4473 signature. 😁

1 - 2 of 2 Posts